Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mashing the accelerator, a lot...

Gasaraki

Oct 21, 2019
Syracuse, NY
I tried to search for this, but didn't really find anything. I basically would like to know how much is too much when it comes to jamming the accelerator??

I picked up my M3 on Monday and immediately bought the boost. I haven't really driven all that much, but whenever I have driven it I'm just addicted to flooring the thing. It seems most pleasurable when jamming it around 20 to 30(ish)mph, but still extremely fun from a stop. I really missed that feeling I had in my S7 knowing I can overtake nearly every single car on the road. I have a need for speed that is sometimes insatiable.

So would I have to do this a LOT in order to damage the batteries?? I will have to cut it way down if it can really cause damage - that's all I'm wondering right now.

Just enjoy. It's not going to break anything.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt

iwannam3

Aug 8, 2016
Washington
You can get a ticket for aggressive acceleration. Depends on the state on what they call it. Speed racing, even not exceeding the speed limit or against another car, exhibitionist driving, etc. A friend got a ticket on an on ramp for accelerating rapidly to the posted limit.

Aphinity

Hydro power is best!
Jun 9, 2020
North Vancouver, BC Canada
Has anyone had the drive axels fail on their M3 from this kind of use? That'd be far more of my concern rather than battery degradation. That torque has to transfer to the wheels somehow. Anyone trying to quarter-mile track drive a FWD car knows the pain of spitting axels onto the track surface.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White

TyH2009

Apr 12, 2019
St. Louis
You can get a ticket for aggressive acceleration. Depends on the state on what they call it. Speed racing, even not exceeding the speed limit or against another car, exhibitionist driving, etc. A friend got a ticket on an on ramp for accelerating rapidly to the posted limit.
The good part about an electric vehicle vs. and ICE vehicle is you don't make a bunch of noise doing so, so less of a chance a cop will hear you a mile away.

• Love
Reactions: Reborn and lUtriaNt

lolder

Jun 11, 2016
SW Florida
I have a LR RWD. I rotated tires once at 10k miles. At 20K+ the wear is equal with sedate small town driving. I may not rotate again. Trend is toward 35-40 k mile life. I find fewer and fewer takers for stop light drags. The word has gotten around. That being said, never let a stop light/sign go to waste to goose it a little. Half-pedal is enough.

• Funny
Reactions: Reborn
Mar 25, 2019
Indianapolis, IN
Mine is a stealth P3D, OEM tires...well..I left them on a few miles too long (like...probably 5k too long...) and replaced them at ~30k miles, rears were nearly bald and fronts still had significant life. I did not rotate, my fault for not paying attention to wear. I'm paying attention now, rotated after ~8k on current set of tires (Nitto Motivos). I'm going to watch for front and rears to even out (rears were already showing more wear than fronts) and rotate again. I hope I can legitimately get 35k out of these tires. Heavy car + super high torque + heavy foot = rear tires wearing quick! Totally worth it for the jump to hyperspace from every stoplight at which I'm first in line! :D

Reactions: Arctic_White

Sukhshanti

Apr 18, 2020
Sacramento, CA
I live in Sacramento and I feel like I am the only one that doesn't drive my Tesla like a Prius albeit I do own a P3D-. I am regularly mashing the pedal whenever I catch a red at a stop light or see an open gap in traffic. I don't drive like a complete asshole aka cutting people off, but I do regularly exceed, sometimes double the speed limit on city streets. I came from an ICE car and I thought I would miss the "vroom vroom" sounds but now I absolutely love the stealth factor since the car doesn't draw any attention from the popo.

Black306

Oct 14, 2019
Sacramento
I live in Sacramento and I feel like I am the only one that doesn't drive my Tesla like a Prius albeit I do own a P3D-. I am regularly mashing the pedal whenever I catch a red at a stop light or see an open gap in traffic. I don't drive like a complete asshole aka cutting people off, but I do regularly exceed, sometimes double the speed limit on city streets. I came from an ICE car and I thought I would miss the "vroom vroom" sounds but now I absolutely love the stealth factor since the car doesn't draw any attention from the popo.
Sac P3D owner-that-doesn’t-drive-it-like-a-Prius-owner here. :D

• Love
Reactions: Sukhshanti

Luudcrs

Dec 11, 2018
SF Bay Area
I really missed that feeling I had in my S7 knowing I can overtake nearly every single car on the road.

So how does the Model 3 compare?

I'm paying attention now, rotated after ~8k on current set of tires (Nitto Motivos). I'm going to watch for front and rears to even out (rears were already showing more wear than fronts) and rotate again. I hope I can legitimately get 35k out of these tires. Heavy car + super high torque + heavy foot = rear tires wearing quick! Totally worth it for the jump to hyperspace from every stoplight at which I'm first in line! :D

How are you liking the Nittos? I need new shoes.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
I don't think your battery will be damaged unless you constantly Supercharge to 100%. More like your tires and maybe your brakes (if you have to suddenly stop a lot).

You'll eventually tire of the right pedal smashing.... :)
Yep on the wear and tear, including parts of the suspension

Nothing particularly EV related, just a LOT of torque on the moving parts

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC