Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This same thing can be used to help with "what is the other driver going to do?" Show it many instances of that situation, and look at the outcome of what the other driver did. And repeat this millions of times. You end up with a pretty good idea of how the average human is going to react in a given driving situation.
This is the "end to end" training. Tesla isn't doing it - yet.

They use "planner" a procedural code written to figure out the action. They use NN only for perception at this time. The planner figures out the route by running an optimizer that picks the most optimal route based on several parameters (and weights).

Someone wrote this earlier in this thread. It's hard enough for the NN to understand the physics of the car, the geometry of the road network and the myriad of traffic rules. But then it also has to consider the small percentage of drivers of other vehicles that either don't understand those three constructs or just don't care about them.

This all becomes evident when navigating FSD beta's new worst enemy, roundabouts. At least with unprotected left turns, the car may just not have enough camera angles to make an informed decision. With roundabouts, except for ones more than two lanes, lack of vision data is not an issue. What is an issue is the unpredictability of drivers entering and within the roundabout. Highway engineers love roundabouts because they improve traffic flow. But a significant number of drivers just don't understand how they work. Until that changes, I suggest the only solution to traversing a roundabout is a manual disengagement. I'm focusing on the US here, as my experience in Europe is that drivers there adequately understand roundabouts.

This whole thing is a perfect example of Elon doing it wrong.

I've read @jebinc 's posts here for over two years now. A more pro-Tesla guy I had never seen. He started with a Model 3. Loved it so much, he replaced it with a Model Y and a Plaid. Purchased FSD, too. Even replaced his wheel on his Y with a yoke.

How are guys like him rewarded for their support? By silently being excluded with no explanation. And even WORSE, a misinformation campaign starts up trying to convince people they HADN'T been excluded.

Not the way to recover from your mistake, Elon. Misinformation campaigns are NEVER the right answer; I think Elon has spent too much time in China.

This whole situation is discouraging, to say the least.

C'mon, Elon. You can do better than this. Don't piss off your greatest supporters.
I'm a long time follower of TMC, but I've rarely (once) commented. This post by Phlier along with many of jebinc's are spot on. I'm a first time Tesla owner with a Plaid, a 100 score and no Beta. Love the car, but it's not fun driving it while trying to maintain this score. So, for the most part it sits in the garage. I don't even know if we're still keeping score? Misinformation and especially a lack of information on how to proceed is really tarnishing the Tesla experience. C'mon Elon.

but the speed with which the wheel spun to the right almost caught me off guard.
Man, I want to be able to catch a video clip of FSD spinning the wheel soooooo bad.

Guys here would really have an epiphany moment if they could just watch a 3 second video of that wheel spinning. And imagining that a yoker wouldn't get his hand hurt if he tried to grab it? L O L.

IMO, yokers will never be able to let the FSD go as far into a maneuver as wheelers safely, as they'll need to disconnect before the yoke turns their arms into pretzels.

I'm a long time follower of TMC, but I've rarely (once) commented. This post by Phlier along with many of jebinc's are spot on. I'm a first time Tesla owner with a Plaid, a 100 score and no Beta. Love the car, but it's not fun driving it while trying to maintain this score. So, for the most part it sits in the garage. I don't even know if we're still keeping score? Misinformation and especially a lack of information on how to proceed is really tarnishing the Tesla experience. C'mon Elon.
@rjs1 @Phlier Thanks for the support! 🥰 My Plaid is also sitting in the garage with it's 1200 mile 100 safety score - none of those miles were at all enjoyable; in fact, very frustrating miles. I now just drive the MYP, with yoke, until this all sorts itself out.

Y1.jpg

Last edited:
Wait - I missed the campaign. Where is the campaign ?
A few well-known and hand picked "influencers" that had yoke vehicles (Plaids, of course) were given the Beta, and so far their posts appear to be an effort on Tesla's part to show that Plaid drivers have not been excluded.

The back-n-forth between @jebinc and WholeMarsCatalog on Twitter is one example, as is another Tweet re-posted in this thread by some well known investment fund manager and Tesla supporter.

Now whether or not Tesla actually instigated this campaign can't be proven, but nevertheless, it looks really bad.

A few well-known and hand picked "influencers" that had yoke vehicles (Plaids, of course) were given the Beta, and so far their posts appear to be an effort on Tesla's part to show that Plaid drivers have not been excluded.

The back-n-forth between @jebinc and WholeMarsCatalog on Twitter is one example, as is another Tweet re-posted in this thread by some well known investment fund manager and Tesla supporter.

Now whether or not Tesla actually instigated this campaign can't be proven, but nevertheless, it looks really bad.
@Phlier It sure does (i.e., "look" bad)... "The facts and data will set you free..."

Reactions: Phlier

Possible or we are reading too much into it.

I still think it is most likely - they needed to make some changes specifically for yokers - and they are (very) slowly releasing it first to influencers.

So, we have "early early" release first - and then "early" release.

ps : Won't be surprised if as part of 10.3 release to those with 99 score, yokers get in as well. But, until that is decided, they will probably keep quite. Once a decision to release has been made, Musk will tweet.

If @EVNow thinks this thread is chaotic, I’m assuming he’s not been to the Model S Refresh Delivery thread 😅😅

Anyone remember the early days of the Model 3 launch? People were pissed because Tesla was batching deliveries by paint color, and if you missed the batch, it was a guaranteed 1.5-2months before your next shot. Never a dull moment with Tesla.

Possible or we are reading too much into it.

I still think it is most likely - they needed to make some changes specifically for yokers - and they are (very) slowly releasing it first to influencers.

So, we have "early early" release first - and then "early" release.

ps : Won't be surprised if as part of 10.3 release to those with 99 score, yokers get in as well. But, until that is decided, they will probably keep quite. Once a decision to release has been made, Musk will tweet.
I had an early release last night, gf wasn't happy

Anyone remember the early days of the Model 3 launch? People were pissed because Tesla was batching deliveries by paint color, and if you missed the batch, it was a guaranteed 1.5-2months before your next shot. Never a dull moment with Tesla.
Yup.

Elon and the gang are in a rough situation. There is no way they're going to be able to keep everyone happy all the time. But when they do such obvious /facepalm things as they have with the Plaid/FSD Beta situation... you would think they'd at least attempt to prevent such obvious dumpster fires.

And you'd also think that they'd actually take a few minutes and put out said dumpster fires.

Yeah, I know... Elon is a busy man. He should hire someone who's job description is "Elon damage control and mitigation."

Any takers?

You couldn't pay me enough.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
@EVNow I think it will take some time to Tesla to cook up, and vet internally, the spin story (especially the one around their famous and preferred "yoke" cars being excluded).
Depends on how quickly they can release to yokers. If they can get it out with 10.3 - I think few will remember this in 6 months. If it drags on - then, yes.

I've been in such situations where a small % of users somehow would get overlooked and cause a lot of headache. With the pace of work mistakes are unavoidable. In such situation - best to acknowledge the error and if they don't know when they can get that taken care of, just state it (give a date for a date).

Reactions: Phlier