Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.2 - FSD AutoSteer Stop Sign Warning and Adjacent Lane Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not have FSD and I got the warning once by not slowing for a stop sign. You really do have to be basically blowing through the stop sign for it to warn you.

With 2019.32.11 on NOA, I’ve received a warning for running a red stop light. Car detected the red light and alerted me to take over immediately, to hit the brakes and the speed limit logo changed to a red light but the car did not slow down.

Now with 2019.36.2.4 with NOA, the car slowed down when approaching a red light (and at a different intersection at a stop sign). No car in front of me but no warning.

M3 + FSD + HW2.5 + 2019.36.2.4

2019.40.2.1 is on an extremely slow rollout. Most likely a 2019.40.2.2 update. A youtuber (Dirty Tesla) made mention on one his recent videos that Autopilot still has a few corner cases (bugs) when it comes to lane changes.

The stop light and red lights i believe it just for visibility. training the neural net to detect. Take the same road multiple times and you may eventually see some something. I'd bet by Jan-Feb, we have the official Stop Sight/Red Light recognition.

Can confirm it detects both stop signs and red light on hw 2.5. Worked in all 4 instances I tried. Do need to be in auto steer;EAP. Now that you can set auto steer all the way down to 0 mph no need to risk lives any longer blowing through stop signs to test. it comes up even when you’re rolling, after scrolling down at 5 mph. It did not apply brakes for me however, instead giving the screaming red sign with message “take over immediately” plus the icon for eithe Stop sign or traffic light.
Now need HW3...

Copying from reddit.

I am unbelievably dissatisfied with the 40.2 update, and I wish I could revert back to my last 36.x version. I get excessive weaving within my lane, NoA still makes poor decisions, the car seems to react to curves more poorly than ever before making entrance and exit a sharp, jerky motion, and sawing at the wheel while in a long bend is more pronounced than ever.

Also, auto wipers now detect dry salt and trigger wiping. So they smear salt on my windshield forcing me to clean it more often than necessary.

Finally, the GPS location has gotten way worse than ever. I basically can not drive in the right-most lane at all anymore or the car will slam on the brakes at every exit. I'm also having serious problems with the car thinking that it's on roads near the highway or over the highway, which leads to it wanting to drive 30 mph instead of 65. These problems are only getting worse, which only makes it more dangerous in my opinion. Now that winter has set in any of these jerky motions or hard stops have the possibility of causing my car to slide or someone behind me to slide and cause an accident.

Speaking of winter, the car still does not recognize snow or slush as a lane bounding item. So if a giant pile of snow defines the left or right side of your lane, the car will totally ignore it and still look for a line. This is again extremely dangerous especially when slush is present. Cars spin out all the time because they suddenly hit an unexpected thick patch of snow or slush and lose traction. This is something Tesla said that they would begin training their cars for, but there has obviously been zero progress. While this isn't new in the current version, it is still a very serious problem.

I also have not had a single stop sign or traffic light that I've tested produce an alert. Not a single one. I even tried to reproduce DirtyTesla's situation where following cars at a controlled intersection produced the alert for him, and I got nothing. This, IMO, clearly means they're using map data to know where signs and lights are, and whatever data source they're using is painfully bad. It's obvious that they are not using the vision system to detect any traffic control devices, which is a pretty big problem IMO.

I took a video that shows the lane line detection behavior in areas that receive snow, which I'll try to upload later. But basically the lane line wobbles and blinks in and our of existence, which on surface streets is somewhat annoying but on highways produces serious swerving at full highway speeds.

• Funny
Reactions: Buckarooo
Sorry if I wasn’t clear but I thought Autopilot was Traffic-Aware Cruise Control and Autosteer. Both were engaged and active but no warning as I said.

You are correct, "Autopilot" is the umbrella term Tesla uses for the various driver assists, including TACC, Autosteer and the various collision avoidance assists. NOA, Autopark and Smart Summon are a bit more complex since Tesla group it under Autopilot in the documentation but split it out for sales purposes (the same, probably, will happen for FSD if/when it arrives).

You are correct, "Autopilot" is the umbrella term Tesla uses for the various driver assists, including TACC, Autosteer and the various collision avoidance assists. NOA, Autopark and Smart Summon are a bit more complex since Tesla group it under Autopilot in the documentation but split it out for sales purposes (the same, probably, will happen for FSD if/when it arrives).
Thanks for the info as it lines up how I think it was supposed to work with the options I have. A work in the aviation field which never turns down an opportunity to use an acronym. Now I just have to remember them all for my my car now!

For those having trouble detecting signs/ red lights find a stop you would go straight through, turn on EAP, as you approach drop speed to 0 mph. Then when safe scroll up to proceed. It should go off crossing the stop line. works every time for me.

But at this stage, after testing, it’s mostly annoying, because even if you bring the speed to 0mph, it still screams at you once you scroll up. Tesla needs to program if speed =0 then no need to scream as you re-accelerate through stop.

Yes I agree. Nevertheless, the update notes specifically say "auto steer". I can engage auto pilot but have to then separately engage auto steer. I find this requirement a bit odd, as I would rarely use auto steer in city/street driving.

Another distinction - Auto steer is included in both EAP and FSD. What I don't know: Does the stop light/stop sign warning work with only EAP or does it need the FSD upgrade?

For those having trouble detecting signs/ red lights find a stop you would go straight through, turn on EAP, as you approach drop speed to 0 mph. Then when safe scroll up to proceed. It should go off crossing the stop line. works every time for me.

But at this stage, after testing, it’s mostly annoying, because even if you bring the speed to 0mph, it still screams at you once you scroll up. Tesla needs to program if speed =0 then no need to scream as you re-accelerate through stop.

I just tried this exact sequence, and it did nothing.

Yes I agree. Nevertheless, the update notes specifically say "auto steer". I can engage auto pilot but have to then separately engage auto steer. I find this requirement a bit odd, as I would rarely use auto steer in city/street driving.

Another distinction - Auto steer is included in both EAP and FSD. What I don't know: Does the stop light/stop sign warning work with only EAP or does it need the FSD upgrade?

Works for me and I don't have FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: dandrewk
I have had the red light warning go off multiple times for me (e.g. someone directing traffic instead of using the light, it will scream at you when crossing under with AP on if the light is red), but I wasn't able to get stop sign notices to bark at me last night, but then again, it's only supposed to come on if you're running the stop sign and I was trying to make it think I was about to, but wasn't actually going to so I may not have pushed it close enough. I'll try with AP at 0 later.

That said, this is the first iteration, and the first few versions with red light warning I couldn't get to go off either.

This is entirely normal. New updates are pushed to a small percentage of cars and then a week or two later, based on what is found with that test group, a wide release to all cars happens where everyone gets it in a period of a few days (and youtube videos pop up asking gullible people to "press advanced 5 times!!!!" when it's just the patch is in wide release finally)