Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was set to chill.

I am not aware of that driving rule. I always turn into the right lane at that intersection. It is a T intersection with a traffic light. Traffic is stopped. I don't see why you would need to turn into the left lane first.
One reason that might be enough to codify it is that humans function better with habits. Much like people who don't normally signal but say "I always signal if there are other cars" likely fail to do so far more often than they realize, a person who "would use the left lane if there was an oncoming car turning right" may not see such an oncoming car, in which case an accident or evasive maneuver could have been avoided with basic defensive driving practices. Even when approaching a T intersection like this and recognizing that it is different, having an additional habit could just be one more chance to activate the wrong habit when distracted elsewhere.
California permits a left turn into any lane WHEN SAFE TO DO SO. A protected left turn on an arrow would typically have a no right on red sign on the opposite side of the intersection. But the left turn has the right of way in this particular situation, so the car making the right would likely be at fault because he/she is turning on a red light.
I can't say for certain whether or not you are wrong about California, but usually when I see a "no turn on red" sign it is because of the visibility of the intersection (sometimes it might be about the amount of traffic typically present, and then there is ofter a time limit tied to the sign). Outside of those scenarios, in Indiana, we definitely have plenty of intersections with left green arrows for one direction of traffic that don't have "no turn on red" signs for the other.
I was behind a truck pulling a boat at a stoplight. FSD stopped correctly behind the towed boat. I disengaged FSD and pulled a little forward to tell the driver in the adjacent lane their trunk was opened. When I re-enabled FSD the car started to drive forward, I had to disengage with the break. The on screen visual now showed no vehicles in front of me (could not see around the boat and did not recognize the boat as a motor vehicle).
While a boat may be a vehicle, and this boat may have had a motor, I'm more concerned that FSD didn't recognize and remain stopped for the obstruction than I would be that the visualization didn't show it. While getting rid of radar sounds sensible to me, this seem to indicate that vision without radar may not be as far along as I would have anticipated.
Currently my biggest "small item that bugs me" is if there's no lane painting on the right side of the lane, it'll drive way too close to the right side edge. Many places here have some bushes and stuff and I'm afraid it'll scratch the car one of these days.
Strange, I have the opposite problem on a road I drive on daily. It's a pretty narrow road, and my X frequently drives on or acts like it's going to turn over the double-yellow instead of driving closer to the edge as it should.
I will try different coming from a different direction. But I will point out that once you complete the turn, the front cameras will have a clear view of the speed limit sign. So the car should immediately slow after the turn as soon as the front cameras see the speed limit sign but it continues to drive past the speed limit sign at the same speed. I specifically noticed that the speed limit on the screen does not update after the car passes the speed limit sign.
The visualization should show speed limit signs, and if it shows them, it should show the speed detected on them. Take a look at it and see if it shows them, then you'll know if it's misreading them, missing them, or overriding them after the fact.

Reactions: diplomat33
I specifically noticed that the speed limit on the screen does not update after the car passes the speed limit sign.
I'm pretty sure FSD Beta (and non-FSD Autopilot) explicitly ignores 15 mph signs right now. There's a bunch around here including conditional / school zone ones, and Autopilot will only drop down to 15mph if it's mapped. I would guess the neural networks does realize it's 15mph as it doesn't accidentally predict some other 25mph/35mph/etc. speed limit, but maybe Tesla doesn't want to accidentally drop the speed down that much especially on roads that are normally 40mph+.

I'm pretty sure FSD Beta (and non-FSD Autopilot) explicitly ignores 15 mph signs right now. There's a bunch around here including conditional / school zone ones, and Autopilot will only drop down to 15mph if it's mapped. I would guess the neural networks does realize it's 15mph as it doesn't accidentally predict some other 25mph/35mph/etc. speed limit, but maybe Tesla doesn't want to accidentally drop the speed down that much especially on roads that are normally 40mph+.

Thanks. That is helpful to know. It means that this is a situation that requires intervention right now as it is not implemented yet.

You say "including conditional / school zone ones" so does that mean there are straight 15mph speed limits on public roads that you see the FSD Beta ignore? I think the context implies a yes, but prefer to be explicit. I have seen conditional 25mph signs ignored for sure, but I thought maybe it was only ignoring conditional signs and not lower speeds.

I have had the car give an immediate takeover notice twice on a major SoCal boulevard - the most recent in my commute to work this morning. And today I was unable to re-engage FSD even after pulling over and powering off the car.

There was no traffic and my hands were on the yoke and eyes forward both times.

Anyone else see this? I didn’t get a message that I hadn’t put enough pressure on the yoke. Is the in-car camera not seeing my face? I hope a diverse group of folks in TMC have had this warning come up - I’m a little leery about AI algorithms for faces like mine (#codedbias, #weapons-of-math-destruction) and really hoping you can help me understand why the FSD stopped mid-drive

Thanks. That is helpful to know. It means that this is a situation that requires intervention right now as it is not implemented yet.
There are several situations requiring interventions that are not implemented yet. Just a few:
  • School zones since FSD doesn't recognize the reduction in speed when school zone lights are flashing. I would think this would be a high priority since the media and regulators would love to harp on this.
  • Blinking Yellow Lights
  • Rail Road Crossing with gate recognition and reducing speed while going over the tracks. Not sure if Elon's tweet regarding gates includes RR crossings.
  • Speed Limit signs with other related signs attached to the same pole. I've sent several photos to Tesla.
I'm sure others can list more known features not yet programmed.

There are several situations requiring interventions that are not implemented yet. Just a few:
  • School zones since FSD doesn't recognize the reduction in speed when school zone lights are flashing. I would think this would be a high priority since the media and regulators would love to harp on this.
  • Blinking Yellow Lights
  • Rail Road Crossing with gate recognition and reducing speed while going over the tracks. Not sure if Elon's tweet regarding gates includes RR crossings.
  • Speed Limit signs with other related signs attached to the same pole. I've sent several photos to Tesla.

Thanks

After reading the comments being made about some of the unexplained behaviors by the tesla's with the FSD I began to wonder how a human would behave if we saw things as the car does. What if we had one eye in the middle of our forehead and an eye where each ear is, one eye on each cheek looking rearward and one eye on the back of the head looking to the rear and none of the eyes could rotate up or down, left or right. I get a sore neck just thinking about it.

• Blinking Yellow Lights
Good list. Emergency vehicles as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Hbrink
Pretty sure it’s deliberate. They don’t want the car to hard brake to get below a speed limit. Iirc, It was a complaint by drivers for AP that the car would slow way too quickly when they reduced speed or passed a speed limit sign that was lower (or the car THOUGHT it passed a speed limit sign that was lower).
Seems like the team sometimes overreacts to suggestions almost like someone who is mad you told them you didn't like how they did something (not saying in anyway this is really the case more of a joke) "oh it slows to fast ok, now it will take 2 miles to slow 10mph how do you like it now" lol. But it does seem like when they get feedback they make a big adjustment instead of just tweaking it some. I think what would help a lot and what they may need to do eventually is just have an entire page of settings for FSD and just make a lot more stuff customizable (no idea in the programming realm how much this complicates things or not) but dedicated setting for follow distance, rolling stop signs, lane changes instead of FSD profiles, as well as acceleration, speed reduction rates and other stuff. People just don't drive the same and I would think (again not a programmer) it would take some work off the team if they just put settings in place instead of trying to adjust stuff back and forth then people could tweak each thing to kinda tune the car to what makes them more comfortable.

Ok so something I figured out last night and have tested a little that has made my experience with beta sooo much better. I force it through turns now, not every turn but if there are other cars around and it hesitates at all I push the accelerator, not tap it, I push it as if I was driving and the car has done great every single turn. It's almost like it has a confidence problem like someone jumping out of a plane or something and if you just shove it the cars is like oh *sugar* here we go I better just make this work, and it has every single time. It hardly ever even jerks the steering wheel at all. They are the smoothest, frustration free turns I have had. I used to disengage all the time, now I just force the car through the turn and its like magic. I am still very cautious if there are vehicles in the oncoming lane on the road I'm turning onto because I worry about it overshooting the turn or something since I am controlling the accelerator but so far its been magic. If I don't force it through turns it will sit there and jerk the wheel left and right over and over before it decides to go like someone at a thermostat going back and forth between 67.7 or 67.8 in the end it doesn't matter just set it and walk away. Just something I have learned and thought I would share for the other people who have said they disengage a lot at intersections (obviously since you are overriding the system and making it go make sure there isn't a reason its not going)

Edit: I should specify I don't live in a big city environment, more rural so this has been helpful at stop signs and rural roads turns. Large intersections with traffic lights don't seem to really be a problem.

Last edited:
There is a speed limit sign after the turn that clearly says 15 but FSD Beta reads it as 25 mph. Weird because it is a normal, plainly visible sign. If I manually change the TACC speed to 10 mph, it handles the rose-hulman st pretty well, even the tight bends. But it does not know to do that since it thinks the speed limit is 25 mph.
What does OSM say ?

ps : Looks like 15 mph.

does that mean there are straight 15mph speed limits on public roads that you see the FSD Beta ignore?
Sorry for misleading people, but yes I meant plain 15mph speed limits were ignored. However, after some testing today with 10.3.1, it seems to visualized:
15 mph.jpg

Maybe it's because I've only retested with OSM mapped 15mph signs (highway=secondary,tertiary,service). I'll try again later with those not in OSM.

It means that this is a situation that requires intervention right now as it is not implemented yet.
Actually, after my retesting, it seems like FSD Beta should be able to detect it. Maybe this was something fixed since 10.2 as I was pretty sure that was one of the first things I tried when getting into beta. I did notice it was slower to visualize the 15mph, so I needed to drive slower and closer to the sign for it to show up relative to 25mph signs.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
Actually, after my retesting, it seems like FSD Beta should be able to detect it. Maybe this was something fixed since 10.2 as I was pretty sure that was one of the first things I tried when getting into beta. I did notice it was slower to visualize the 15mph, so I needed to drive slower and closer to the sign for it to show up relative to 25mph signs.

Well, my car thinks it is 25 mph. So something is wrong.

Reactions: Phlier
Well, my car thinks it is 25 mph. So something is wrong.
If you want to try testing at some other 15mph signs, here's some nearby:
terre haute 15mph.png

overpass turbo

You can filter for node/way attributes such as those listed here Key:highway - OpenStreetMap Wiki If you need help building a query, I can help out. I've been poking around more with OSM since I discovered Smart Summon using that data.