Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any examples of post-Sunday scores dropping to less than 100 and then getting 10.2? I temporarily dropped to 99 Wed for a few hours, but am back at 100. Hoping I didn’t self eliminate.

My score actually dipped back down to a 99 just last night due to a short FCW from someone pulling out of a McDonalds in front of me. Otherwise I've been maintaining a 100 since late last Friday night. Still woke up to the FSD Beta email + software update ready to install on my vehicle. Not sure what the criteria/cutoff was for this second push?

Our generation S / X are probably just considered obsolete. Should have bought the latest S to be able to get Beta... oh, wait...

I guess I must be thinking about it wrong. I can understand the perception being done by NN and it being quite variable/statistical. But is the range to the identified pedestrians somehow variable? Was it placing them in the wrong location (I don't think so though I was not running the GoPro so I'll never know) - I think it was highly improbable in this case.

If the car knew the approximate range to the pedestrians (who were just entering the crosswalk at a stop sign), and the range to the crosswalk, it should have known it could have just used partial regen and it would easily have stopped by the crosswalk (which it would have to be planning to do anyway since it did identify that there was a stop sign - I think!). Instead, it slammed on the brakes, well short of the crosswalk.

That seems more like a path planning issue, which I didn't think was being done by ML/NN right now.

Perhaps the Safety Score was a crazy plan hatched by some people at Tesla to produce data to give to their FSD engineers, to show them that indeed it is possible to drive a vehicle with extremely low levels of jerk. This is probably a topic of constant frustration at Tesla, is my guess. They need to do more work on their vaunted cost functions!

I can't believe they don't just log a bunch of data, and look at all the jerk and acceleration plots, and don't conclude it's totally FUBAR. It's not a difficult problem to identify; they undoubtedly have done this and are fully aware of the issue. What's less clear is why they haven't already placed strict limits on jerk except for true "surprises."
They said path planning was done with a monte carlo (i.e. random) tree search for the optimum path, based on various weights. This algorithm doesn't always find the best path, just a good one. It can prune the branch with the best path early and never find it.

I just saw a friend of mine who I don't see that often. He has a 2019 M3 with FSD. I asked him if he applied for the FSD beta and he didn't even know that the beta existed. I wonder how many other people on 2021.32.22 either don't realize what's happening or maybe don't care?
I'd guess that's the majority. Online forums are filled with vocal enthusiasts & trolls. Like most walks of life, most people lie somewhere in the middle. Even those that paid for FSD probably assume Tesla will let them know when there's something worth knowing. They're content to just wait and aren't going to blow up about things one way or the other.

You know - quite the opposite of what you see around here :)

I'm rejoicing for everyone getting FSD beta! happy testing! :)

Can the new people also update the spreadsheet, so we can see how broad this cohort is?