Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@diplomat33 If true, why don’t they give us this “view”? Would be very helpful, actually.
It likely wouldnt look good. The computer doesn’t need it to be all smooth and pretty. It just needs proper coding to help it interpret the information and place it in a 3-d environment that it can make decisions based off of. Trying to stitch the cameras would probably not look good aesthetically.

Reactions: jebinc
Checkout how Ford does it in their trucks. It shows a top down view of the truck, with a nicely done stitching job of the camera's output. I'm sure there's an example of it on Ford's web site.

Like this ? Nissan Leaf also had some kind of visualization like that. Its useful while parking - not while driving really.

Anyway, essentially thats what the visualization is trying to give you ...

2020-ford-f-150-360-degree-camera.jpg

That's great advice, but would like to add one word of caution...

When FSD is being timid with creep, there's a fine line between telling it "hey, creep a bit faster" and "Boss says it's ok to go, so let's go!" So if you're just telling it to creep a bit faster, BE CAREFUL that you don't inadvertently tell it to just go. :)
Yea, I think that's where more of the tap comes in to creep a little faster, what I was talking about is making it go, and not just telling it to go but I mean holding the accelerator pressed through the entire turn so basically forcing it to go forward at the (appropriate and reasonable) pace that I am inputting. I have been testing this more today and it has been great so far. Again I am not slamming down the accelerator and seeing what it can do, I am just pressing the accelerator the same as I would if I was driving during the turn then let off after the turn. This has really shown me there is more of a confidence issue than it being able to figure it out. It's not even about it creeping slow usually, and in fact it often creeps too fast. It will sit there for too long then creep forward but does so at a pace that makes the cross traffic think you are going to pull out. I often hit the brake to stop it from creeping because cars have honked or moved away because they think I'm going to pull out into them. This is also handy when there is a gap but you gotta go now and you have to accelerate, when I have let the car do it, it either goes but doesn't get up to speed or creeps then waits and misses the gap. In this case when I get to the intersection and see the gap and the car doesn't immediately start moving I just press the accelerator as I would if I was driving and just let the car handle the steering this gets me on my way, doesn't inconvenience the other drivers and doesn't make me wonder what's about to happen.

Reactions: Phlier
Stitching up multiple images that have objects at different distances is quite tricky, and that's probably why Tesla visualizes a 3D recreation instead of transformed raw camera pixels. I'm pretty sure FSD Beta visualization would show this as a straight curb instead of a bent curb+grass (right edge):
View attachment 728189

You mean in the image I posted, the road is actually straight - and not bending ? :D

Stitching up multiple images that have objects at different distances is quite tricky, and that's probably why Tesla visualizes a 3D recreation instead of transformed raw camera pixels. I'm pretty sure FSD Beta visualization would show this as a straight curb instead of a bent curb+grass (right edge):
But something that a NN system with a small portion of resources should be able to do easily and quickly.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
But something that a NN system with a small portion of resources should be able to do easily and quickly.
I've some experience recording, stitching of VR videos. Its anything but easy & quick. Even for a very powerful desktop with top end graphics card. The result isn't still steller.

The below is taken with the Vuze VR camera (8 sensors - 2 in each direction).

ps : Infact its bad enough that I decided to get a separate wide angle camera instead.

1635803902789.png

I can say for certain I know the California Vehicle Code.
CVC 22100(b) Left Turns. The approach for a left turn shall be made as close as practicable to the left-hand edge of the extreme left-hand lane or portion of the roadway lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of the vehicle and, when turning at an intersection, the left turn shall not be made before entering the intersection. After entering the intersection, the left turn shall be made so as to leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered, except that upon a highway having three marked lanes for traffic moving in one direction that terminates at an intersecting highway accommodating traffic in both directions, the driver of a vehicle in the middle lane may turn left into any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.

So California permits a left turn into any lane of traffic when safe. Lane splitting by motorcycles is also, unlike most states, permitted. The CHP has come out with a statement, "Lane splitting can be dangerous and extreme caution should be exercised. It should not be performed by inexperienced riders. The risk of death or serious injury during a lane splitting collision increases as speed and speed differential increases. These general safety tips are provided to assist you in the practice; however, they are not guaranteed to keep you safe. Every rider has the ultimate responsibility for their own decision-making and safety."

I understand why these seem dangerous to those in states where a left turn is from the leftmost lane into the leftmost lane. Lane splitting by motorcycles (more cynically, donorcycles) at highway speed is routinely done, even "splitting" the separator between HOV and main lanes (between double yellow lines). Listen to LA traffic reports... there's at least one motorcycle down each morning and evening rush hour.

Last edited:
Really impressed with how the Beta handles different kinds of speed bumps. The wider “humps” that aren’t as jarring it slows down to around 18-19 mph, and for the narrower but more abrupt ones it slows down to below 10 mph. Impressive. Of note is that these are all well painted, so I don’t know if it is vision or map data. I assume it’s at least partially vision because the more abrupt narrower bumps were in a parking lot that isn’t mapped on the Tesla Nav screen.

But flip side: today I finally decided to let the Beta do its thing when it mysteriously tries to change out of the proper lane when there is an upcoming turn. About a half mile from a right turn while cruising in the right lane, the Beta signaled to change lanes to the left. Normally I just flip the turn signal to turn it off and cancel the maneuver, but I wasn’t in any hurry so I decided to let it rip today. Hilariously, it decided to change all the way to the left most lane (three lane street) and then wanted to try to change all the way back to the right. That’s when I cancelled it because there were other cars on the street with me and I didn’t want to look like a confused ass so I took over and made a U turn instead. Just a baffling decision the Beta makes on a semi consistent basis for no apparent reason.

But flip side: today I finally decided to let the Beta do its thing when it mysteriously tries to change out of the proper lane when there is an upcoming turn. About a half mile from a right turn while cruising in the right lane, the Beta signaled to change lanes to the left. Normally I just flip the turn signal to turn it off and cancel the maneuver, but I wasn’t in any hurry so I decided to let it rip today. Hilariously, it decided to change all the way to the left most lane (three lane street) and then wanted to try to change all the way back to the right. That’s when I cancelled it because there were other cars on the street with me and I didn’t want to look like a confused ass so I took over and made a U turn instead. Just a baffling decision the Beta makes on a semi consistent basis for no apparent reason.
Yeah, wrong lane changes seem to be a fairly common issue. Given all the turn indicator corrections and steering wheel disengagements we're sending, I expect this to improve before too long.

Last edited:
Really impressed with how the Beta handles different kinds of speed bumps. The wider “humps” that aren’t as jarring it slows down to around 18-19 mph, and for the narrower but more abrupt ones it slows down to below 10 mph. Impressive. Of note is that these are all well painted, so I don’t know if it is vision or map data. I assume it’s at least partially vision because the more abrupt narrower bumps were in a parking lot that isn’t mapped on the Tesla Nav screen.

I have to say I have the opposite experience. FSD doesn’t stop or slow for ANY speed bumps in my area. It will barrel along at 30 in a 15 and go right up to a speed bump and slam into it full speed (unless disengaged… which i do, which would be a HARD BRAKING under any SS measurement). I really don’t get it, these are bumps, sure 3D is HARD, but they have diagonal zebra lines in the middle of the road.

I have to say I have the opposite experience. FSD doesn’t stop or slow for ANY speed bumps in my area. It will barrel along at 30 in a 15 and go right up to a speed bump and slam into it full speed (unless disengaged… which i do, which would be a HARD BRAKING under any SS measurement). I really don’t get it, these are bumps, sure 3D is HARD, but they have diagonal zebra lines in the middle of the road.
Are they well painted? The speed humps have clear white bars painted on them and the speed bumps are clearly painted yellow for me.

In my neighborhood, yes they are very well painted yellow. These are the narrow speed bumps that require slowing down to 5 mph or so. I am certain it must be a mapping Issue that some are slowed down for and others (like mine) dont slow at all.