Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mashing the accelerator, a lot...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to search for this, but didn't really find anything. I basically would like to know how much is too much when it comes to jamming the accelerator??

I picked up my M3 on Monday and immediately bought the boost. I haven't really driven all that much, but whenever I have driven it I'm just addicted to flooring the thing. It seems most pleasurable when jamming it around 20 to 30(ish)mph, but still extremely fun from a stop. I really missed that feeling I had in my S7 knowing I can overtake nearly every single car on the road. I have a need for speed that is sometimes insatiable.

So would I have to do this a LOT in order to damage the batteries?? I will have to cut it way down if it can really cause damage - that's all I'm wondering right now.

Technically hard acceleration (especially at highway speeds where it requires more power) will impact battery health. Probably a fairly small amount.

I don't think there's clear numbers though. You can also only accelerate hard for so long before needing to slow down. Reality somewhat limits how long you can do large power draws for. A burst here and there is unlikely to make a noticeable difference.

You'll eventually tire of the right pedal smashing.... :)

giphy.gif

Yeah, this is an amazing car, but it can be super rough on tires. All that torque....
It's even worse on the RWD version. The rear wheels take all the acceleration force AND almost all the braking force (if you drive 1 pedal). I didn't rotate my tires, and the rear was bald while the front looked almost brand new.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Mash it, mash it real good. Everyone that does not live in California has a obligation to show the public electric cars are not slow and boring. Keep in mind you can mash the accelerator and still not speed. You can be the first car at a red light on autopilot and you can still mash it, I believe autopilot will lock out at 90 MPH.

You can feel sorry for the tires in a future thread.

LOL! you guys are cracking me up. I thought you all would like "mash it" lol

But in all seriousness, not to toot my own horn but I'm an excellent driver...I chalk it up to years of experience and plenty of time at the track.

I'm not young anymore though, so I'm no longer interested in "fast", as in high speeds. I used to race against crotch rockets @ over 150mph on the highway when I had my Z06 many years ago.

I never outgrew the rush of *quickness* though - the good old 0-60 romp - THAT just never gets old. But I'm always safe, so no worries there. I've just been paranoid about wrecking the batteries, but from what you guys have said, it shouldn't be too much of a concern...so I'm gonna keep mashing away :D

• Love
Reactions: Reborn