TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mass Pike getting new EV charging stations

Discussion in 'New England' started by ModelNforNerd, Jul 19, 2016.

1. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

#1 ModelNforNerd, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Electric vehicles will get a charge along Mass Pike

While not Superchargers, 50kW stations should be enough to fill in some gaps.

Honestly though, in the locations they've mentioned in Western MA, there is already good SC coverage, but in Eastern MA, the Framingham and Natick charging stations will be good. Especially Natick, coming east into the city....long distance travelers will be able to snare some electrons to do some city driving during their stay.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  2. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Good catch on the article.

3. Victor Liu

Victor Liu Member

So I assume "Fast Chargers" requires CHAdeMO adapters? I drive from NJ to North Reading every 3-4 months so this is welcome news. I dont mind purchasing the adapter.

4. ModelNforNerd

The article doesn't have much info, but it's worth keeping an eye on in the coming months to see if they go with CCS or CHAdeMO.

5. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Once Tesla finishes the Lee SC I'm not sure how useful these would be for Teslas since with that, W. Springfield, and Auburn, most of the Pike outside Boston is pretty well covered.

6. Pollux

Pollux Member

Is there a pent-up demand by Leaf or i3/i8 or other EV owners who want to travel longer distances, stopping every 40-50 miles to recharge?

I ask this question seriously as I have never viewed ANY of the other EVs on the market as suitable for long-distance travel. I'm wondering whether these particular chargers could change that (at least along the Pike).

Thanks,
    Alan

7. David29

David29 Member

Also will be interesting to learn whether they are free chargers. If they are truly DC high speed chargers, I doubt they will be free. My guess is that they will be supplied and operated by someone like NRG, who has high-speed chargers at local Simon shopping malls.

To try to learn more, I did a search on the MassDOT web site and could find no mention of the project.

8. David29

David29 Member

If the state is doing this at least partially to promote EV usage, then it is perhaps doing not so much for current usage as for future potential usage. Besides, both Nissan and Chevy have announced near-term plans for 220-mile range cars, so the demand should be there fairly soon if it is not already.

9. ModelNforNerd

#9 ModelNforNerd, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Remember, Tesla approached MassDOT about superchargers, but they didn't want to be seen as favoring one brand over others, so this is what we got.

10. ModelNforNerd

I got the impression from the article that MassDOT is providing the land, and whichever provider will be in charge of maintenance.

I'm guessing ChargePoint, as they have some chargers at MassDOT/T locations already.

11. tga

tga Active Member

So that's 8.33 kWh delivered in 10 min, or 16.67 delivered in 20 min (assuming no taper). Somewhat optimistic charging times, Jacquelyn.

12. ModelNforNerd

I don't think they went with Tesla numbers. Lol.

Those tiny little Leaf batteries... Maybe

13. David29

David29 Member

I was pleasantly surprised that this was a story on tonight's Ch. 4 (WBZ) TV news.

• Like x 1
  14. ModelNforNerd

5:30am comes much too early for me to catch news at 10.

Did WBZ have any more details, or did they just basically read the article out loud?

15. GSP

GSP Member

Cross ountry travel 50 miles at a time is not practical for most people. However, fast chargers are very useful for 80-mile EVs like the Leaf. Owners can travel to a destination 50-60 miles away, get a fast charge and return. If more than 2-3 stops are needed, then they have to resort to a backup ICE vehicle.

Just like highways that run across the entire continent are still useful to travel across town, or to a nearby town, fast chargers along these highways are also useful.

GSP

16. SureValla

SureValla Member

interesting that CT took the opposite approach as can be seen by superchargers at 2 I-95 rest stops (N&S) and one along the meritt parkway

• Like x 1
  17. SureValla

SureValla Member

agreed, I still really want one in Boston (I'd settle for Cambridge/Allston/Brookline though)

18. bigmaple1

bigmaple1 Member

Hopefully they will put in enough electrical infrastructure, so that they can put in higher power chargers once the marketplace and technology are there. 10 minutes @50kw (ie 10kw) will get you about 30-40 rated miles, probably enough to get you to the next MassPike charger if you are on a trip. Stopping for 10 minutes every 30 miles would require a very dedicated driver, with lots of extra time for their trip, and lots of risk (charger broken or with reduced power output, line at the charger, etc)

19. ModelNforNerd

The good thing about this if you're headed west out of Boston in a Tesla....you can get enough charge in Natick headed westbound, to get you to the Supercharger in Auburn.

Let those other cars worry about going 80 miles and stopping 30 minutes each time.

20. ModelNforNerd