Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And? Internet expressions on a website, by those with certain beliefs, is a very different thing than a consensus. What you mean is you have heard others believe what you believe. Same question, who gives a fu*k?

I think the real question is: If you don't care, then why are you posting?

Internet forums are for discussion, which is what most people here are doing.

And? Internet expressions on a website, by those with certain beliefs, is a very different thing than a consensus. What you mean is you have heard others believe what you believe. Same question, who gives a fu*k?

Jeez. It’s not like we can go to the polls to find out an objective truth. At the end of the day it’s clear to me the general feeling on it. And that’s fine if you disagree.

And you believe that because you believe that, William. But this is clearly a sampling bias, nothing more. The fact that you and others prefer to ride the brake in reverse while I and many others prefer to use one-pedal driving proves only that human beings are not all the same. I will say it again, there is no universal truth in creep. Can we break the circle?

And you believe that because you believe that, William. But this is clearly a sampling bias, nothing more. The fact that you and others prefer to ride the brake in reverse while I and many others prefer to use one-pedal driving proves only that human beings are not all the same. I will say it again, there is no universal truth in creep. Can we break the circle?

This does actually bring up an interesting question... everyone seems to prefer something different, BUT, the common norm was creep (from ICE days). When you put the car in valet mode, does it default to a config as close to an ICE car as possible? Because I could see a lot of young new valets in a rush backing the car into something on the one pedal mode....

I think the real question is: If you don't care, then why are you posting?

Internet forums are for discussion, which is what most people here are doing.

Right, well this creep discussion has continued ad nauseam from post to post with the same absurd insistence. I didn't imply I didn't give a sh*t about the discussions, I asked who gives a fu*k if one person prefers creep while another does not. That's a very different question.

I live on the Tesla Reddit. Pretty much everyone is saying the same thing. Great for driving, reversing into a tight space is tough. I think it might be even a little tougher than Roll mode, but I’d need to take some time to compare.

I’m not obsessed. This has been the big change that most people use every day so the comparisons are important!

I'm of the same mindset -- but I'm forcing myself to give it a few days before switching back to creep. One alternative would be hold-for-drive, creep-for-reverse, as someone else suggested, but here's a random crazy thought: scroll wheel "trim": When in reverse (or maybe when in hold regardless of gear) the right scroll wheel is inch-forward, inch-backward. Each click moves the car 1 inch.

This does actually bring up an interesting question... everyone seems to prefer something different, BUT, the common norm was creep (from ICE days). When you put the car in valet mode, does it default to a config as close to an ICE car as possible? Because I could see a lot of young new valets in a rush backing the car into something on the one pedal mode....

Good question. Put it in Valet mode and test it. I'll do that if I have time this pm.

I got he update last night. Right after the update, the stop mode was set to HOLD. However, after I switched profile and switched back to mime, it was set to ROLL (I had no creep before). After you upgrade make sure to toggle profiles so you won't have any surprises.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
I wonder if for non-HW3.0 owners that have AutoPilot, does cone detection along its path at least alert the driver? I don’t care if there’s no visualization but a cone is an obstacle. I have seen “construction detected” message on a couple of occasions but it’s be very inconsistent.
I just went by a few construction zones on AP (HW2.5). No come visualization or detection. Cones were right in the drive line and I got not warning.

• Informative
Reactions: Kmartyn
I'm of the same mindset -- but I'm forcing myself to give it a few days before switching back to creep. One alternative would be hold-for-drive, creep-for-reverse, as someone else suggested, but here's a random crazy thought: scroll wheel "trim": When in reverse (or maybe when in hold regardless of gear) the right scroll wheel is inch-forward, inch-backward. Each click moves the car 1 inch.

Interesting idea. Tesla likes to keep it simple though. Imagine someone scrolling the wrong wheel (thinking they were doing volume) and BAM! Ouch.

After this hold mode, I notice a green bar all the way down to 0. I've always had the green bar down to 4 mph before this. I see some conflicting evidence from folks posting video with no green bar to zero. Are these folks driving up hill and not realizing it?
June Build HW 3.0.

Interesting idea. Tesla likes to keep it simple though. Imagine someone scrolling the wrong wheel (thinking they were doing volume) and BAM! Ouch.

I agree that the quoted situation seems confusing. BUT, in the config area you could select "Hold" and then three sub buttons could show up below it with "Creep", "Roll", "Hold" and you could select the reverse behavior. Still a little more complex, but most likely it'll be a set it once and that's how it is kind of thing. While hold works for me in my garage at home (that I back into), I'm not sure I would use it in parking structures in cities where it's really tight and I sometimes will undo my belt to really get a good sight line for getting the bumper four or five inches away from solid concrete so I'm as far away from other cars as possible or something :p

Edit: I'm still surprised no SR+ supercharging testing! I'm at 70% battery and only use about 6% a day, but maybe I'll leave it unplugged for the rest of the week and test it on Saturday to see what I can get supercharging...

My software updated last night, so today was the first day I had to try it. I had jury duty, and at noon they released about a hundred of us all at once. It was stop and go traffic all the way down from three stories up in the parking structure with so many leaving at once.

“Hold” mode was freakin’ awesome. I never touched the brake all the way down to the street. My X is 5500lbs or so, and it held fine on the medium incline.

Using it to pull slowly into a parking space, and back home into the garage was issue free, and quite easy, as is backing down my slightly inclined drive.

It’s for sure got a different feel than “Roll”, but quite easy to get used to, at least in the X. I’ve never used creep, never saw the point in that, but to each their own for sure.

I love this car even more than I did before.

After this hold mode, I notice a green bar all the way down to 0. I've always had the green bar down to 4 mph before this. I see some conflicting evidence from folks posting video with no green bar to zero. Are these folks driving up hill and not realizing it?
June Build HW 3.0.

Drive down a hill at 5mph and then come off the accelerator. You can see the car will actually use energy to stop itself. Repeatable every time.

Got it yesterday (TM3P Sept 2019 build FSD, need to change my user name...) and after 6 miles of city driving one parallel and two perpendicular parking(s) I've noticed a couple of things.

-it was set to hold after the install, formally creep
-when plugging in just now amperage was set to 48, I charge at 26, didn't let it try to through the breaker
-when rolling to a stop the 'click' under the dash is the brake pedal being actuated (yay!) I can see it release when I start to move forward
-when backing along my 70 foot driveway it takes extra attention, probably because it's new and different, not better or worse, just different (IMHO)
-when closing in on the garage workbench, in reverse, it seems much quicker to come to a stop when letting off the go/no go pedal, no coasting like at a stop light, again, might just be me, I am going to put some packing foam where I would hit just in case.
-hold in traffic is (again IMHO) great but does require a well modulated right foot, it is a Tesla!

Really like this car, more every time I drive her. It's raining here so testing the +5% (from a stop) will have to wait.