Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's an interesting data point. Do people think that number includes employee FSD Beta testers? I believe back in March, there were ~800 employee and early non-employee FSD Beta testers with a doubling through early FSD Beta 10.0/10.1. So my previous estimate of roughly 10k new FSD Beta from FSD Button seems to match up.

If my estimation approach is indeed reasonable, then the rollout last night probably enrolled over 600 new FSD Beta participants with 99+ scores.
It was a recall, so it was all cars that had 10.3 on them.

Reactions: Yuri_G
I have a radar car, but the beta email implies that all beta cars are, ahem, upgraded to vision-only: "Your vehicle is running on Tesla Vision!"

Meanwhile, the text about "rolling stops" on the screen description scares the heck out of me since they are illegal in CA. What does that really mean?
If you use chill mode in the FSD Beta settings, it will come to a complete stop at stop signs. Otherwise, it will do illegal rolling stops.

I have a radar car, but the beta email implies that all beta cars are, ahem, upgraded to vision-only: "Your vehicle is running on Tesla Vision!"

Meanwhile, the text about "rolling stops" on the screen description scares the heck out of me since they are illegal in CA. What does that really mean?
It means what it says. Radar is no longer used in favor of vision-only (plus ultrasonic sensors and GPS). The car may not come to a complete stop at stop signs. Even with FSB Beta set to "Aggressive", I've not found the rolling stops to be too bad. 4-way stops with other car(s) taking turns first do get the full stop treatment.

Enjoy and remain vigilant.

Reactions: Phlier and impastu
One FSD enhancement I'd like to see is managing acceleration better on short residential streets.
When I make a left hand turn out of my street its 384 feet to the next intersection. FSD wants to accelerate rapidly to 30mph then slow down abruptly where it then begins creeping. This is nuts ..........

My personal opinion however, is that the AP needs to stop trying to accelerate so fast when its doing a turn from a stoplight. It literally accelerates so fast that it has to force slow itself down because its turning too sharp vs speed.
This has come up many times so hoping it will improve soon.

Reactions: impastu
My personal opinion however, is that the AP needs to stop trying to accelerate so fast when its doing a turn from a stoplight. It literally accelerates so fast that it has to force slow itself down because its turning too sharp vs speed.
I think it is err’ing no the side of caution as it can’t really tell too precisely what the closing speed on an oncoming car MAY be (or even IF there is a car outside the range of the side camera or wide angle camera in the front) coming from the left of the right, so it tries to get up to speed as quickly as possible. I’ve had several experiences where pulling out of my street onto a two way (which it can HARDLY even do) it accelerates to perceived speed (since it hasn’t seen a speed limit sign yet) quickly - even though sadly on that street most cars are going 10-15 OVER the speed limit, so the Tesla gets up to speed and then of course slows everyone down.

Didn't post but yesterday my Beta was having constant seizures and suffering severe dementia. 😱 I never went more than a ½ mile with out disengaging. Thank goodness it is "feeling" better today.

You have no idea.🤣🤣🤣

IMG_9408.jpeg

I think it is err’ing no the side of caution as it can’t really tell too precisely what the closing speed on an oncoming car MAY be (or even IF there is a car outside the range of the side camera or wide angle camera in the front) coming from the left of the right, so it tries to get up to speed as quickly as possible. I’ve had several experiences where pulling out of my street onto a two way (which it can HARDLY even do) it accelerates to perceived speed (since it hasn’t seen a speed limit sign yet) quickly - even though sadly on that street most cars are going 10-15 OVER the speed limit, so the Tesla gets up to speed and then of course slows everyone down.
It does this pulling out of a stoplight when i have the green arrow to turn left. Nothing to do with oncoming cars, perhaps thats a default setting because in the past it has had a hard time committing to turns across oncoming traffic. That being said, rights on red should be aggressive, lefts across traffic should be aggressive, but turns at traffic lights when you have the arrow should be a bit steadier.

It does this pulling out of a stoplight when i have the green arrow to turn left. Nothing to do with oncoming cars, perhaps thats a default setting because in the past it has had a hard time committing to turns across oncoming traffic. That being said, rights on red should be aggressive, lefts across traffic should be aggressive, but turns at traffic lights when you have the arrow should be a bit steadier.
Yet for some reason on unprotected lefts at a light it slows down during the turn allowing the cross traffic to approach too close. If I'm turning across three lanes of opposing traffic, it's almost crawling by the third lane. I often have to apply accelerator to prevent being hit, or worse honked at.

• Funny
Reactions: mhan00 and Phlier
The present version of FSD beta (10.3.1) will not change to anything lower than 25 mph whether there's a speed limit sign or an OSM tagged node. At least that been my experience. And if an OSM node has neither a 25+ mph sign nor a speed limit tag, the FSD beta speed limit defaults to 25 mph. This is a change from 10.2 which had no default speed limit for tagless, signless nodes. It would continue to obey the speed limit from the previous node.
Do you know for sure, like you have made changes on the road speed limit in OSM or other road changes and saw a change in car? I changed stuff on a road and in parking lot and the only changes that took in car were the parking lot. I am not saying you are incorrect as I don't know, its just not been my experience and I am wondering since you mentioned tagged nodes if I am doing something wrong. I just made changes to the speed limit for the road segment. Do I need to set a specific node with something to make it come through and to tell it this is where the speed changes or something? I really hope I just haven't been doing something right.

Do you know for sure, like you have made changes on the road speed limit in OSM or other road changes and saw a change in car? I changed stuff on a road and in parking lot and the only changes that took in car were the parking lot. I am not saying you are incorrect as I don't know, its just not been my experience and I am wondering since you mentioned tagged nodes if I am doing something wrong. I just made changes to the speed limit for the road segment. Do I need to set a specific node with something to make it come through and to tell it this is where the speed changes or something? I really hope I just haven't been doing something right.
I really have been confuse as to which maps are used by tesla. I found this article indicating they currently use Google. Tesla will build its own maps using driving data from the fleet, confirms Elon Musk

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and EVNow
My car heads straight for my mailbox, on the left side of the street. Google maps represents this small rural subdivision and the short dead end road I live on with repeating tree patterns and a guesstimate road. Road unmarked, easily allows passage of two vehicles, lots of leaves right now.

Better maps could be a huge improvement.

Planning to put an orange cone in front of mail box and see what it does the next time. I have to be careful selecting FSD due to neighbors exercising on the road. A visualization missed them entirely when they were laying on the road (not their typical style). I mention this to emphasize how far object recognition needs to go to avoid people who are doing strange things.

Road to town is twisty and hilly with a few blind curves. Often back roads end up with 55mph speed limits, totally inappropriate when you are heading into a blind curve. Honey badger don't care.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dan D.
I really have been confuse as to which maps are used by tesla. I found this article indicating they currently use Google. Tesla will build its own maps using driving data from the fleet, confirms Elon Musk
This was my understanding as well, that OSM was used for parking lots (smart summon) and google was used for road mapping and data. So many people say it's this or that but don't actually know, that's why I'm hoping that guy has done something with nodes in OSM and actually saw that it made a difference on speed limit data for roads. I would be super happy if this was the case.

.... I have to be careful selecting FSD due to neighbors exercising on the road. A visualization missed them entirely when they were laying on the road (not their typical style). I mention this to emphasize how far object recognition needs to go to avoid people who are doing strange things.
Maybe it can be Tesplained someday why object recognition of any kind is needed to avoid anything. Just don't hit things.

Reactions: Z_Lynx
My car heads straight for my mailbox, on the left side of the street. Google maps represents this small rural subdivision and the short dead end road I live on with repeating tree patterns and a guesstimate road. Road unmarked, easily allows passage of two vehicles, lots of leaves right now.

Better maps could be a huge improvement.

Planning to put an orange cone in front of mail box and see what it does the next time. I have to be careful selecting FSD due to neighbors exercising on the road. A visualization missed them entirely when they were laying on the road (not their typical style). I mention this to emphasize how far object recognition needs to go to avoid people who are doing strange things.

Road to town is twisty and hilly with a few blind curves. Often back roads end up with 55mph speed limits, totally inappropriate when you are heading into a blind curve. Honey badger don't care.
When entering my street (which takes a lot of wheel back and forth, and a go peddle push to get it to make the turn) my car heads INTO ANOTHER CAR that is always parked under a tree on a curve in the street, under a tree, before LURCHING back to the left to avoid it. I finally let it go once today after having disengaged it every prior time out of fear within about 12 inches, and it probably comes closer and then jerks the wheel left to avoid impact. It’s great. It really IS like a Harry Potter ride at Universal. It’s is 100% clear that the system is NOT learning certainly not related to an individual or location, it’s not really even learning from it’s mistakes.

This was my understanding as well, that OSM was used for parking lots (smart summon) and google was used for road mapping and data. So many people say it's this or that but don't actually know, that's why I'm hoping that guy has done something with nodes in OSM and actually saw that it made a difference on speed limit data for roads. I would be super happy if this was the case.
I can't really provide any conclusive information. I have made changes to speed limits on both Google and OSM and have not seen any changes on the roads where I made the changes. I'm new to Tesla so I am not as well informed as many on the sight. I know that the last map update for my MY was last year and there have been no new updates since I made the changes to the maps so I don't know if the changes I made just haven't been sent to the car yet.