Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guy I talked to said that a bunch of guys requested out of the beta, and it caused some sort of database corruption problem, making it difficult to determine what VIN's to send the beta to.

Man, those wishy washy guys that can't decide if they want the beta or not are sure causing problems for the rest of us!!

*sigh*

;)
@Phlier Too funny, but may not be far from the truth.... I opted out a week ago last Friday, got an email last Wednesday saying my beta firmware was replaced with the normal production version - yet it was not.... still running v10.4 of Beta FSD! o_O

@Phlier Too funny, but may not be far from the truth.... I opted out a week ago last Friday, got an email last Wednesday saying my beta firmware was replaced with the normal production version - yet it was not.... still running v10.4 of Beta FSD! o_O
Just... wow. Their incompetence is exceeded only by their incompetence. : /

It'll be interesting to see if you get beta 10.5... if you don't, you'll officially be in some sort of Tesla firmware limbo/hell, it looks like.

Maybe you'll get the next public release for the Refresh crowd?

Not sure if this has been posted but a good first impression.
Around the 5:55 mark in the video he states there is new verbiage in the terms about getting the "Please pay attention" warning... they've set a limit to 3 times before they kick you out of the Beta program now?!?! That ain't gonna fly... Like he stated, he was holding the wheel and paying attention, so that alert wasn't correct. There are way too many false "pay attention" alerts for that to be the deciding factor for kicking someone out.

Hopefully he's interpreting it incorrectly though... hopefully it's 3 forced disengagements (big red steering wheel alert) which then makes complete sense.

Last edited:
Around the 5:55 mark in the video he states there is new verbiage in the terms about getting the "Please pay attention" warning... they've set a limit to 3 times before they kick you out of the Beta program now?!?! That ain't gonna fly... Like he stated, he was holding the wheel and paying attention, so that alert wasn't correct. There are way too many false "pay attention" alerts for that to be the deciding factor for kicking someone out.
That isn't what the release notes say. It is if you are put in AP jail three times:
1637555211087-png.735901

Hopefully he's interpreting it incorrectly though... hopefully it's 3 forced disengagements (big red steering wheel alert) which then makes complete sense.
He also said it could simply mean you would have to put the car in "park" before being able to use FSD again. That sounds consistent with previous messaging.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Just... wow. Their incompetence is exceeded only by their incompetence. : /

It'll be interesting to see if you get beta 10.5... if you don't, you'll officially be in some sort of Tesla firmware limbo/hell, it looks like.

Maybe you'll get the next public release for the Refresh crowd?

but you have to admit their look extremely competent in their incompetence!

database corruption for opting out doesn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy. How is that more than 1 bit to trigger different stuff all along the way? OK nobody does bits anymore. They probably use a full byte or even a 'Y'/'N' in unicode.

I had just edited my post hoping this was the case... if someone gets this warning 1 time let alone 3 then I agree they shouldn't be in the beta... Thanks for the image verification!
Actually I think you can get it while paying attention. They need some noise / chime to go along with the visual warning. I've never been kicked out but have missed the initial warning because I'm paying attention to the road and not staring at the screen. The blue tint/overlay that comes up has so far caught my attention but I can see a forced disengage happening when it should not

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Actually I think you can get it while paying attention. They need some noise / chime to go along with the visual warning. I've never been kicked out but have missed the initial warning because I'm paying attention to the road and not staring at the screen. The blue tint/overlay that comes up has so far caught my attention but I can see a forced disengage happening when it should not
@coreylista @aronth5 @MP3Mike @Phlier - I think there’s a problem with the driver sensors. I have received multiple red wheel of death alerts while driving with both hands on the wheel making small movements to prove I’m there, and looking forward at the road. I’m alone in the car and phone is in the charging dock, darkscreened. I’ve taken snapshots each time and even sent an FSDbeta email because I cannot figure out why the screaming “Take control immediately” alert. Most often it happens driving to work and I’ve wondered if it’s because I’m facing the sun and it doesn’t “see” me well in the car; an AI facial recognition problem?

What’s the blue tint/overlay? I haven’t seen it. Not sure if I missed it or didn’t receive it. I’m in MSLR refresh and before in AP, the tickler was a this white glow above the car avatar behind the steering wheel. I haven’t seen that since FSD.

@coreylista @aronth5 @MP3Mike @Phlier - I think there’s a problem with the driver sensors. I have received multiple red wheel of death alerts while driving with both hands on the wheel making small movements to prove I’m there, and looking forward at the road. I’m alone in the car and phone is in the charging dock, darkscreened. I’ve taken snapshots each time and even sent an FSDbeta email because I cannot figure out why the screaming “Take control immediately” alert. Most often it happens driving to work and I’ve wondered if it’s because I’m facing the sun and it doesn’t “see” me well in the car; an AI facial recognition problem?

What’s the blue tint/overlay? I haven’t seen it. Not sure if I missed it or didn’t receive it. I’m in MSLR refresh and before in AP, the tickler was a this white glow above the car avatar behind the steering wheel. I haven’t seen that since FSD.
I've had the red 'hands on wheel' alert occur when AP itself panicked. For example, about a month ago (pre-FSD beta) I was using AP with Nav on AP enabled. I was on the on-ramp from one highway to the next and came up to a 'Stop' sign.... on the ramp. No idea why the stop sign was there, but the car dropped into manual driving.

My assumption is that this can occur with FSD when it encounters a situation that it cannot handle. When this happened to you, did the car drop out off FSD?

I've had the red 'hands on wheel' alert occur when AP itself panicked. For example, about a month ago (pre-FSD beta) I was using AP with Nav on AP enabled. I was on the on-ramp from one highway to the next and came up to a 'Stop' sign.... on the ramp. No idea why the stop sign was there, but the car dropped into manual driving.

My assumption is that this can occur with FSD when it encounters a situation that it cannot handle. When this happened to you, did the car drop out off FSD?
Yup. Thanks for your feedback
The most common place is when going straight along the same boring suburban traffic on a well marked 4 lane street. Maybe there’s a signal drop there…. Hadn’t thought of that before.

I pass a dozen Teslas in this route (on Baseline/16th in Upland, California IE) so I keep posting hoping another Beta user is in this same path

There is a certain way to hold the steering wheel which provides a counter balance with enough weight-resistance on the steering wheel in order for the car to determine that your hand is actually holding onto the steering wheel. Sometimes if you grip the steering wheel with both hands (esp on stretches of straightaways), the evenly-distributed weight from both of your hands offset each other, causing the system to effectively sense "no weight", thus resulting in a nag warning being issued.

Since you've only had your tesla for a couple of months, you may need to experiment a bit more with the steering wheel to provide enough weight/torque to pass the nag-test. Some have found success by holding the bottom left (or right) of the steering wheel with one hand and letting their arm rest/hang a bit to provide enough resistance to pass the nag test

There is a certain way to hold the steering wheel which provides a counter balance with enough weight-resistance on the steering wheel in order for the car to determine that your hand is actually holding onto the steering wheel. Sometimes if you grip the steering wheel with both hands (esp on stretches of straightaways), the evenly-distributed weight from both of your hands offset each other, causing the system to effectively sense "no weight", thus resulting in a nag warning being issued.

Since you've only had your tesla for a couple of months, you may need to experiment a bit more with the steering wheel to provide enough weight/torque to pass the nag-test. Some have found success by holding the bottom left (or right) of the steering wheel with one hand and letting their arm rest/hang a bit to provide enough resistance to pass the nag test

I don't think the red wheel of death is caused by improperly torquing the wheel. It sounds more like the system getting confused with the current situation and turns itself off. This behavior has been part of AP since forever. I personally have not seen it on FSD beta, but I probably haven't driven through a spot where it gets that confused. This type of disengagement doesn't count against you in terms of being safe.

This is not an accurate description of how the system works. The motor does not measure whether weight is balanced or not; rather, it detects a resisting counter-torque to the car's own attempts to turn the wheel (or hold it straight). In other words, if, during the car's frequent small steering-wheel adjustments, it finds that the torque required exceeds some threshold value, it presumes that hands on the wheel must be what is causing that.

You could hold the wheel extremely rigidly in place without applying any weight to either side (like forcing your knee against the wheel, which doesn't apply torque itself, but resists turning by friction) and it would still detect your presence during its attempts to make tiny adjustments. Weight differences between the hands is only one way to provide a counter-torque.