Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Marques Brownlee's P100D Steering Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0120.jpg IMG_0119.jpg
Wonder if it has anything to do with him whacking the curb a few times. Two of the wheels are really banged up.

• Disagree
Reactions: sorka and Troy
He acted like a new car isn't allowed to have problems. It's a brand new car with one problem. Once they fix this one problem, he'll likely be good for a long time. Comments on the video are telling him to get rid of the car. That's ridiculous.

. Once they fix this one problem, he'll likely be good for a long time.

That hasn't been my, nor a significant number of other forum members experiences. Tesla's just don't have particularly good reliability or build quality. Its just a trade off you have to consider when choosing to buy one, as Marques had one before I'm sure he's aware of this.

Reactions: davidc18
He acted like a new car isn't allowed to have problems. It's a brand new car with one problem. Once they fix this one problem, he'll likely be good for a long time. Comments on the video are telling him to get rid of the car. That's ridiculous.

No, it's not ridiculous. I've owned multiple Toyotas, an Acura, and a Volkswagen. Never had any issues with any of them, my biggest inconvenience was going for an oil change. Having your steering fail in a brand new, expensive car is what is ridiculous.

I say bring on the negative publicity. Tesla's overall reliability is poor and needs to improve. Tesla won't improve unless it is publicly embarrassed. Musk doesn't focus much on quality, hires poorly qualified people and doesn't hold them accountable - remember when he "slept on the manufacturing line" of Model X to make sure the quality was up to par? You're a really bad CEO if you have to do that, speaks volumes about your management ability (or lack of).

Too many Koolaid drinkers around here...

Wonder if it has anything to do with him whacking the curb a few times. Two of the wheels are really banged up.
How is this at all relevant? The curb rash is on the back wheels.

Seems like you're just looking for reasons to blame the enduser for Tesla's lack of qualitly.
i believe he whacked the front drivers wheel too. There was a discussion elsewhere that the front left tire was banged up pretty well, but that one may have been replaced as it looks ok in the video.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85DBeast and Troy

It's a $150k car with a with a steering wheel problem serious enough that it could have killed him. Not in the same league as the various "NVR" and trim alignment stuff that's more commonly seen around here. If it happened to me, I'd have serious considerations about whether or not the car was safe enough for me to be in...

I have had two steering racks replaced in 8,000 miles. He is not alone here. And I have no curb rash.

Some of the commentary around here is starting to sound like the Land Rover/Range Rover forums... if you complain about any problems with your car, then you "don't get it". Sheesh.

I had a Range Rover before the S. Now thats a car that gives constant issues.

Just had what seems like a very similar failure. I was just pulling out of my condo's driveway onto the street when the steering suddenly got heavy and warning messages appeared on the screen. Something like "Car needs service. Steering assistance reduced." or words to that effect. I could barely wrestle the car to the curb. Steering makes a lot of noise, sounds like a turbine whining, when I turn the wheel off-center. So now I await Roadside Assistance....good thing my car is still under warranty!

I was on my way to pick up my grandson and bring him to a hockey game. I am grateful that this failure did not occur on a highway at high speed, with him in the car....