Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took my 3 out after the update to test the Hold Stopping Mode. Love it. It didn't take long for me to adjust to it.

When I got home, I noticed I couldn't bring up Autopark with a double press. I use this to let the car park itself in the garage. I also use plain Summon, which I checked and it still works fine.

I checked the Summon settings for not requiring continuous press and everything is correct. I tried rebooting and also moving back to Roll Mode, but no luck. I included FSD at time of purchase. Anyone else having this issue?

Huh? If it’s engaging the motor to spin the opposite direction just enough to counteract “gravity” of the car rolling down the hill, it is indeed spinning the motor the opposite direction (reverse). Just because the motor doesn’t go into actual reverse (taking you back up the hill) doesn’t mean it’s not spinning in the other direction.

Think of it like a ceiling fan rotating clockwise at speed. You can make it rotate counterclockwise with the switch or remote etc. The fan will then reverse its motor but the blades don’t just immediately spin the other way if it’s already spinning clockwise.
There is no clutch on these cars, the only way the motor spins in reverse is if the wheels also spin in reverse. No other way about it.

It is possible to apply reverse power to the motor to slow the car down but that will use power thus lowering effeciency.

Reactions: RobRain
There is no clutch on these cars, the only way the motor spins in reverse is if the wheels also spin in reverse. No other way about it.

It is possible to apply reverse power to the motor to slow the car down but that will use power thus lowering effeciency.

But that’s exactly what I’m saying! What I’m seeing is the motor is applying reverse power and is lowering efficiency because it has to expend energy to stop the car from approximately 5mph.

I’ll let some engineering expert chime in here, but that’s what I’m seeing, and the regen bar confirms it to me.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but for scheduled departure, how long does it keep the cabin at temperature for? For example, if I have my scheduled departure time set for 6am, and I end up actually leaving at 8am, will the cabin's temperature still be maintained? Or does it shut off after an hour or something?

I can't speak to HW3, still sitting on 2.5 - but the back up camera on the TM3 is one of the best I've seen on anything I've been in yet.

Yep. Zero frame-rate issues on HW2.5. It’s just us “unlucky” HW3 owners with the janky frame rate.

Also the camera isn’t THAT good. It’s perfectly acceptable, but it has massive amounts of barrel distortion so that it’s not easy to tell “exactly” how far away you are from a wall etc.

Last edited:
Downloaded and updating now, using the 5 Tap method. Will go for a ride after, I have cones in the area. HW2.5.

3CDE9847-7A9B-4F1C-855E-D842FE54A323.jpeg

I’m really bothered by the release notes. It uses the word “blend” for Hold mode, but it doesn’t make sense in this context. There’s no blending to keep the vehicle stopped. It’s just an application of the friction brakes.

So the question still remains - is there any blending of the friction brakes to bring the car to a stop? We know the friction brakes are applied to KEEP the vehicle stopped. Wish Tesla had been more clear on their description.
That's not true, for as much as a full second mine has been held on a hill by the motor, this happens in both directions. The brake doesn't get applied straight away.

That's not true, for as much as a full second mine has been held on a hill by the motor, this happens in both directions. The brake doesn't get applied straight away.

Not sure which part isn't true? Blending means the regenerative braking+friction braking. I've not seen any evidence of this in the Model 3's new Hold mode. What we have in this new Hold mode (as far as I can tell) is regenerative braking down to around 5mph, then "motor"-braking (the motor "reversing" to slow the vehicle") till 0mph, then - yes - for a second it's JUST that motor holding the vehicle in place, and then bam - friction brakes hold the vehicle in place permanently - which is when the Hold symbol appears on the screen.

At no point do I think there's regenerative braking+friction braking going on. At no point is there any blend of anything going on that I can tell. But again, this is my experience having tested this a few times this evening to specifically see what's going on. I'm no expert.

I’m guessing maybe they have the motor stop the car to address some of the rolling issues people reported in the earlier release. I imagine they will optimize this over time, but has been pretty good for me so far even if it may be less efficient than coasting.

Ok these are my observations, 100 cones, Zero cones on the screen, so the cones win this one. HW2.5 that’s why.

The regen is very aggressive now, slowing you down immediately and even at 90% charge BUT it will not Stop the car on a flat grade or down slope road, it stays around 3mph and that because Hold wasn’t saved in my profile and it reverted back to Roll.

UPDATE: make sure that you save “Hold” mode in your profile or it will revert to Roll once you press on the brakes to start the car.

Did not try out the 5% Power Boost, no need too it’s not a Performance so who cares.

Fred

A8EC6AA2-A9D0-4754-B369-F8AEDC600184.jpeg

Last edited: