Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: 3 Delivery experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No communication, ever changing dates, info and numbers, could not find my $$wire for 6 days! Then Tesla required home delivery because Santa Fe not authorized. Delivery driver asked me to meet him on highway because he’s a disabled vet and can’t walk far. Really? Picked up my car at gas station AND IT WAS COVERED IN MUD!!! Wow! Like the car but not sure I’d ever go through this again. Shameful. View attachment 752648
Yep and sadly folks are buying them like crazy. There was a YT vid of some guy all excited about picking up his Tesla in a parking garage in LA. No Tesla person there to show him anything about the car, congratulate him, give him a good old fashioned handshake and he was as thrilled as pie.

As long as people are ok with it and accept the cars, it will continue. At least until there is legit competition that actually goes back to some low level of customer service. What about the people spending $130K+ for a Plaid and that is the service you get. Could imagine if Porsche, MBZ or BMW went to the Tesla model. Sales would fall flat as there are way too many other ICE options.

We need more competition.

OP I am horribly sorry this happened. I intend on not given them the final cashiers check payment until I am ready to take delivery. Not sure if you were able to but then you would have been able to tell that delivery driver to just take that car back. That is disgusting they delivered a car like that.

Could imagine if Porsche, MBZ or BMW went to the Tesla model. Sales would fall flat as there are way too many other ICE options.

Forever, traditional dealerships have been called stealerships. They're all the same, so no, sales don't fall, because there are no other options. Let's not pretend like the existing model is great. It's just the one we're used to. It's terrible. Haggling, going to talk to the "sales manager", lying, ripoff financing, extra fees. The existing model is garbage, and far worse than the direct sales model. And lest you think I'm only defending Tesla, I'm a big fan of Carmax too (though they aren't perfect either, they have solved a lot of the nonsense above).

Reactions: toquar and JP Bark
Forever, traditional dealerships have been called stealerships. They're all the same, so no, sales don't fall, because there are no other options. Let's not pretend like the existing model is great. It's just the one we're used to. It's terrible. Haggling, going to talk to the "sales manager", lying, ripoff financing, extra fees. The existing model is garbage, and far worse than the direct sales model. And lest you think I'm only defending Tesla, I'm a big fan of Carmax too (though they aren't perfect either, they have solved a lot of the nonsense above).
Never said anything about direct sales. I was talking about CUSTOMER SERVICE. You are not going to buy any other brand at $100k by driving into a parking garage and “accepting” your car via an app and not get a live person to shake your hand and show you how to use it. Never. People that buy the brands mentioned above expect a little customer service.

The direct sales model is better than the dealer model in many ways and worse in a few ways. But direct sales with good customer service would be even better than what Tesla does.

Adding my experience a month late because it has yet to be resolved. Relatively minor, but I live in NW Florida and picked up a 2022 LR in Decatur, GA in December. The vehicle had no physical vehicle issues (no panel gaps, USB chargers were there, etc). Despite clicking the box online to transfer my current license plate to the new car, they had filled out paperwork incorrectly and were mailing me a new plate. Gene in Decatur assured me that the Florida motor vehicle department would be able to refund the difference as now I'd have two license plates. Turns out that is definitely NOT the case, and I'm out $300. As you may know, there's no easy way to contact the service center and my few phone calls with central service have not been fruitful.

Just super frustrating to be out $300+ dollars and trusting that the people selling the vehicle (guess they're no experts) would tell you the truth. Additionally, Gene and the Decatur team were pretty unprofessional regarding paperwork rolling their eyes when I told them that I indeed HAD selected the title transfer option, and then said it would "take forever to print out all the paperwork over again"...lesson learned. Just have them print the paperwork over because your state's DMV will NOT help and you will be out hundreds of dollars.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlThompson
Adding my experience a month late because it has yet to be resolved. Relatively minor, but I live in NW Florida and picked up a 2022 LR in Decatur, GA in December. The vehicle had no physical vehicle issues (no panel gaps, USB chargers were there, etc). Despite clicking the box online to transfer my current license plate to the new car, they had filled out paperwork incorrectly and were mailing me a new plate. Gene in Decatur assured me that the Florida motor vehicle department would be able to refund the difference as now I'd have two license plates. Turns out that is definitely NOT the case, and I'm out $300. As you may know, there's no easy way to contact the service center and my few phone calls with central service have not been fruitful.

Just super frustrating to be out $300+ dollars and trusting that the people selling the vehicle (guess they're no experts) would tell you the truth. Additionally, Gene and the Decatur team were pretty unprofessional regarding paperwork rolling their eyes when I told them that I indeed HAD selected the title transfer option, and then said it would "take forever to print out all the paperwork over again"...lesson learned. Just have them print the paperwork over because your state's DMV will NOT help and you will be out hundreds of dollars.

Update: sent an email to a higher up (the person who signed my motor vehicle sales agreement), Tesla email formats are first initial last name @ Tesla dot com...their corporate resolutions team followed up with me today letting me know that I'd receive a check for $300. I'll follow up if they don't follow through but bottom line be a squeaky wheel and keep trying other avenues if the typical channels don't work.

I bought a Leaf recently as a second EV, the dealer did not know how and refused to do the registration to give us the EV plate.
Needed a few appointments months later at the MVD to get that taken care of.

Even the other guys get it wrong as well.

For other reasons the Leaf is being sold in a month for a M3.

Today was delivery day, and it was a complete nightmare! Please read on if you want to hear about my horror show Tesla delivery.

But first some stats:

Config: M3LR,MSM/White,18”Aero,No FSD
Order Date: 11/5
Original EDD: December 2021
EDD on 11/8: April 14-May 5
EDD on 11/14: December 8-December 31
EDD on 11/23: December 13-27
EDD on 11/27: January 14-February 11
EDD on 12/1: December 19-31
EDD on 12/5: January 14-February 11
EDD on 1/6: January 20-February 3
VIN assigned on 1/15
EDD on 1/15: January 25

First of all, I knew things were off to a bad start when Tesla started texting me. It was awful. First they texted me that agreements were ready to sign, then to remind me that my car was coming the next day, and then to tell me that my car was on the way. It was absolutely horrific getting all these constant update texts, as if Tesla had to update me on every single step of the process.

Next disaster was the dropoff. For a week, my app has been saying that my car would be delivered on the 25th between 12 and 4pm. Well, imagine my horror and disgust when I looked out my window at 9am to see a brand new Tesla sitting in my driveway. The nerve of Tesla! They promise one thing and then do another. Awful.

Now that my day was ruined with an early delivery, I decided I'd better go ahead and inspect the vehicle to note all the flaws. And this is where things really sent me over the edge. I had to get down on my hands and knees and inspect every inch of the paint looking for a paint chip. And I had to keep looking and looking. I simply couldn't find them, and suffice to say after everything I've been told to expect, I was getting pretty upset. I figured that maybe I was getting too angry to inspect the paint properly, and decided to go to panel gaps. This was probably the most hair-pulling and unnerving part of the whole delivery: I couldn't tell one panel gap from another! I mean, they all looked alike, none of them really looked any different than any others, and by now I was ready to just cancel the whole thing. I mean, how am I supposed to report all these defects in the first 100 miles when they are so hard to find? Eventually, I did notice that one of the tail lights was sticking out about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch too far. You might not think this is a big deal, but when you are running your fingers along every single gap in the car, this really stands out. I mean, if one if my friends ran his finger down this seam and knew I paid $50,000 for a car with this reckless disregard for QC, I would be embarrassed and humiliated. Luckily, I left a 2-minute expletive-laced voicemail for my Tesla rep, and then followed up with a six-paragraph letter to the service center. Hopefully the mobile service is out here THIS WEEK to set that tail light back 1/8th of an inch, or else I'm really going to lose it.

So, you can imagine how inspection of the white interior went once I used the app to unlock my car. The damn white interior is so perfect that you really have to get on your hands and knees and inspect it. And that is just SO TELSA to make a new car owner work that hard when the first day of ownership should be nothing but fun. I did find several fingerprints on the temporary peel-off screen protector, which I assume were the result of the sloppy employee who dropped off my car (at the wrong time, in case you missed it!). I peeled it off and sent photos to my rep to let them know.

Once I was done inspecting the car (it was about 10pm at this point), I finally got around to diving into the screen. Damn - despite having a 154XX VIN number I have the Intel chip and let me tell you - it was absolutely infuriating when I went to show my son the YouTube app. I mean, I pressed my finger right on the app, and it took like 4-5 seconds before YouTube came up. The whole time I was sitting there, I was just imagining what my son must have been thinking. He's so used to iPads that he must have felt like this was the Nokia flip phone of cars. By the time YouTube came up six seconds later, I had lost all desire to see a compilation of trampoline fails, and quickly exited the app. And when I say "quickly", yes I am being sarcastic, because the snap back to the main menu was far short of instantaneous. I didn't even bother opening up Netflix, because I was afraid that opening two apps in a row would brick the entire UI.

The whole experience has been such a nightmare that I'm not even going to charge the car tonight, despite that fact that it was delivered charged to only 88%! You would think that when you spend $50,000 on a car, they could deliver it at 100%, but I guess Tesla is trying to save money everywhere they can.
---
Seriously, though, everything was absolutely flawless and it really made me realize how unhealthy reading this thread has been. Like many of you, I've obsessively checked this thread (and my app) daily since my order went in several months ago. Since then, I've read non stop complaints, problems, and every other little nitpicky thing about Teslas in this and other forums. I think it's really easy to lose perspective and think that these random problems are actually the norm. My taillight really is about 1/8th an inch off. And when I noticed, I also realized that the only reason I was even checking was because of all the crazy talk in these forums about how bad Tesla panel gaps can be. I'm 51 years old and have bought dozens of cars and I have never once checked the depth setting of a taillight, or noticed that maybe it was few millimeters out of place. And here I am inspecting every seam like it's a F35 jet instead of a daily use car.

Not to take away from anyone's real QC problems, but I do think that a majority of you would do well to take a breath, stop worrying about this chip or that chip, or this EDD change or that one, and just stop worrying about it and trust that Tesla is making millions of cars a year, but it is those very few loudest complainers who make their minor problems seem like brand-wide problems that are ubiquitous. They aren't. My suggestion: try not checking your app for five days, and don't come back to this thread for five days. It's good to take your mind off the constant anxiety of delivery and chip changes, or whatever the Tesla issue-of-the-day is.

I couldn't be happier with my new Model 3. I drove all over Austin for no good reason today. It is just so much fun.

@AustinDriver: Funny, but maybe at the end there you didn't need to tell the rest of us what we should or should not worry about. I'm glad your experience was near flawless but I can tell you from my own experience with my first Tesla it's not always that way. My second Tesla is coming soon and I hope this time it's more like yours. And I too am in my 50s and have bought dozens of cars and no, I am not picky; my first Tesla really did have many real issues that I've never had on other quality cars.

Lame post.
@AustinDriver: Funny, but maybe at the end there you didn't need to tell the rest of us what we should or should not worry about. I'm glad your experience was near flawless but I can tell you from my own experience with my first Tesla it's not always that way. My second Tesla is coming soon and I hope this time it's more like yours. And I too am in my 50s and have bought dozens of cars and no, I am not picky; my first Tesla really did have many real issues that I've never had on other quality cars.
You actually thought it was funny? I groaned as soon as he got to the texting part and quit reading half way through. Nothing wrong with a person posting a positive experience as it's always good to hear when things go well but denouncing the experiences of others because yours was different is so lame.

Today was delivery day, and it was a complete nightmare! Please read on if you want to hear about my horror show Tesla delivery.

But first some stats:

Config: M3LR,MSM/White,18”Aero,No FSD
Order Date: 11/5
Original EDD: December 2021
EDD on 11/8: April 14-May 5
EDD on 11/14: December 8-December 31
EDD on 11/23: December 13-27
EDD on 11/27: January 14-February 11
EDD on 12/1: December 19-31
EDD on 12/5: January 14-February 11
EDD on 1/6: January 20-February 3
VIN assigned on 1/15
EDD on 1/15: January 25

First of all, I knew things were off to a bad start when Tesla started texting me. It was awful. First they texted me that agreements were ready to sign, then to remind me that my car was coming the next day, and then to tell me that my car was on the way. It was absolutely horrific getting all these constant update texts, as if Tesla had to update me on every single step of the process.

Next disaster was the dropoff. For a week, my app has been saying that my car would be delivered on the 25th between 12 and 4pm. Well, imagine my horror and disgust when I looked out my window at 9am to see a brand new Tesla sitting in my driveway. The nerve of Tesla! They promise one thing and then do another. Awful.

Now that my day was ruined with an early delivery, I decided I'd better go ahead and inspect the vehicle to note all the flaws. And this is where things really sent me over the edge. I had to get down on my hands and knees and inspect every inch of the paint looking for a paint chip. And I had to keep looking and looking. I simply couldn't find them, and suffice to say after everything I've been told to expect, I was getting pretty upset. I figured that maybe I was getting too angry to inspect the paint properly, and decided to go to panel gaps. This was probably the most hair-pulling and unnerving part of the whole delivery: I couldn't tell one panel gap from another! I mean, they all looked alike, none of them really looked any different than any others, and by now I was ready to just cancel the whole thing. I mean, how am I supposed to report all these defects in the first 100 miles when they are so hard to find? Eventually, I did notice that one of the tail lights was sticking out about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch too far. You might not think this is a big deal, but when you are running your fingers along every single gap in the car, this really stands out. I mean, if one if my friends ran his finger down this seam and knew I paid $50,000 for a car with this reckless disregard for QC, I would be embarrassed and humiliated. Luckily, I left a 2-minute expletive-laced voicemail for my Tesla rep, and then followed up with a six-paragraph letter to the service center. Hopefully the mobile service is out here THIS WEEK to set that tail light back 1/8th of an inch, or else I'm really going to lose it.

So, you can imagine how inspection of the white interior went once I used the app to unlock my car. The damn white interior is so perfect that you really have to get on your hands and knees and inspect it. And that is just SO TELSA to make a new car owner work that hard when the first day of ownership should be nothing but fun. I did find several fingerprints on the temporary peel-off screen protector, which I assume were the result of the sloppy employee who dropped off my car (at the wrong time, in case you missed it!). I peeled it off and sent photos to my rep to let them know.

Once I was done inspecting the car (it was about 10pm at this point), I finally got around to diving into the screen. Damn - despite having a 154XX VIN number I have the Intel chip and let me tell you - it was absolutely infuriating when I went to show my son the YouTube app. I mean, I pressed my finger right on the app, and it took like 4-5 seconds before YouTube came up. The whole time I was sitting there, I was just imagining what my son must have been thinking. He's so used to iPads that he must have felt like this was the Nokia flip phone of cars. By the time YouTube came up six seconds later, I had lost all desire to see a compilation of trampoline fails, and quickly exited the app. And when I say "quickly", yes I am being sarcastic, because the snap back to the main menu was far short of instantaneous. I didn't even bother opening up Netflix, because I was afraid that opening two apps in a row would brick the entire UI.

The whole experience has been such a nightmare that I'm not even going to charge the car tonight, despite that fact that it was delivered charged to only 88%! You would think that when you spend $50,000 on a car, they could deliver it at 100%, but I guess Tesla is trying to save money everywhere they can.
---
Seriously, though, everything was absolutely flawless and it really made me realize how unhealthy reading this thread has been. Like many of you, I've obsessively checked this thread (and my app) daily since my order went in several months ago. Since then, I've read non stop complaints, problems, and every other little nitpicky thing about Teslas in this and other forums. I think it's really easy to lose perspective and think that these random problems are actually the norm. My taillight really is about 1/8th an inch off. And when I noticed, I also realized that the only reason I was even checking was because of all the crazy talk in these forums about how bad Tesla panel gaps can be. I'm 51 years old and have bought dozens of cars and I have never once checked the depth setting of a taillight, or noticed that maybe it was few millimeters out of place. And here I am inspecting every seam like it's a F35 jet instead of a daily use car.

Not to take away from anyone's real QC problems, but I do think that a majority of you would do well to take a breath, stop worrying about this chip or that chip, or this EDD change or that one, and just stop worrying about it and trust that Tesla is making millions of cars a year, but it is those very few loudest complainers who make their minor problems seem like brand-wide problems that are ubiquitous. They aren't. My suggestion: try not checking your app for five days, and don't come back to this thread for five days. It's good to take your mind off the constant anxiety of delivery and chip changes, or whatever the Tesla issue-of-the-day is.

I couldn't be happier with my new Model 3. I drove all over Austin for no good reason today. It is just so much fun.
You should delete it after the _ _ _

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I pick up my Tesla M3 next Monday 2/14. In Grand Rapids, MI store. Can anyone share their experience with delivery day at this location? Specifically:

1. Its going to be kinda cold. Is the pick up indoor or outdoor? I'd like some time to go over the car without freezing. But I will dress appropriately.
2. Do you feel rushed while reviewing the car? I mentioned gaps to the sales person when I stopped by. They seemed pretty defensive about that topic. I get the feeling they wont want to discuss gaps too much. Regardless, I want to go thru a checklist of items thoroughly before I leave.

Thanks

WooHoo, I finally received long awaited letter from GM Financial stating i have a zero balance on my previous EV (Chevy Bolt). Uploaded the requested document to Tesla app and now i wait for final approval of loan application. Hope to loan approved before the Fed raises interest rates ;)

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I pick up my Tesla M3 next Monday 2/14. In Grand Rapids, MI store. Can anyone share their experience with delivery day at this location? Specifically:
1. Its going to be kinda cold. Is the pick up indoor or outdoor? I'd like some time to go over the car without freezing. But I will dress appropriately.
2. Do you feel rushed while reviewing the car? I mentioned gaps to the sales person when I stopped by. They seemed pretty defensive about that topic. I get the feeling they wont want to discuss gaps too much. Regardless, I want to go thru a checklist of items thoroughly before I leave.

Thanks
Just tell them you heard about their amazing QC and excellent service.......they should leave you alone 🤔