Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent. My problem is the B-pillar doesn't have a clear view to the left and IMO the only way FSD can see to the left is to stay perpendicular and creep but that requires a hard 90 degree turn. However there isn't enough road space to avoid crossing the center line and at this intersection FSD will proceed with traffic coming from the right and then has to stop in the road. When that happens I just have to take over early and do the turn myself.

I still have the basic question of how far to the left & right can the front cameras see? 90 degrees, more than 90 or less than 90? Does anyone know?
Wouldn't the repeater camera near the front fender help with this to complement the B-pillar camera's view? Together, they probably provide full side coverage or close to it.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the repeater camera near the front fender help with this to complement the B-pillar camera's view?

the repeaters are pointed pretty far backwards. I don't think they contribute at all to cross traffic visibility.

The B-pillar cameras are angled forward. If @aronth5 is correct that the B pillar cameras require a perpendicular approach for a right turn, that would imply its field of view is not wide enough and/or the cameras are pointed too far forward.

Reactions: impastu
My first 10.5 drive left me with the following observations:

Good:
  • Stays to the right of unmarked roads much better than previous versions (opposite of @vanjwilson here).

I will give unlined streets a more thorough test tonight, from the far side of my neighborhood. I hope your experience is more common, and I was being too harsh on my initial short drive.

It still slowed down to 19mph for all the neighborhood speed humps, even though they stopped being visualized
Oh yeah I also noticed the visualization going away, but perhaps it was accidentally added in the first place as those speed bumps would still be visualized as part of the "visualization preview" even with FSD Beta turned off.

Stop lines are now back as blurry lines similar to the crosswalk visual except thinner and shorter.

Serious question here: I have the new refresh S and I am watching videos of M3's and MY's in FSD beta and it is a totally different experience than what I am having. It is constant disengagements for me. I went 2 miles this AM and had to disengage 5 times. And yes I have recalibrated my cams each time (not yet on 10.5). Could it be that FSD beta works better on some vehicles like 3's and Y's than the new S?

Serious question here: I have the new refresh S and I am watching videos of M3's and MY's in FSD beta and it is a totally different experience than what I am having. It is constant disengagements for me. I went 2 miles this AM and had to disengage 5 times. And yes I have recalibrated my cams each time (not yet on 10.5). Could it be that FSD beta works better on some vehicles like 3's and Y's than the new S?
I would not be surprised if some vehicles perform better at this point. FWIW My experience with my Plaid was like yours on 10.4 and I pretty much stopped using it. 10.5 is much better.

Serious question here: I have the new refresh S and I am watching videos of M3's and MY's in FSD beta and it is a totally different experience than what I am having.
We have talked quite a bit about it earlier in this threads.

It is a combination of getting used to at - and watching the video being much different than actually driving. On TV things always look easier than when you do it for the first time.

I would not be surprised if some vehicles perform better at this point. FWIW My experience with my Plaid was like yours on 10.4 and I pretty much stopped using it. 10.5 is much better.
Yep that was my experience with 10.3 and 10.4 as well. Just turned it off. I will do a cam recalibration with 10.5 and see what happens. It's definitely smoother outside of metro LA, but I've still needed to disengage quite often even while in suburbs. Probably have more test vehicles that are 3's and Y's and more data for them is my guess.

• Tried to "block the box" (wanted to pull up to queue behind last car in line for a traffic light, but doing so would leave my car blocking another intersection)
Is there an actual box painted on the road? I wouldn't expect FSD beta to handle this properly yet unless the road is marked. There is a road I was on with beta 10.3.1 where a box is marked to not block an "intersection" (parking lot, technically), and it did stop short of the box while there was another vehicle stopped on the other side of the box at the red light.
Also noteworthy:
  • Skidded slightly on some unexpected ice during a right turn. It was only the slightest of slip, and I don't think I could have done it any better myself on that black ice (both in avoiding slipping and in maintaining control), but it still happened. FSD didn't beep or bail or anything - it just kept on driving
Without having been there to experience it, and based on your description, I really doubt FSD even knew there was a slip here. Not sure if you could tell with FSD visualization engaged (where would relevant "idiot lights" be placed to "illuminate"), but prior to FSD beta, I've experienced plenty of slips where detection was indicated along with more than I'd expect where it wasn't.

As in it's showing the same as non-FSD Autopilot visualizations? Did you re-enable (and agree to the new terms) FSD Beta?
Very much this @gadelrosario
You're describing normal AP visualizations. Either you didn't re-enable FSD beta per the first item in the release notes (FSD beta was disabled so that you'd have to agree to new terms to continue using it), your FSD beta visualization option is turned off, or you're experiencing a bug where a reboot or next drive may clear it.

While significant improvements in my night drive, still seeing a decent (but less)amount of phantom braking during the daylight with traffic. The situations were rounding some curves coming upon oncoming traffic, cars from side streets looking to turn on to road I am driving (think Tesla creep out versus stopped at the line), and cars turning on from a side street on the opposite side of the road and going in the opposite direction. There were definitely less non-other vehicle phantom braking. It's clearly improved and will be good to see further refinement. Time will tell if I assess the need to disengage with traffic behind me - at this point I think I will keeping FSD engaged and using the pedal to address phantom braking as it definitely appears approved based on this initial daylight drive.

Had a comparatively bad drive in the morning dropping off kids.

Its the same route I've done 20x over the last month with FSD - there is some variability, even with same release. So, have to wait for a few more drives for a reliable report.

- On the first right turn from stop, suddenly jerked the wheel to the left - so got disengaged. While I've written a lot about the jerkiness when turning right from a stop, none of the wheel action has been this much.
- At an intersection where the side roads have stop signs, the shoulder starts out very broad and then narrows. On rainy nights, the car had got confused once and gotten into the shoulder - but today in broad day light on a dray day, the car decided to use the shoulder rather than the lane it has taken every day. Second disengagement.
- At a signal when going straight, the car decided to go only 100 ft or so and then stop. Not sure what happened - had to take over. Unfortunately hadn't turned on the camera. So, third disengagement.

Apart from the above 3, had some usual disengagements.

- At a traffic signal where the car needs to turn right, it is supposed to be no-turn on red (the signal says "right turn signal"). But most people turn and honk if someone doesn't. Had to disengage here because, the car stopped well short of the intersection and for me to even press the go pedal, I need the car to creep. Not sure we can control the creep by pushing the go pedal, without the car deciding to take off at the wrong time.
- Roundabout that is not in the map

Other observations ..
- The car seemed to keep more to the left right on unmarked roads. Could be just the normal variability.
- When finishing the drive at home, the car came closer to the curb. New behavior or just by chance ?
- Turns when already moving have always been variable. Some smooth, others jerky. Today all the turns seemed jerky.

So, on the basis of this one drive, I've to say 10.5 was worse than 10.4. But need more observations to confirm.

Last edited:
This mornings run on the new 36.8.8, I'm getting Phantom Braking where I have never experienced it before. Looks like the driveways from the warehouses and businesses are causing it to brake. Never had this happen in the past 3 years or on 36.8.5.

NOA on the highway run today would not change into the right lane. The lane would turn blue, the box the car was going into was projected, blinker just kept blinking and car would not move over. I had to manually intervene each time and I tried multiple times. There were no cars or vehicles nearby and highway clearly marked, no issues with sun or anything else. Car has never had a problem on this local highway. If i put the left blinker on it would turn the lane blue project the box and move over immediately. Interestingly when I was in the right lane and had to exit, it put the signal on and moved over on it's own. Not sure why noa right lane change is no longer working under 36.8.8

Maybe I'll make a run with Autolane change no prompt and see if i can get it to do it without me signaling. Also I'll make a run with Beta turned off too and see what happens.

I had a lot of phantom braking as previously mentioned but also received a lot of disengagements and warnings to take control right away.

Went out for a second drive and the only thing I can say is that was the worst drive on any FSD version I've ever had. So incredibly bad I finally just gave up and reported the problems to Tesla. And I was so looking forward to a positive drive after seeing most people had really good things to say. I have to think the upgrade didn't install properly. And just for my piece of mind I recalibrated the cameras and performed a power off/on.
The update also enabled the confirm lane change which I didn't realize until I was on the highway. Me bad for not checking all my settings.

Last edited:
Had a comparatively bad drive in the morning dropping off kids.

Its the same route I've done 20x over the last month with FSD - there is some variability, even with same release. So, have to wait for a few more drives for a reliable report.

- On the first right turn from stop, suddenly jerked the wheel to the left - so got disengaged. While I've written a lot about the jerkiness when turning right from a stop, none of the wheel action has been this much.
- At an intersection where the side roads have stop signs, the shoulder starts out very broad and then narrows. On rainy nights, the car had got confused once and gotten into the shoulder - but today in broad day light on a dray day, the car decided to use the shoulder rather than the lane it has taken every day. Second disengagement.
- At a signal when going straight, the car decided to go only 100 ft or so and then stop. Not sure what happened - had to take over. Unfortunately hadn't turned on the camera. So, third disengagement.

Apart from the above 3, had some usual disengagements.

- At a traffic signal where the car needs to turn right, it is supposed to be no-turn on red (the signal says "right turn signal"). But most people turn and honk if someone doesn't. Had to disengage here because, the car stopped well short of the intersection and for me to even press the go pedal, I need the car to creep. Not sure we can control the creep by pushing the go pedal, without the car deciding to take off at the wrong time.
- Roundabout that is not in the map

Other observations ..
- The car seemed to keep more to the left right on unmarked roads. Could be just the normal variability.
- When finishing the drive at home, the car came closer to the curb. New behavior or just by chance ?
- Turns when already moving have always been variable. Some smooth, others jerky. Today all the turns seemed jerky.

So, on the basis of this one drive, I've to say 10.5 was worse than 10.4. But need more observations to confirm.
" I need the car to creep." I use "chill" mode and the directions indicate that the car will not creep in this mode. What mode do you use? I am going to try the normal mode next time and see what the difference is.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow