Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What really, really did not work was a consistent case: when a left turn is coming up, but there's a lot of traffic moving at high speeds to the left and the turn lane is blocked off after a certain distance. FSD panicked a lot here, jerking the wheel back and forth as if wildly unsure of how to proceed. This honestly scared me and I quickly intervened at least 3 separate occasions. Once it looked like it was going to change lanes and plow into an oncoming motorcycle. It seems this scenario is very undertested, and dangerous.
Do you mean - the left turn lane was backed up and traffic moved fast on the right hand side ?

I'd say this needs at least another year of refinement before it's even ready for actual beta.
I think we need probably 2 years before FSD Beta becomes GA (from early access only). Its already been in early access now for a year.

Do you mean - the left turn lane was backed up and traffic moved fast on the right hand side ?
Here's the scenario I mean. It was tough to describe in words. Imagine the car is on the right lane, and there's traffic going at high speed on the left lane, which then splits off to form the turn lane:

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 12.34.35 PM.png

There were three instances of this on my trip today. Sometimes there was 3 lanes total before the split off left turn lane, and that was an even messier scenario as the car rushed to get there before it cut off. I actually missed a left turn because of it and had to proceed to the next light--which I also almost missed before I gave up and did it manually.

I'll be sending this screenshot to Tesla (though I also pressed the camera clip button here too). I think it'll be useful for them to know about roads like this.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and Phlier
And you wanted to take that left turn ?
Well yes, that was the route that was set in the nav, and it was FSD beta that had me on the right lane for a while. It started the left turn signal some ways before this intersection, but with traffic coming on the left quickly (though not backed up a la rush hour--I think its irregularity may be part of the problem), it couldn't find an opportunity and then as the split drew closer, it tried to essentially force the issue. That's when I got scared and took over.

Reactions: impastu
So this is strictly a fair weather system? Do not use in snow or rain.
We saw during AI day how they intend to solve object persistence through blizzard-like conditions, so no, I don't think the long term intent is to limit the system to fair weather. They may choose to do that today, given current capability. But I suspect in a month or so, we'll start seeing videos of FSD in snow. They already removed the +5mph max speed restriction on local roads.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
We saw during AI day how they intend to solve object persistence through blizzard-like conditions, so no, I don't think the long term intent is to limit the system to fair weather. They may choose to do that today, given current capability. But I suspect in a month or so, we'll start seeing videos of FSD in snow. They already removed the +5mph max speed restriction on local roads.
Thanks for the info. But I was concerned about in its present form. Would you us it in conditions of reduced visibility or traction.

THere is a setting to alter how you engage it?
Under Controls > AutoPilot > AutoSteer Activation, you can choose single click or double click. With "single click", pressing the thumbwheel puts you into Autosteer, while with "double click", the first thumbwheel click engages TACC and the second click engages Autosteer.

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX and impastu
Thanks for the info. But I was concerned about in its present form. Would you us it in conditions of reduced visibility or traction.
As a tester, yes, I would use it. As an owner expecting FSD to handle all weather, no.

-edit- I see you are from TN. I would be hesitant to test in areas where black ice is a common occurrence. I grew up in metro Atlanta, and we stay indoors in freezing rain conditions. no salt/sand trucks to mitigate the hazard. I'm not as worried here in New England.

Well yes, that was the route that was set in the nav, and it was FSD beta that had me on the right lane for a while. It started the left turn signal some ways before this intersection, but with traffic coming on the left quickly (though not backed up a la rush hour--I think its irregularity may be part of the problem), it couldn't find an opportunity and then as the split drew closer, it tried to essentially force the issue. That's when I got scared and took over.
Got it. So, it was like the NOA exit (esp. to another freeway).