Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could be any number of reasons. Has the temperature dropped much where you are in the world? You're the second person I've read in this thread who says their efficiency appears to have dropped. It would take a major screw-up on Tesla's side for this to happen, and given that I've only read two complaints along these lines, my suspicions fall on... other factors contributing to this.

I live in LA. Temperature here is warm and sunny. After getting a high wh/mile I switched back to roll then my efficiency started to creep up. I dont know if its just me but driving with HOLD on feels like heavy and not smooth. Its like driving with the handbrake on in ICE cars lol. But when you change the setting to roll it feels smoother.

It seems silly to have the 6am finnish charging deadline. If you want to avoid peak rates schedule charging, if you want to schedule departure I should be able to set that to whenever I want... I work shift work and we don't have peak/off peak electric rates here in BC.
We had a Time of Use pilot and the utility cancelled it a few months ago. Tesla needs to add a check box so if you have TOU, the car will complete the charge before 6:00 AM.

How are the lows at night? The temperature during your commute doesn't matter as much as how cold the battery is when you leave. Even 50 degrees F is pretty cold by battery standards.
How are the lows at night? The temperature during your commute doesn't matter as much as how cold the battery is when you leave. Even 50 degrees F is pretty cold by battery standards.

Lows at night around 65-73f. I live in LA so temp doesnt go all the way down to 50 for most of the time.

The new construction visualizations helped me to avoid hitting this "traffic cone".

Attachments

• 20191115_203657.jpg
    20191115_203657.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 91
I think it's more likely that your range is being affected by the cold snap we're currently experiencing on the East coast of the US rather than the firmware update.
No, I doubt that. In charging, the software heats up the battery. It takes awhile before the rate of charge goes from 0 miles per hour to 22 miles per hour. Long before its fully charged the battery is at temp. If the car has 5% more power, it comes from somewhere.

No, I doubt that. In charging, the software heats up the battery. It takes awhile before the rate of charge goes from 0 miles per hour to 22 miles per hour. Long before its fully charged the battery is at temp. If the car has 5% more power, it comes from somewhere.
The battery is at a temp, I don't think the temp wall charging gets the battery is as high as the battery would like to be for full power charging (going on Bjorns' scan my Tesla results). I am not sure if can id 352 will show the available battery due to temp, though I am not sure what other id would. Maybe I'll leave my car out (of my grarage) all night and check to see in the morning.

Agreed. The Reddit posts seemed to be genuine concerns raised by genuine owners, and not paid FUDsters - that's why I reposted over on the Tesla forum (and got called all kinds of names by some of the most notorious disrupters over there). :)

P.S. The sun is out in our local neck of the woods. Just returned from a nice spirited run... Went back to CREEP mode, just for a change of pace. Love the throttle remapping and added boost!

Another instance of Hold mode acting up, followed by several other people chiming in to say theirs behaves similarly:

Shutting down, pull over immediately then Hold mode unavailable. : teslamotors

Bear in mind I’ve had no issues yet with it, still.

it's 5% more power, not energy. The battery stores energy, and the software change did nothing to address that (since its chemistry). The software change increased the amount of power the car can deliver to the motors from the battery (power is a measure of energy used per unit time).

Reactions: PACEMD
Another instance of Hold mode acting up, followed by several other people chiming in to say theirs behaves similarly:

Shutting down, pull over immediately then Hold mode unavailable. : teslamotors

Bear in mind I’ve had no issues yet with it, still.
No issues here either, and no reports from any TMC or Tesla forum members since yesterday either. Additionally, per Teslafi, Tesla continues to be loading 36.2.1 on customer cars. If the issues reported were serious bugs, or not operator error, one would think the 36.2.1 flood gates would have closed, at the very least - if not a rushed 36.3 bug fix release. Anyway, the rains and gloom have returned to out area, so spirited driving is out for today :(, just regular driving! :D

Anyone noticing any weird behavior with the audio volume? Prior to 36.2 I would max out the volume and quickly click it down three notches using the scroll wheel. When I do that now the visual on the display shows the audio volume at the same level as I usually put it but it seems to turn itself down about 2-3 more notches after the audio volume visual goes away. I have to turn it back up to get to my usual preferred volume.

it's 5% more power, not energy. The battery stores energy, and the software change did nothing to address that (since its chemistry). The software change increased the amount of power the car can deliver to the motors from the battery (power is a measure of energy used per unit time).
Believe it or not, I had a lot of physics. I know the difference between power and energy or, kinetic vs potential energy. I said power. I have no clue where you got energy from. What I said was in order to give us 5% more power out of the same plant, something had to give. I suspect it was mileage as specified on the miles left progress meter at full charge which went from 250 to 240 or ... 4%. For the longest time it said 246 then it started showing 250 +/-, now 240.

Believe it or not, I had a lot of physics. I know the difference between power and energy or, kinetic vs potential energy. I said power. I have no clue where you got energy from. What I said was in order to give us 5% more power out of the same plant, something had to give. I suspect it was mileage as specified on the miles left progress meter at full charge which went from 250 to 240 or ... 4%. For the longest time it said 246 then it started showing 250 +/-, now 240.

Your phrase "it has to come from somewhere" as I read it appeared to imply that it was power that was coming from the battery, i.e. was a consumed quantity. I was merely pointing out that the consumed quantity is energy, not power, as I'm sure you will agree. I posted not to be condescending but to clarify as there seem to be some people who aren't clear about the difference. Apologies if I gave offense.

Snarky comments are totally unnecessary, smart guy.

The OP shared a legitimate concern of his. A concern which is likely shared by others, and it’s not unreasonable to expect some drivers inexperienced with the differences between traditional transmissions and any car with hold mode could make costly mistakes.

OP, I agree wholeheartedly with your logic.
First day on the internet bud?

So, tried out the new FW today. One strange issue. When I returned home from a drive and parked in my garage, my windshield wipers turned on by themselves. It was bizarre. It wasn’t even raining today so absolutely no moisture on or near windshield. My wipers are set to auto and I had to turn them off. I waited a few minutes and placed them on auto and again it started to wipe the windshield. I haven’t done the scroll button reset. I’ll try that on my next drive. Anyone experiencing this?
I don’t think what looks like “phantom” wiper activation is unique to Tesla. I’ve had the same thing happen on my Ford. I always assumed there was actually something I could not see that activated the sensor, usually for one swipe of the windshield. I’ve also had at least a few electrical abnormalities occur on my BMW. Just fixed one a few weeks ago. Ever had a glitch on your pc or phone?

So I read all posts on this thread last night and before leaving the garage this a.m. I selected the HOLD mode. This is so counterintuitive to how I’ve been driving for the past 50+ years, whether manual or automatic transmission. My conclusion is that this “feature”, which obviously is the cause of so much controversy, with all the clicks, surges and other negative characteristics, is definitely not for me. I will reconsider if/when I read that improvements have been implemented and more positively accepted. For the foreseeable future I’m a CREEP, as an old guy should be!

Different strokes for different old people I guess. Or maybe I’m not old enough, only been driving 49 years! ;-)

I mean this in a friendly way, but speak for yourself, I’m 65, and have absolutely no problem using hold. I’ve never used creep in my X, never saw the point, it’s not an ICE with an automatic transmission.

I have no clicks, surges, or any negative characteristics whatsoever. I can pull into, and back up into parking spaces and the garage using only the accelerator, the car stops exactly where I want it to, using just the accelerator pedal.

The first day I had hold I went down 3 stories of a parking structure where 100 people were leaving at the same time, stop and go traffic all the way down, and never touched the brake. Love, love, love hold mode.

Absolutely drive the way you feel comfortable, but please don’t lump all us old farts into one basket! :)