Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi just my general feedback so far:
  • neighborhoods should almost be given their own section of dev. Theres newly paved neighborhood roads in my neighborhood and they are just now putting down the lines on some. 10.2 does well when there are lines, but not when its not painted. There are some tracks of paint that aren't actually lane lines which confuses it and forces me to disengage. Also, too far into the middle of the road on wide neighborhood roads. Also, when there are cars parked on BOTH sides of a narrow neighborhood street, sometimes the only option is to pull to the side if there's a car coming. Could do a better job of this. Pretty close to cars parked on narrow neighborhood streets too when passing
  • Also, pure vision has resulted in way more random breaking
  • Also, not sure if there is an issue with turn signals staying on too long? I have had several instances where I have to manually turn it off after completing a 90 degree angle turn.
  • Also, at stop signs often it stops too early and creeps for too far and too long

Last edited:
What’s with the double blinkers?? It seems like a lot of times when I’m about to make a turn..the car will put the blinkers on a bit too early and then turn the off and then turn them back on right before the turn. Seems really weird, but I haven’t reported it
I had this happen tonight too. Seems like a bug. Didn’t really put them on too early. Just turned them on where I would have, three blinks or so, then turned them off. Then turned them on again after entering the left turn lane.

Reactions: impastu and Aaf0052
I had this happen tonight too. Seems like a bug. Didn’t really put them on too early. Just turned them on where I would have, three blinks or so, then turned them off. Then turned them on again after entering the left turn lane.
Same it's fine I guess but I worry adds to the anxiety of others drivers .... and makes me look like a dumbass

I made it to 100 miles! I drove at night on the freeway in LA with autopilot. I got 100 score but somehow an unsafe follow. I have no idea how I got unsafe follow, but it didn't seem to hurt my score. Is that because it happened when autopilot was on, but the app shows you an unsafe follow anyway?

244281099_1066756210801062_1573663488099777367_n.jpg

I'm on board but I hope Tesla gets a lot of good data from our doing this, it's kind of annoying and frustrating to test/use.
  • The hesitancy for right and left turns is way too long if there is any traffic behind me. It will tick off other drivers.
  • Seems like most turns have a small jerk to one side and back then it smooths out when it didn't really need to do that. Kind of jarring with your hands on the wheel. And often seems unsure of what it is doing or gonna do at first.
  • It stops too far back and too hesitant at stop signs, and since it stops short, it then has to inch up. It feels like forever sometimes.
  • When it hesitates on turns, I noticed giving it a little acceleration would sort of confirm and it run with it though I shouldn't need to do that.
It really does act like an unsure student driver, a bad one. I'll keep at it in order to help out our Teslas, but from watching how it fails at times, it feels like the tail on this beast is long.

I made it to 100 miles! I drove at night on the freeway in LA with autopilot. I got 100 score but somehow an unsafe follow. I have no idea how I got unsafe follow, but it didn't seem to hurt my score. Is that because it happened when autopilot was on, but the app shows you an unsafe follow anyway?

View attachment 720867
The unsafe follow is because you spent too much time on AP and not enough time banking safe following.

More of the same as has already been reported in about five different threads, multiple times…... No public release beta FSD, but an EAP tester. Still, a good sign that yokers might eventually see a release.
@jebinc just one middle of the night thought…yes I’m that boring…wonder if there’s an internal debate about yoke behavior when in FSD. Maybe some in Tesla think it would be more intuitive (and safer) to have yoke at rest while robot is driving and then have a transition in wheel position through a driver-prompted disengagement? If this is being debated it would make sense to restrict rollout to yokes until debate (and possibly programming) is resolved so as not to have a small but growing population have to fundamentally retrain.

!!!

So using the freeway and fsd to get youre score up is risky because as you disengage for a moment to exit or enter, you will be punished big for unsafe follow!
Yes, that has been repeatedly mentioned here. But unsafe following doesn’t really matter. Just get it below 5%. You still have 20 minutes. Get out there and follow someone at over 50mph (EDIT: don’t do this). It’ll probably take about 5 minutes.

EDIT: scratch that - you have a 100 score still (I think it isn’t that far from pushing you to 99, but it doesn’t), so just sit tight - no need for repair! As I said, unsafe following doesn’t matter. But for future reference just spend a minute or two following someone off of AP and then it is no big deal. Ideally below 1-2% because then it really does not make any significant difference.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: macmee and impastu

View attachment 720867
Naw you’re just rounding up to 100. Being on autopilot probably doesn’t help nor hurt your follow distance metric. The follow distance score is a percentage of time you are within 1 second or lead car divided by the percentage of time you’re within 3 seconds of a lead car…only when driving over 50mph and not on autopilot. So maybe of those 40 miles you drove, probably less than a mile was counted total…and then it says 14% of that time you were too close. But many Of the other metrics count the full 40 miles. So the weight of the follow distance is much smaller than the weight of your other perfect score metrics….allowing you to round up to 100%. some of this is a guess but seems to follow with my experience….a follow distance ding never hurts my score as much as an aggressive turn or brake.

Naw you’re just rounding up to 100. Being on autopilot probably doesn’t help nor hurt your follow distance metric. The follow distance score is a percentage of time you are within 1 second or lead car divided by the percentage of time you’re within 3 seconds of a lead car…only when driving over 50mph and not on autopilot. So maybe of those 40 miles you drove, probably less than a mile was counted total…and then it says 14% of that time you were too close. But many Of the other metrics count the full 40 miles. So the weight of the follow distance is much smaller than the weight of your other perfect score metrics….allowing you to round up to 100%. some of this is a guess but seems to follow with my experience….a follow distance ding never hurts my score as much as an aggressive turn or brake.
True friend, I should drive more tomorrow or this weekend too to give myself more padding.

Yes, that has been repeatedly mentioned here. But unsafe following doesn’t really matter. Just get it below 5%. You still have 20 minutes. Get out there and follow someone at over 50mph (EDIT: don’t do this). It’ll probably take about 5 minutes.

EDIT: scratch that - you have a 100 score still (I think it isn’t that far from pushing you to 99, but it doesn’t), so just sit tight - no need for repair! As I said, unsafe following doesn’t matter. But for future reference just spend a minute or two following someone off of AP and then it is no big deal. Ideally below 1-2% because then it really does not make any significant difference.
I will keep this in mind!

Reactions: impastu
True friend, I should drive more tomorrow or this weekend too to give myself more padding.
you have enough miles to qualify so don’t feel like you have to drive. I don’t think you need more padding. I’m guessing though that Elon isn’t gonna release any more until 10.3 however. He said maybe next week…which might mean next month.

@jebinc …wonder if there’s an internal debate about yoke behavior when in FSD. ...
Maybe we'll see a video from Vincent Yu using the yoke with FSD Beta.

One question I have is how much it would hurt to be hit by the yoke during a fast spin. It looks like the wheel can turn several times in a fraction of a second, and it has flat and pointy surfaces that could contact your hands.

Likely you'd not be able to shadow-steer the yoke during a sharp turn like you can do with the wheel, so you might have to hover your hands nearby. I guess we'll see how it works soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu
Took another trip at night with no traffic around at night, some points:

• Lots of random slow-down/braking events on a clear road, I can pick up little "micro-hesitations" as it drives, like it just momentarily saw some obstacle for a single frame and panicked for like 10ms, sometimes triggers FCW.
  • Turns are always hit-or-miss, it always completes them but it will turn too wide or too tight and jerk the wheel to correct midway
  • As it approached one turn the wheel started to shimmy left/right, never saw that before (saved snapshot)
  • It comes to a complete stop before roundabouts with no one around
  • It changes lanes well before its turn (good), but attempts it very close to intersections (bad)
  • It tried to enter a neighborhood "traffic calming circle" at its full set speed (disengaged)
  • At stop signs it doesn't position itself like a human, i.e. keeping to the right of the lane when turning right

FSD is bad about getting into filter lanes early at intersections. But its pretty good about switching lanes early in advance of turns or upcoming lane restrictions. Probably heavily dependent on map data. My car turned left into an inner lane and then almost immediately started a lane change to the rightmost lane well in advance of the next right turn. Seemed very smooth and what I would have done.

Reactions: jebinc