TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Marques Brownlee's P100D Steering Issues

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by EV-lutioin, Dec 20, 2016.

1. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Marques Brownlee is a fairly popular you-tuber who having some serious steering issues with his MS P100D. Has anyone else experienced this issue? This kind of publicity can't be very good for Tesla.

2. DIL

DIL Supporting Member

Yeah I watch his stuff. It's too bad because he was super pumped about "Apollo", his P100D

3. Hrhkee

Hrhkee Doing research. Brb

I'm curious to find out the root cause and the risk of this happening to others. Cool reviewer cool video. Too bad Apollo is jealous of his phones.

4. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

IMG_0120.jpg IMG_0119.jpg
    Wonder if it has anything to do with him whacking the curb a few times. Two of the wheels are really banged up.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  5. Hrhkee

Hrhkee Doing research. Brb

Was that a result of the issue?

6. nagypite

nagypite Member

He damaged his car then he blames Tesla...

• Disagree x 3
  7. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

He acted like a new car isn't allowed to have problems. It's a brand new car with one problem. Once they fix this one problem, he'll likely be good for a long time. Comments on the video are telling him to get rid of the car. That's ridiculous.

8. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

That hasn't been my, nor a significant number of other forum members experiences. Tesla's just don't have particularly good reliability or build quality. Its just a trade off you have to consider when choosing to buy one, as Marques had one before I'm sure he's aware of this.

• Like x 1
  9. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

No, it's not ridiculous. I've owned multiple Toyotas, an Acura, and a Volkswagen. Never had any issues with any of them, my biggest inconvenience was going for an oil change. Having your steering fail in a brand new, expensive car is what is ridiculous.

I say bring on the negative publicity. Tesla's overall reliability is poor and needs to improve. Tesla won't improve unless it is publicly embarrassed. Musk doesn't focus much on quality, hires poorly qualified people and doesn't hold them accountable - remember when he "slept on the manufacturing line" of Model X to make sure the quality was up to par? You're a really bad CEO if you have to do that, speaks volumes about your management ability (or lack of).

Too many Koolaid drinkers around here...

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 3
  10. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

That curb rash is horrible! If you look closely at the wheels at 1:34 and 3:16 looks like that might be the cause of the issue! If not hopefully this won't happen to my P100D!

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

How is this at all relevant? The curb rash is on the back wheels.

Seems like you're just looking for reasons to blame the enduser for Tesla's lack of qualitly.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  12. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???:confused:

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  13. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

i believe he whacked the front drivers wheel too. There was a discussion elsewhere that the front left tire was banged up pretty well, but that one may have been replaced as it looks ok in the video.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  14. SCDrJ

SCDrJ Member

#14 SCDrJ, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    I have had two steering racks replaced in 8,000 miles. He is not alone here. And I have no curb rash.

Some of the commentary around here is starting to sound like the Land Rover/Range Rover forums... if you complain about any problems with your car, then you "don't get it". Sheesh.

• Like x 2
  15. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

I have a P100D and have not experienced this issue.

16. eyespii

eyespii Member

It's a $150k car with a with a steering wheel problem serious enough that it could have killed him. Not in the same league as the various "NVR" and trim alignment stuff that's more commonly seen around here. If it happened to me, I'd have serious considerations about whether or not the car was safe enough for me to be in...

• Like x 2
  17. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  18. Zooomer

Zooomer Member

Great video. The guy truly appears like a Tesla fan and I'm glad I got to see his experience and how Tesla handled it. Not to mention if I ever have this issue, I'll know what's up.

• Like x 1
  19. zambono

zambono Member

I had a Range Rover before the S. Now thats a car that gives constant issues.