Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It also doesn't recognize the proclivity of LA drivers to treat lights that are turning red as a suggestion.
WOW! Traffic in southern Cal IS MUCH DIFFERENT than Indy. Here, all stop signs are a suggestion and stop lights are merely a suggestion as well, but if you're turning right on that stop light, it's felt by 80% of the drivers that it's not only all right, but the norm to roll through at 10mph or more.

Tennessee not Southern Cal. Some drivers use the turn signal to tell the driver behind them that the person in front of them is turning. So if you are ever in middle Tennessee at an intersection and see a line of cars with their right turn signals on there's a good chance only the first car will be turning, don't pull out because the second car will probably go straight. I have only seen this behavior in this area.
Sorry If confused Tennessee with Southern Cal. My bad. And as for your driving behavior that you've only seen in your area? Happens here too.

By the time FSD is truly ready, $100,000 will be the same as $10,000 in 2020 dollars just due to inflation!
Yeah... probably the best move is buy $10k worth of Tesla stock, then use a fraction of the profit to buy FSD for your car when it's better.

If I had done that when I bought my car 2018, I'd basically basically be able to treat Teslas as disposable cars at this point

Speaking of SoCal, my wife's commute is 11 mi and takes anywhere from 30-50 min. FSD would be such a great feature for that, but it's a long long way from being able to drive in traffic like that. Needing to change lanes and make turns in stop and go, bumper-to-bumper traffic on both surface streets and the freeway. Lots of subtleties like not getting "stuck" in the middle of the intersection because you have to make sure there's enough room on the other side before you pull out.

I imagine it would be equally difficult for FSD to drive around Manhattan in its current form.

Having said that, I am very happy to be able to test it to help make it better.

3rd drive. 10 miles. Set to chill mode. A couple unsafe moments and some really weird lane change logic.

Unsafe
Could not turn left onto a main 4 lane road from my residential street. I was careful. There was no traffic in either direction and I had my hands on the wheel the whole time. It creeped forward, started to turn left and then jerked the wheel right, the car pretty much stopped in the middle of the road perpendicular to the lane. I took over immediately.

Phantom braked on a straight multilane road when seeing a patch of dark asphalt.

Weird Lane changes
Made an unnecessary lane change. It wanted to pass a car so it moved to the left lane. But it needed to get back into the right lane to make a right turn at an upcoming intersection. Right lane had traffic. So car stopped at intersection in left lane, unable to turn right. So I took over.

A truck in front of me stopped to turn right. Instead of waiting for the truck to complete the turn and get out of the way, it moved over to the left lane to get around the truck.

It moved over to the left lane again when it saw a patch of dark asphalt. No cars in front.

I am new to FSD Beta so I am focused on paying attention to the road. But I need to start hitting the record button to send clips to Tesla for these issues I am having.

I was behind a truck pulling a boat at a stoplight. FSD stopped correctly behind the towed boat. I disengaged FSD and pulled a little forward to tell the driver in the adjacent lane their trunk was opened. When I re-enabled FSD the car started to drive forward, I had to disengage with the break. The on screen visual now showed no vehicles in front of me (could not see around the boat and did not recognize the boat as a motor vehicle).

• Informative
Reactions: Oil Freedom
I had issues with crazy acceleration (and super slow acceleration) with 10.2. With 10.3, it's a lot better. Check your set speed when it accelerates hard. It happens to me on 10.3 when it's set high, usually without me knowing due to last speed limit sign read.
Good to know it’s gotten better from previous releases.

When it aggressively accelerates, I have noticed it’s because the speed limit changed (and I have it set to +10% for speed limit). I feel when in urban city streets, it shouldn’t auto increase the speed limit or allow me to set a preference to not apply my +10% speed limit.

A truck in front of me stopped to turn right. Instead of waiting for the truck to complete the turn and get out of the way, it moved over to the left lane to get around the truck.
I think it’s clear that most of the non-teenage drivers place a heavy discomfort factor to lane changes. They need to weigh lane change cost much higher and probably lower the cost of waiting.

They should also have a way to heavily increase the lane change cost when there is a turn coming up and also in high traffic situations.

All these can be done with cost optimization but they need a lot more parameters and a lot of fine tuning.

PS : I think we trace the aggressive lane changes to the changes they made to NOA based on feedback. I remember a lot of people clamoring for the car to pass and overtake slow moving cars on freeways.

And be aware that FSD Beta will probably annoy other drivers in many situations which makes it less useful IMO.
Yes, I often encourage FSD Beta via the go pedal when it's making turns so as not to be in the way, annoy other drivers (or me!), or allow it to become a hazzard by suddenly slowing.

Today when exiting a shopping center, the right turn lane I needed was blocked by cones and a construction vehicle. FSD Beta successfully went around it using the "wrong" exit lane and then made the turn through the intersection from that lane, but it did rquire repeated encouragement throughout.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I think tesla IS going to have to come up with a reimbursement program for WHEELS and TIRES. I see a future with a whole bunch of robotaxis on the side of the road with flat tires from sidewall rubbing on sidewalks and curbs, and the cars can’t replace or repair the tire itself. I could imagine some people being interested in putting their Tesla Into some future RoboTaxi fleet, generate some $$ but eat of at least 600-1000$ per year on tire and wheel replacement. At least as it is now.
FSD will have to be lots better than it is now before any serious consideration for robo taxi service. At that point, curbing tires or other AI responsible damage will be rare. However, at level 5, Tesla would need to cover damage that's FSD caused, maybe through their own insurance coverage.

Last edited:
...But I need to start hitting the record button to send clips to Tesla for these issues I am having.
I do wish the record button was bigger or we could use a scroll wheel push or something. Usually after FSD makes some boneheaded move, I'm in recovery mode (apologizing to surrounding drivers and getting on my way). It's tough to hit that microscopic icon while driving.

FSD Beta has almost no concept of situations it can't handle, it just goes for everything and depends on the driver to intervene when it's doing something bad.
While I agree that FSD Beta certainly does require plenty of interventions, it hardly "just goes for everything". I frequently and repeatedly have to nudge it because it's unsure / lacks confidence that it's doing the right thing and will not go for it anyway and on its own.

I do wish the record button was bigger or we could use a scroll wheel push or something. Usually after FSD makes some boneheaded move, I'm in recovery mode (apologizing to surrounding drivers and getting on my way). It's tough to hit that microscopic icon while driving.
I wish that as well and that they let you add a voice note rather than trying to remember hours later the time etc and link them together. Jeeesh this is supposed to be a tech company.

So if you are ever in middle Tennessee at an intersection and see a line of cars with their right turn signals on there's a good chance only the first car will be turning, don't pull out because the second car will probably go straight. I have only seen this behavior in this area.
OK, that's... ummmm... kinda interesting, and maybe... a little strange. And not necessary. Stop "helping"!? 🙃

OK, that's... ummmm... kinda interesting, and maybe... a little strange. And not necessary. Stop "helping"!? 🙃
The Tennessee drivers manual is very clear that the turn signal is used only to signal what the driver of his vehicle is planning on doing. I don't understand the logic either. A person would have to be a mind reader to determine what was meant by the driver in front using a signal for two completely different reasons, but that is the logic that was described to me by someone who does use the turn signal for this reason. The only saving grace is that most people here don't use a turn signal for any reason./s