Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any other 100s still waiting like me? Killing me, Smalls!

One 2019 MX near you finished installing about 15 min ago.....fingers crossed

1633947318322.png

Last edited:
This thing is SCARY… I honestly don’t see what everyone else was so mind blown about. I understand the *experiences may vary* warning. But it almost ran me off the road into a field multiple times. It goes blazing fast through intersection curves causing me to have to forcibly disengage for safety reasons. Got in the wrong lanes plenty of times. This will get someone hurt. I HOPE nobody does but its not ready for wider distribution honestly. I want tesla to win , I’m not downing them at all. But in the wrong hands this will be bad

Yikes. I just drove with 10.2 and I’m not that impressed! It was scary. It was very aggressive at everything it did. Turns we’re very aggressive. Yet they want us to drive crazy slow for the Safety Score. I’m not sure that it’s ready yet yall. Maybe cuz it was dark?? But shoot I can’t use this when the roads have other traffic in them!
Of course it isn't ready. We are supposed to help train it.

This thing is SCARY… I honestly don’t see what everyone else was so mind blown about. I understand the *experiences may vary* warning. But it almost ran me off the road into a field multiple times. It goes blazing fast through intersection curves causing me to have to forcibly disengage for safety reasons. Got in the wrong lanes plenty of times. This will get someone hurt. I HOPE nobody does but its not ready for wider distribution honestly. I want tesla to win , I’m not downing them at all. But in the wrong hands this will be bad
I agree with you so much bro. I love TSLA. But FSD is no where near expansion yet. I had the same experience. Very scary even on docile roads that a new human driver could easily navigate. What I’ve seen on YouTube videos from others posting FSD stuff was not my experience at all! Again, it was my first drive and at night where maybe cameras aren’t optimally seeing things. Maybe it’ll be better with daylight.

Of course it isn't ready. We are supposed to help train it.
Well yeah, but I’m talking about the 1k per day expansion that Elon has been mentioning. I don’t think it’s ready for that kind of volume. It’s behavior made me nervous with seldom 1-2 cars around here and there. Can’t imagine how it’ll be when the roads are full of other cars.

I don't understand why its tuned to be so aggressive, it's very un-chill. From watching AI Day it kind of makes sense why it's so erratic, they have some kind of numeric solver doing the path planning, so it drives like a crazy robot. It doesn't try to imitate human driving at all. It jerks the steering around trying to fit itself onto the projected path.

I agree with you so much bro. I love TSLA. But FSD is no where near expansion yet. I had the same experience. Very scary even on docile roads that a new human driver could easily navigate. What I’ve seen on YouTube videos from others posting FSD stuff was not my experience at all! Again, it was my first drive and at night where maybe cameras aren’t optimally seeing things. Maybe it’ll be better with daylight.
Yeah maybe it’ll be better in the daylight….hopefully.

I don't understand why its tuned to be so aggressive, it's very un-chill. From watching AI Day it kind of makes sense why it's so erratic, they have some kind of numeric solver doing the path planning, so it drives like a crazy robot. It doesn't try to imitate human driving at all. It jerks the steering around trying to fit itself onto the projected path.
This describes it perfectly. Its so jerky 😭 not smooth at all.

Reactions: Terminator857
How do you engage FSD? I downloaded the update, put in a destination and engaged AP (double-tap the stalk). It still looks and acts just like regular AP. It doesn't make turns and the visualizations are the same. I double-checked my software version and it's FSD Beta 10.2 (2021.32.25).
This is scary question... How are people getting FSD Beta and they don't know how to enable it. Yet some experienced users since 2017 have to wait in a que...

Just did several trips in the last hour:
- 0 disengagements to office
- 0 disengagements to home
- 1 disengagement to office (different route) - got in correct left turn lane on red then decided it wanted to go straight green
- 0 disengagements to grocery store
- 0 disengagements to coffee
- 1 disengagement getting out of parking lot (although I was confused about where to drive as well)
- 0 disengagements to school

Definitely some jerky and slow/unsure behaviors. Pressed the snapshot button a few times but didn't disengage with no traffic around, e.g., lane change during shifted intersection, traveling in center turn lane, took wrong turn at odd intersection (but rerouted fine).

This was my experience too. I think the overfitting challenge is real. Not all beta testers are in CA, but I wonder if it was even overfit for these non-CA testers because they were reporting issues in their neighborhood?

While it handled some maneuvers impressively, it had some issues even with simple and well marked intersections like I’ve seen it handle no issue in other beta videos.

I’m suspecting/hoping that this is a necessary step to get enough data to adapt to these new areas. Until then, I’ll definitely be puckering up at most intersections!

EDIT: Happy to see that I still have a 100 for the day after 21 miles, most on FSD :)

Reactions: geekfam and impastu
This was my experience too. I think the overfitting challenge is real. Not all beta testers are in CA, but I wonder if it was even overfit for these non-CA testers because they were reporting issues in their neighborhood?

While it handled some maneuvers impressively, it had some issues even with simple and well marked intersections like I’ve seen it handle no issue in other beta videos.

I’m suspecting/hoping that this is a necessary step to get enough data to adapt to these new areas. Until then, I’ll definitely be puckering up at most intersections!

EDIT: Happy to see that I still have a 100 for the day after 21 miles, most on FSD :)

I had it completely blow past a well-marked left turn, it didn't even slow down.

Reactions: impastu