Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One-pedal driving is something I had been eagerly looking forward to since I bought the car a year ago. I tried the HOLD mode for the past day, and it pains me to say that I don't really like this implementation for the following reasons:
1. For whatever reason, the motor noise seems significant louder when in HOLD than in ROLL.
2. For my driving style (lift my foot off of the go pedal often to maintain a good constant distant between my car and the car in front), HOLD seems to be less energy efficient for the 100+ mile (about 60/40 Highway/City mix) with it on.
3. The ride seems rougher when HOLD is on. I have to admit this may be something in my head, because of the extra motor noise I am hearing.

Furthermore, HOLD's performance in snowy/icy weather is unknown at the moment.

I have gone back to ROLL. :(

I've noticed all of the above except unsure about #3, I'm still on the fence about it but keeping it enabled so far because it has some advantages too.

Also apparently there are also some weird edge cases where it can produce unexpected torque and acceleration. This is all confusing theory/guesswork, but it seems to apply "negative" torque to decelerate the car on a hill against gravity (i.e. powered motor torque instead of friction brakes or just regen). But to do that it needs to sense the road grade and predict the correct amount of torque to counteract gravity, but sometimes the prediction is wrong because the road grade changes unexpectedly, and so it generates torque the wrong way. There were some folks on Reddit reporting unexpected acceleration from the feature. It's somewhat reproducible on a moderate incline, if you reverse and slowly turn left or right to 45-90 degrees, then lift off the accelerator, the braking torque is applied forward instead of backwards (it still thinks you're going uphill).

I tried out the 'hold' feature and like it enough to keep using it. Not for the one pedal driving though -- that is nice but I don't care enough one way or another. The part that sold me is the extra insurance that if I forget to put the car in 'park' before I exit the the car will do it for me since it is already in 'hold.'

Awesome, and a worry resolved. Thank you, Tesla !

I tried out the 'hold' feature and like it enough to keep using it. ... The part that sold me is the extra insurance that if I forget to put the car in 'park' before I exit the the car will do it for me since it is already in 'hold.'

The car would always shift to Park when you exit. It has nothing to do with the new HOLD mode. Here's the paragraph in the manual on this:

Note: Model 3 automatically shifts into Park whenever it is determined that you are exiting the vehicle, even when you shift into Neutral before exiting.

I can agree that acceleration feels tighter on HOLD...or maybe it’s the slightly stronger regen making it feel tighter...

I like it after day 1...also appreciating the departure time charging here in the chilly northeast.

I had oddly gravitated to creep before but now I am a hold convert. Enjoying the one pedal driving in stoplight to stoplight.

I am still getting used to careful pedal "feathering" when backing into spaces so I don't end up doing start-stop-start-stop, but overall I think this is the best mode.

Huh? If it’s engaging the motor to spin the opposite direction just enough to counteract “gravity” of the car rolling down the hill, it is indeed spinning the motor the opposite direction (reverse). Just because the motor doesn’t go into actual reverse (taking you back up the hill) doesn’t mean it’s not “spinning” in the other direction.

Think of it like a ceiling fan rotating clockwise at speed. You can make it rotate counterclockwise with the switch or remote etc. The fan will then reverse its motor but the blades don’t just immediately spin the other way if it’s already spinning clockwise.

I think maybe people are misunderstanding this comment. It’s not LITERALLY spinning the motor in the opposite direction. There are no gears. So if the motor were literally spinning the opposite direction the car would be moving backwards. What I’m saying is the motor is basically working toward spinning that direction - reducing torque to counteract the vehicle’s movement in one direction.

The fan analogy is still my favorite way to explain it. The fan speed is forcefully slowed down when you switch rotation while they’re spinning one way. That’s what the motor is doing here.

Anyway, this is what’s happening. Hopefully that clarifies things.

Anyone had

1) The HOLD setting spontaneously turn off? had to stop, put car in Park, and set it - several times to finally get it to stick.

2) Coming to a red light, around 25 MPH, letting go of the accel, and the car not slowing down as expected, more like "it used to be", requiring use of the brakes kind of "at the last minute" ;-) ? The battery read ~ 150 miles out of 265 max, so regen space was ample. And Hold was working on the very next slowdown.

3) Yes, driving in NOA, the decelerations are a bit more brutal with Hold on. But somehow it feels like the car car has more, safer, bigger braking ability. Kind of goes with the extra power on accel.

Last edited:
One minor bug I've been experiencing is very short, less than one second long times when it sounds like the rear and side speakers turn off, leaving only the speakers along the front of the dashboard. It's very intermittent - it only happened maybe 4 times today, and the events are very brief, so it's not a big deal, but still incorrect behavior. Never happened before this update.

Not sure if this is the same issue but I started hearing a clicking sound (kind of like a brake shim shifting) whenever I would accelerate or decelerate. It turned into more of a ping pong ball bouncing sound (softer clicks after the first) after a while. Took it to the SC and they tightened the rear axle mounts but it didn't fix the problem. When I took it back the second time they replaced the rear axle. Clicking Sound went away. The techs at the SC were well aware of the issue. Original production LR RWD Vin 249xx. Def suggest taking it in while still under warranty.

Not sure if this is the same issue but I started hearing a clicking sound (kind of like a brake shim shifting) whenever I would accelerate or decelerate. It turned into more of a ping pong ball bouncing sound (softer clicks after the first) after a while. Took it to the SC and they tightened the rear axle mounts but it didn't fix the problem. When I took it back the second time they replaced the rear axle. Clicking Sound went away. The techs at the SC were well aware of the issue. Original production LR RWD Vin 249xx. Def suggest taking it in while still under warranty.

Not the same issue. Willing to bet every Model 3 has this “issue” which isn’t actually an issue per se, but I can understand it’s annoying to some people. I tend to always have music playing but if I didn’t I’m sure this would bug me more.

Yes, I noticed this too. The regen seems more "gentle" now, and requires either lifting off the accel pedal much earlier or using the brakes. I thought I was crazy when my habitual regen braking points on my commute left me sailing towards intersections (okay that's an exaggeration, but I had to use pedal brake). I like the one-pedal driving and hold setting, but also definitely prefer the more aggressive regen profile.

Hope they change it back.
thanks for this confirmation, thought I was going crazy. Hope they come with an extra regen option next to standard and low and make an aggresive option like it was :)

does anyone know that when using the brake it actually first regen and then use the ‘real’ breaks? Otherwise this updates makes the real breaks wears out much earlier !

Reactions: nojtheta
My HW3 Tesla shows the traffic cones but does not turn away from them. Today there was a continuous arc of cones forcing me to merge right into the inner lane. I was on AP (not FSD or NAVonAP) and watched carefully to see what would happen. The car moved a little bit over but I had to take over before it clipped a cone. Has anyone had luck with their Tesla avoiding cones?

No. I experience noticeably less regen from 10-40 mph in 75 F weather in So Cal. Something changed

No new tires? Any tire pressure warnings or regen dots? That’s unexpected but it’s sad if true.

We’ve had frigid temperatures since I got the update, and I changed to winter tires without TPMS. So my regen is clearly worse right now as expected. But I thought the couple times I drove before the tire swap that I felt much stronger regen.

Being in SoCal you probably don’t have any of the reasons above.

Another possibility is that stronger regen charges the battery at a higher rate and wears the battery down quicker, so they optimized for battery longevity over brake longevity.

Add me to the click camp
Although mine is more of a clack than a click, clump or thump
Only used to happen on autopilot when car stopped due to traffic
Doesn't happen with manual braking
One pedal driving same clacking sound when stopping
P3+ FSD August 2019