Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mass Pike getting new EV charging stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electric vehicles will get a charge along Mass Pike

While not Superchargers, 50kW stations should be enough to fill in some gaps.

Honestly though, in the locations they've mentioned in Western MA, there is already good SC coverage, but in Eastern MA, the Framingham and Natick charging stations will be good. Especially Natick, coming east into the city....long distance travelers will be able to snare some electrons to do some city driving during their stay.

Last edited:
Is there a pent-up demand by Leaf or i3/i8 or other EV owners who want to travel longer distances, stopping every 40-50 miles to recharge?

I ask this question seriously as I have never viewed ANY of the other EVs on the market as suitable for long-distance travel. I'm wondering whether these particular chargers could change that (at least along the Pike).

Thanks,
Alan

Also will be interesting to learn whether they are free chargers. If they are truly DC high speed chargers, I doubt they will be free. My guess is that they will be supplied and operated by someone like NRG, who has high-speed chargers at local Simon shopping malls.

To try to learn more, I did a search on the MassDOT web site and could find no mention of the project.

Is there a pent-up demand by Leaf or i3/i8 or other EV owners who want to travel longer distances, stopping every 40-50 miles to recharge?

I ask this question seriously as I have never viewed ANY of the other EVs on the market as suitable for long-distance travel. I'm wondering whether these particular chargers could change that (at least along the Pike).

Thanks,
Alan

If the state is doing this at least partially to promote EV usage, then it is perhaps doing not so much for current usage as for future potential usage. Besides, both Nissan and Chevy have announced near-term plans for 220-mile range cars, so the demand should be there fairly soon if it is not already.

Also will be interesting to learn whether they are free chargers. If they are truly DC high speed chargers, I doubt they will be free. My guess is that they will be supplied and operated by someone like NRG, who has high-speed chargers at local Simon shopping malls.

To try to learn more, I did a search on the MassDOT web site and could find no mention of the project.
I got the impression from the article that MassDOT is providing the land, and whichever provider will be in charge of maintenance.

I'm guessing ChargePoint, as they have some chargers at MassDOT/T locations already.

Electric vehicles will soon be able to power up at 50-kilowatt charging stations on the Massachusetts Turnpike.

“Each station is ‘fast charging’ and in about 10 minutes can charge an electric vehicle to about 80 percent power, and in about 20 minutes can charge a 
vehicle to about 100 percent power,” MassDOT spokeswoman Jacquelyn Goddard said.
So that's 8.33 kWh delivered in 10 min, or 16.67 delivered in 20 min (assuming no taper). Somewhat optimistic charging times, Jacquelyn.

Thanks,
Alan

Cross ountry travel 50 miles at a time is not practical for most people. However, fast chargers are very useful for 80-mile EVs like the Leaf. Owners can travel to a destination 50-60 miles away, get a fast charge and return. If more than 2-3 stops are needed, then they have to resort to a backup ICE vehicle.

Just like highways that run across the entire continent are still useful to travel across town, or to a nearby town, fast chargers along these highways are also useful.

GSP

Hopefully they will put in enough electrical infrastructure, so that they can put in higher power chargers once the marketplace and technology are there. 10 minutes @50kw (ie 10kw) will get you about 30-40 rated miles, probably enough to get you to the next MassPike charger if you are on a trip. Stopping for 10 minutes every 30 miles would require a very dedicated driver, with lots of extra time for their trip, and lots of risk (charger broken or with reduced power output, line at the charger, etc)

Hopefully they will put in enough electrical infrastructure, so that they can put in higher power chargers once the marketplace and technology are there. 10 minutes @50kw (ie 10kw) will get you about 30-40 rated miles, probably enough to get you to the next MassPike charger if you are on a trip. Stopping for 10 minutes every 30 miles would require a very dedicated driver, with lots of extra time for their trip, and lots of risk (charger broken or with reduced power output, line at the charger, etc)

The good thing about this if you're headed west out of Boston in a Tesla....you can get enough charge in Natick headed westbound, to get you to the Supercharger in Auburn.

Let those other cars worry about going 80 miles and stopping 30 minutes each time.