Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just happened again 2 blocks from home! Before I even got to the other failed area and I know I had torque on a curved road.

i also moved the car to comfort steering for FSD - maybe that’s it. Pulled over, restarted the car computer, and am moving to standard steering.

Thanks folks for the hints. I appreciate it because I love my new car and love FSD and don’t want to lose being a part of its development!

Reactions: jebinc
I think there’s a problem with the driver sensors. I have received multiple red wheel of death alerts while driving with both hands on the wheel making small movements to prove I’m there, and looking forward at the road. I’m alone in the car and phone is in the charging dock, darkscreened. I’ve taken snapshots each time and even sent an FSDbeta email because I cannot figure out why the screaming “Take control immediately” alert. Most often it happens driving to work and I’ve wondered if it’s because I’m facing the sun and it doesn’t “see” me well in the car; an AI facial recognition problem?
Another way to let the car know you’re being attentive is to just jog one of the scroll wheels. I find it easier than applying force to the steering wheel. I don’t yet have FSD Beta yet (waiting at 98) but this method works with Autopilot. I assume it would work the same way with FSD Beta.

I don't think the red wheel of death is caused by improperly torquing the wheel. It sounds more like the system getting confused with the current situation and turns itself off. This behavior has been part of AP since forever. I personally have not seen it on FSD beta, but I probably haven't driven through a spot where it gets that confused. This type of disengagement doesn't count against you in terms of being safe.
This. A couple of times FSD just aborts when it doesn't know what to do and presents the take control immediately warning. At least that was my assumption at the time.

@coreylista @aronth5 @MP3Mike @Phlier - I think there’s a problem with the driver sensors. I have received multiple red wheel of death alerts while driving with both hands on the wheel making small movements to prove I’m there, and looking forward at the road. I’m alone in the car and phone is in the charging dock, darkscreened. I’ve taken snapshots each time and even sent an FSDbeta email because I cannot figure out why the screaming “Take control immediately” alert. Most often it happens driving to work and I’ve wondered if it’s because I’m facing the sun and it doesn’t “see” me well in the car; an AI facial recognition problem?

What’s the blue tint/overlay? I haven’t seen it. Not sure if I missed it or didn’t receive it. I’m in MSLR refresh and before in AP, the tickler was a this white glow above the car avatar behind the steering wheel. I haven’t seen that since FSD.
If it’s happening when you have the sun glaring directly at you, there’s a very good chance that’s the cause. I’ve had my AP throw the hands at me sometimes when I’m driving at certain parts of the day when the sun is hitting my windshield directly forcing me to either put on sunglasses or squint around the sun visor. It hasn’t been a big deal for me since it doesn’t happen often and my hands are always on the wheel so it’s easy to take over.

but you have to admit their look extremely competent in their incompetence!

database corruption for opting out doesn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy. How is that more than 1 bit to trigger different stuff all along the way? OK nobody does bits anymore. They probably use a full byte or even a 'Y'/'N' in unicode.
Not sure how credible "database corruption for opting out" is. The actual problem may have been more process / data handling related than actual DB corruption.

Not sure how credible "database corruption for opting out" is. The actual problem may have been more process / data handling related than actual DB corruption.
I'd like to think that they forgot to add the column is_opt_out in the safety_score_suckers_fsd_beta table. now they have no idea who not to send it to and they're digging thru the billions of emails sent to fsdbeta to see who opted out.

Actually I think you can get it while paying attention. They need some noise / chime to go along with the visual warning. I've never been kicked out but have missed the initial warning because I'm paying attention to the road and not staring at the screen. The blue tint/overlay that comes up has so far caught my attention but I can see a forced disengage happening when it should not
If it does happen I would recommend the 2 button reset!

Reactions: Oil Freedom
but you have to admit their look extremely competent in their incompetence!

database corruption for opting out doesn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy. How is that more than 1 bit to trigger different stuff all along the way? OK nobody does bits anymore. They probably use a full byte or even a 'Y'/'N' in unicode.
So should we assume you have detail knowledge of the issue? Otherwise commenting is rather pointless don't you think?

@coreylista @aronth5 @MP3Mike @Phlier - I think there’s a problem with the driver sensors. I have received multiple red wheel of death alerts while driving with both hands on the wheel making small movements to prove I’m there, and looking forward at the road. I’m alone in the car and phone is in the charging dock, darkscreened. I’ve taken snapshots each time and even sent an FSDbeta email because I cannot figure out why the screaming “Take control immediately” alert. Most often it happens driving to work and I’ve wondered if it’s because I’m facing the sun and it doesn’t “see” me well in the car; an AI facial recognition problem?

What’s the blue tint/overlay? I haven’t seen it. Not sure if I missed it or didn’t receive it. I’m in MSLR refresh and before in AP, the tickler was a this white glow above the car avatar behind the steering wheel. I haven’t seen that since FSD.
A few days ago, I got the screaming “Take control immediately” alert. It was on the freeway, and it was FSD Beta crapping itself, not driver inattention. Remember that this happens when the car doesn't know what to do. When it happens to me, it's most commonly at/in intersections.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I also got AP jail the other day. Was using AP on the freeway, and used the accelerator to help me quickly pass someone driving slow, and I forgot that the FSD beta build limits you to 80, so as soon as the speed tipped over 80, boom, blaring sound, red hands on wheel, and AP jail. D’oh 🤦‍♂️
Yeah the 80mph limit on FSD beta-enabled AP is a bit of a joke, especially when you consider you can engage it on city streets WAY over the speed limit - very ironic.

I also got AP jail the other day. Was using AP on the freeway, and used the accelerator to help me quickly pass someone driving slow, and I forgot that the FSD beta build limits you to 80, so as soon as the speed tipped over 80, boom, blaring sound, red hands on wheel, and AP jail. D’oh 🤦‍♂️
Similar for me! FSD Beta wasn't playing nice with traffic trying to merge into freeway, and I had to get out of the way. Ooops! Hope the new version handles merges better.

It seems to take the first possible right. Has happened to me a couple of times I've forgotten to put in the destination.

BTW, since I don't commute kids' school is my "work". So, in the morning the car by default takes me to kids' school.
Interesting. I forgot to set a destination at some point in the last week or two and the planner was going to cross a divided highway at an unprotected intersection as opposed to turning right. It also tends to plan on turning left out of the parking lot at my work location in spite of the fact that there's really no good reason to go that way unless your destination is in the middle of nowhere. While I seldom run the FSD beta without a destination entered, my impression has been that it only turns at T intersections and at 4-way intersections where going straight would lead to a dead-end. I wonder if it could be different per model.

Its a bit disconcerting that almost every release had to have new builds because of issues. They need better automated tests.
I'm not worried by this and see it as a good sign that they're closely monitoring real-world results and reacting as quickly as possible.

Tesla does loads of automated testing before releasing the software (including beta versions), but there's nothing as weird, unique, or unpredictable as the real world. That's always going to be the ultimate test.

Yeah the 80mph limit on FSD beta-enabled AP is a bit of a joke, especially when you consider you can engage it on city streets WAY over the speed limit - very ironic.
Was a little rough when I went up north recently because the speed limit on the expressway for a good portion is 75 so I was just sitting in the slow lane doing 80 getting passed by everyone. But I guess I always have the option of manually driving so I'll take it for now but I hope as time goes on they change it.

Its a bit disconcerting that almost every release had to have new builds because of issues. They need better automated tests.

So beta testers are "automated"?

Personally, they can make as many corrections as they need to get it right before pushing out a new update. If anything, it shows the system is working.

Keep in mind, this isn't some obscure iOS bug that fixes an abnormality that affects a few hundred users in Monaco. This is ground breaking tech that's never been done before.