Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some before and after acceleration testing of a AWD+ vs a Stealth Performance has surfaced. Skip to 1:40 if you want to see the boosted difference.

The Performance still pulls away but it's much less pronounced. Here's to hoping for another boost package for LR AWD to go full P.

Also saw someone tweeted to Elon tonight asking for "mid range love too" while citing a link to a race video of a boosted AWD and Elon replied "Ok" so it looks like maybe there are more of these boosts coming for the RWD models. I bet that the "BASE_PLUS" found in the source code by @greentheonly might be this very boost.

In other news, I got my booty spanked earlier by what looked to be a 2019 BMW M5 out on the roads. I didn't realize those cars are running 600+ hp now stock...good lord. I will say that running at 45% SoC, the boost is much less noticeable. Felt only slightly stronger than a 100% SoC unboosted AWD, so there's that. It would be interesting to see a race between an unboosted AWD at 95% SoC and a boosted one at 45% SoC.
No matter how much you wish for it, they WILL NEVER MAKE A LONG RANGE THE SAME AS A P.

Why do so many people carry that silly fantasy?

NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!

I believe the timing of this enhanced performance upgrade is perfect.

Many Tesla owners will want to buy themselves a nice Christmas Present :)

It seems to be an inherent interest, in many automobile owners, to make performance enhancements in their cars.

While not for everyone, this upgrade will be desired by many.

For gassers, obtaining a 1/2 second power gain usually entails many comprimises. Poor mileage, lumpy idle, lower down low pull, louder noise, loss of warranty, lower resale, and the loss of the "keeping it stock" label.

With Tesla, other than the expenses, there seems to be no downside.

Anyone else with a Stealth now seeing an Upgrade option in the Tesla app? Shows nothing available (of course) but that i bought FSD after original purchase as “Purchased”. My X does not show this on the App.

Edit: ok I’m an idiot. I guess it’s because I recently updated the app for it to show. Just weird it doesn’t show for X.

Interesting video. It's less pronounced but it's still a spanking at any close-to-legal speeds, as you'd expect. In a few of those runs the LR AWD even got the jump, and the Performance 3 still strolls on by.

Agreed. This illustrates what another 50 or so hp and tq looks like and what it means in real world with side by side pulls. It also demonstrates how many actual car lengths that much power difference will make in real world all other things being equal. The real question is whether an AWD is full capable of P power or not. Are there really any bits of hardware preventing a full unlock or not?

Agreed. This illustrates what another 50 or so hp and tq looks like and what it means in real world with side by side pulls. It also demonstrates how many actual car lengths that much power difference will make in real world all other things being equal. The real question is whether an AWD is full capable of P power or not. Are there really any bits of hardware preventing a full unlock or not?

Yes and No. It seems to depend upon delivery date. Different spec Inverter in the rear motor unit between the Perfomance and standard LRAWD built on/about/after April/May 2019. 980s are P/N for the rear motor assembly with inverter, vs 990 P/N on the rear motor assembly for the standard LRAWDs built after April/May 2019 or so. LRAWDs built prior to April/May 2019 have the same 980 rear motor assembly as the Performance models. Therein lies the never ending debate in this forum..

• Disagree
Reactions: ngogas
Yes and No. It seems to depend upon delivery date. Different spec Inverter in the rear motor unit between the Perfomance and standard LRAWD built on/about/after April/May 2019. 980s are P/N for the rear motor assembly with inverter, vs 990 P/N on the rear motor assembly for the standard LRAWDs built after April/May 2019 or so. LRAWDs built prior to April/May 2019 have the same 980 rear motor assembly as the Performance models. Therein lies the never ending debate in this forum..
And thanks for starting it up again... :rolleyes::(

I would buy it for $500. But $2,000 seems like a lot for a 0.5 second improvement to an already very quick car. It isn't atypical for car companies to charge $2,000 or more for performance packages, but they usually bundle in a number of items, such as better brakes, upgraded tires, whatever. But $2,000 for only the 0.5 second improvement seems steep.

I would buy it for $500. But $2,000 seems like a lot for a 0.5 second improvement to an already very quick car. It isn't atypical for car companies to charge $2,000 or more for performance packages, but they usually bundle in a number of items, such as better brakes, upgraded tires, whatever. But $2,000 for only the 0.5 second improvement seems steep.

As has been discussed, at the speeds these cars accelerate now, shaving another half a second off is massive. This is not a steep price at all. If I owned a LR AWD it would be a LR AWD+ in a hot (half) second.

Also think it is perfectly executed, as the upgraded Stealth is still slower than the more expensive P3. Still gives the P buyer the performance edge they paid for.

Im pretty sure performance guys will get 3.0 speeds for free, and the option of ludicrous mid 2sec for a upcharge, and we LR AWD+ will be upgraded to performance speeds 3.2-3.3secs......This motors, battery are capable of 900hp if tesla really decides to unleash them.

Another side effect - after the upgrade the car sounds different.

I notice the difference sub 40 MPH, there is also a slight difference in the vibration of the steering wheel.

There is definitely more sound coming from the front of the car now.

Now I have put a lot of noise insulation in my car (see the big thread on it), but the most noise insulation was put in the rear of the car. Now that they are working the front motor more, perhaps it is simply that my car has less noise insulation in the front, that makes the front motor sound louder now.

Perhaps it is induction vs permanent magnet, but the front motor feels/sounds harsher than the rear one.

Note that this is on smooth asphalt at low speeds extreme quite conditions.

• Disagree
Reactions: wcfree
Another side effect - after the upgrade the car sounds different.

I notice the difference sub 40 MPH, there is also a slight difference in the vibration of the steering wheel.

There is definitely more sound coming from the front of the car now.

Now I have put a lot of noise insulation in my car (see the big thread on it), but the most noise insulation was put in the rear of the car. Now that they are working the front motor more, perhaps it is simply that my car has less noise insulation in the front, that makes the front motor sound louder now.

Perhaps it is induction vs permanent magnet, but the front motor feels/sounds harsher than the rear one.

Note that this is on smooth asphalt at low speeds extreme quite conditions.
Haven't noticed this, only the blood rushing from my face to the backside of my head! :p