Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who are visual, like me, and like charts, tables, and diagrams, I have been trying to keep up-to-speed on recent software downloads using the table in Post #1 here: Trying to Make Sense.... I started this in order to try to understand the whole Tesla software download thing, and why so many cars had different versions at any one time. This Wiki Thread is new to me, so I'll have to start reading...

At some point (after the New Year) I'll probably have to stop updating the Table, as it is getting too big. Most of you probably already know about Not A Tesla App, right? Good source of up-to-date info about Tesla software and App updates. And there are the download sampling data (from subsets of Tesla cars whose owners subscribe to these aftermarket Tesla app services) performed by Teslafi and Teslascope.

Just completed my first 10.8 drive. Overall very solid - but I was focused on one specific area that is unfortunately not improved in 10.8.

I'm curious for other people's experience with this. There are two three way intersections in my neighborhood (each with only a single stop sign). When my car approaches these stop signs to make an unprotected left turn, the behavior is pretty awful:

1. The car stops waaaay before the intersection. I understand this is because there is no line at the intersection, so it has to guess where to stop. But it's not even close.
  2. It then begins a very slow creep towards the intersection. Meanwhile, I can clearly see that there is no cross traffic approaching, and the car's b pillar cams have an unobstructed view.
  3. More hesitation, more steering wheel jiggle, more creeping, often into the intersection. Plenty of visibility, and clear to me that no cross traffic is approaching.
  4. Finally when it's completely in the middle of the intersection, it makes up its mind and turns left.
This behavior is not consistent for all intersections. I've had better luck at other similar intersections, although it is still much more hesitant than a human driver.

Anyone else have a similar experience? It's actually one of the major remaining issues that makes FSD Beta unusable for my commute/drive.

EDIT - here's one of the intersections. Sorry for the terrible scribbling - the intersection is circled, and the arrow shows the direction I'm approaching to the stop sign.

I think one contributing factor is that the cross street bends out of view, so I suppose it's possible a car could unexpectedly come through at an extremely high rate of speed. As you can see that cross street in a cul-de-sac and there is hardly any traffic, so I just know that I'm not going to see 50 mph cross traffic. But I suppose FSD doesn't take this into consideration?

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 9.34.42 AM.png

Last edited:
Just completed my first 10.8 drive. Overall very solid - but I was focused on one specific area that is unfortunately not improved in 10.8.

I'm curious for other people's experience with this. There are two three way intersections in my neighborhood (each with only a single stop sign). When my car approaches these stop signs to make an unprotected left turn, the behavior is pretty awful:

1. The car stops waaaay before the intersection. I understand this is because there is no line at the intersection, so it has to guess where to stop. But it's not even close.
  2. It then begins a very slow creep towards the intersection. Meanwhile, I can clearly see that there is no cross traffic approaching, and the car's b pillar cams have an unobstructed view.
  3. More hesitation, more steering wheel jiggle, more creeping, often into the intersection. Plenty of visibility, and clear to me that no cross traffic is approaching.
  4. Finally when it's completely in the middle of the intersection, it makes up its mind and turns left.
This behavior is not consistent for all intersections. I've had better luck at other similar intersections, although it is still much more hesitant than a human driver.

Anyone else have a similar experience? It's actually one of the major remaining issues that makes FSD Beta unusable for my commute/drive.
seen that behavior too many times - its really frustrating. It swings the wheel so far left and right you'd think it was trying a U turn.
Most of the time I give up and take over - but then it leaves the indicator flashing but doesn't have a consistent cancel option.Sometimes its tap the opposite direction, others times its tap the same direction. Consistent disengage behavior would be nice.

Reactions: impastu and nvx1977
seen that behavior too many times - its really frustrating. It swings the wheel so far left and right you'd think it was trying a U turn.
Most of the time I give up and take over - but then it leaves the indicator flashing but doesn't have a consistent cancel option.Sometimes its tap the opposite direction, others times its tap the same direction. Consistent disengage behavior would be nice.

Disengagement should just reset any turn signals. I've emailed them in the past about this, but never hurts to keep nagging. Also TACC remaining on after disengaging.

-edit-
I just emailed them again about the turn signal and TACC, and I got an autoresponse (haven't gotten one in a really long time), and notably it said this, which I don't believe was in the old autoresponse message:

Our engineering teams are working hard at constantly improving Tesla vehicles, including the FSD Beta feature, so while we will digest your feedback we aren’t likely going to be able to respond.

Last edited:

EDIT - here's one of the intersections. Sorry for the terrible scribbling - the intersection is circled, and the arrow shows the direction I'm approaching to the stop sign.

I think one contributing factor is that the cross street bends out of view, so I suppose it's possible a car could unexpectedly come through at an extremely high rate of speed. As you can see that cross street in a cul-de-sac and there is hardly any traffic, so I just know that I'm not going to see 50 mph cross traffic. But I suppose FSD doesn't take this into consideration?

View attachment 747863
I have two T intersections with a single stop sign. I get that behavior at both intersections consistently when taking the unprotected left turn. The car will usually creep into the middle of the intersection with plenty of time to execute but waits until oncoming traffic is too close and I have to take over.

Still checking constantly for the update... I was hoping they'd release this one to everyone in one big lump, since most of us are still stuck on 10.5 but I guess they are still using the slow rollout method...
Hope you and everyone else who has been waiting get it soon. I had been stuck on 10.5 until this morning's upgrade, so it's coming to you!

Here my version of the path planning torture test.
Heading north and the road turns left onto Ok Ridge Dr, but has an incoming driveway/road on the right.
No road signs, no yield or stop but the car comes to a full and complete stop, flings the steering left and right, stutters forward before eventually making the left turn in a series of jagged steering movements.
Then it approaches the right turn - normal traffic follows the corner around to the right.
Again, full and complete stop, steering wheel going crazy until the car finally lurches around.
It's the same nonsense heading back the other way.
Having other cars on the road just makes it even worse, by the time it's got around to making a move if it sees another car on the road it just resets the whole thing and it starts again.
I've only got the patience to try this a couple of times per release, so we will see what happens with 10.8
But its oddities like this that FSD needs to cope with, so I'll keep going and hope they fix it. This area has so many of these types of junctions that a disengagement free drive only happens when you avoid them :)
Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 10.46.20.png

2. It then begins a very slow creep towards the intersection. Meanwhile, I can clearly see that there is no cross traffic approaching, and the car's b pillar cams have an unobstructed view...
What I find interesting is the T-intersections in my neighborhood don't have Stop signs you just have to stop before turning left or right.
Instead of stopping "waaaay" before the intersection FSD drives quickly right up the edge of the intersection before creeping quickly another foot or two. The behavior is actually good except when FSD sometimes decides to pull out with cars too close. They need to incorporate some of this behavior with Stop sign intersections.

Reactions: nvx1977 and impastu
Here my version of the path planning torture test.
Check the map. FSD confusion is the strongest when vision and map don’t agree.

Last edited:
Any more 10.8 drive reviews? Trying to decide if I should get back in, after getting out at 10.4. @EVNow?
Ok - went for a quick drive.

Overall - apart from UI - not very different from 10.6.1.
- Same jittery behavior at roundabouts. Stops before proceeding slowly.
- Right turn from a stop has improved over the course of releases and there isn't much, if any, jittery wheel jerking.
- One improvement: Didn't stop at the yellow flashing light at a crosswalk near the school. Need confirmation.
- Map changes I made in TomTom haven't yet flowed down the car
- Blind spot camera doesn't turn on when the car takes turns. So, can't use it as curb-camera. Didn't have any lane changes ...
- There is a button on navigation window next to cancel, not sure what it does. May be if switched off, it acts like old EAP - like the NOA button on freeways?
- There is no longer the wider visualization i.e. the visualization window doesn't expand when in FSD. But you can drag the window to cover the entire screen.

ps : No idea why Elon would call this "11".

vlcsnap-2021-12-24-10h22m02s856.png