Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey

I have an intersection that curves a little bit right before the light. FSD used to handle without a problem. Now, the navigation points ahead while telling me to keep left. Then FSD pulls in to the left hand turning lane and when the light turns proceeds straight and does not make a left. That's progress I guess.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Tesla.

I'm sure if I suddenly found myself in your neck of the woods I'd make a few mistakes trying to navigate myself around Boston. I have heard its not exactly the most straight forwards of places to drive.

I'm not a native New Englander (originally from Atlanta), but I have learned their ways. We love to honk at the newbies that don't know the roads already.

Anybody know why FSD Beta wants to do this? (Changing lanes to stay out of rightmost lane)

View attachment 760305

This has happened several times on this highway with 2 lanes in each direction and a center turn lane, and more often than not, it decides to do so when someone is trying to pass on the left. Like in this picture, usually there's nobody ahead, so it's not switching because it sees slow traffic ahead.
it feels like with 10.8.1 its doing this much more than it used to.
Previously it was just before approaching traffic lights that didn't have a dedicated right lane, in which case it was doing what I would do.
Most recently I can't detect a reason.
Last time it did it we were driving along in the right lane about 2 miles from needing to turn left, FSD moves us over into the left lane.
Then 1/4 mile from the upcoming left turn it takes us back into the right lane then waiting to about 150 yards from the junction to make a really uncomfortable fast lane change to get over the left lane into the dedicated left turn lane.
10.6 and 10.7 did this much better.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I'm not a native New Englander (originally from Atlanta), but I have learned their ways. We love to honk at the newbies that don't know the roads already.
I think a lot of people have forgotten how difficult humans find it to navigate in unfamiliar places. It used to be quite common to see people lost on the roads in pre-GPS days. Infact even now you can mostly figure out newcomers on roads that are twisty - they always go slower than locals (and rude locals honk).

I think a lot of people have forgotten how difficult humans find it to navigate in unfamiliar places. It used to be quite common to see people lost on the roads in pre-GPS days. Infact even now you can mostly figure out newcomers on roads that are twisty - they always go slower than locals (and rude locals honk).
Your comment brings back fond memories of long road trips with my family using AAA Trip Ticket that had maps on each page with local information on the back side which my mom would read out loud for everyone. Of course this was long before the Internet when times were simpler. Back then I don't recall anyone honking at us though since getting lost using paper maps was fairly common.

Any word on when 11.0 is coming?

Your comment brings back fond memories of long road trips with my family using AAA Trip Ticket that had maps on each page with local information on the back side which my mom would read out loud for everyone. Of course this was long before the Internet when times were simpler. Back then I don't recall anyone honking at us though since getting lost using paper maps was fairly common.

I got around Atlanta using this gigantic map book. There were codes on the edges of each page to tell you which page connects with the current page's map. Over 400 pages and 3lb+ in weight.

Later when I moved to New England, I would print out Mapquest directions.

JulienW, this is an edge case. That is a very poorly designed intersection. A ten year old (or anybody) could have reasonably expected that lane to be the proper path and done the same wrong thing. FSD is in Beta! We are finding edge cases, period. There is nothing "wrong" with this process. Obviously, there is something to learn here, that is the whole point. We are a long way from release, and may never get there. Expectations of performance are irrelevant at this point...only attentiveness.
This is not an edge case and has for the most part worked in all past Beta's. However it has (I believe) a 100% failure rate on 10.9. Here it is today going "head on" into a car in the lane. Of course I didn't let it go super far top the last second since unlike some of the YouTubers I just can't.o_O I'm sure it would stop before hitting the car but why is it veering left into the wrong direction lane and heading for it no matter what?

Did also have a general good drive through Midtown this morning. Of course traffic was lower.

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
This is not an edge case and has for the most part worked in all past Beta's. However it has (I believe) a 100% failure rate on 10.9. Here it is today going "head on" into a car in the lane. Of course I didn't let it go super far top the last second since unlike some of the YouTubers I just can't.o_O I'm sure it would stop before hitting the car but why is it veering left into the wrong direction lane and heading for it no matter what?

Did also have a general good drive through Midtown this morning. Of course traffic was lower.

Can you get a friend to be the "head on" car and just let FSD see what it does? I'm curious. Also to represent what is actually happening.

(Obviously with no one else around and stop safely if necessary)

I wonder whether there is a mapping problem too.

This is what I think ...
- The map shows 2 right lanes
- Car tries to take the left of those 2 right lanes
- It doesn't give high probability to hitting that standing car that far out

So, its a combination of perception / planning errors.

Had a pretty good drive with 10.8.1 last night, only 5 or 6 disengagements over an 8 mile drive which is pretty good for my area.
Three of them were pretty spectacular.
First was where the road was quite wide and narrowed to regular side, the road markings to warn of the narrowing were the white hatched pattern ghost island. FSD decided the best route would be to drive on the ghost island instead of the clearly marked road.
Second was even weirder. Returning down the same road where #1 happened, FSD decided that the bike lane looked like the best route.
Last one was taking a right turn off a 40mph road onto a 25mph side road. FSD slowed down slightly to 37mph, made the largest swing to left I've ever seen it do, it crossed the centerline to do it then it tried to take the corner at 37mph. That took some creative braking and control to keep it from sliding into the corner.
It was doing so well for the rest of the drive, almost confidence inspiring, but those three wakeup calls made sure that feeling didn't linger :D

In my experience, FSD v10.9 is much better with this issue.
Not for me ... esp. in one particular turn, which has a special right turn fork. FSD comes in too fast to take that fork and then tries to take the turn at the intersection and crosses yellow line. Its a busy intersection, so I can't let it try it out to see what happens - so I disengage if it is not slowing down.

ps : This has been happening to me since 10.8 and continues in 10.9.

Where is the 10.10 .... or will Tesla not release it and wait for 11 to be ready for release ?

May be they won't release a 10.10 if 11 is close, if not, package a few ready parts of 11 to a 10.10 ...

Yeah, I don't know, but I'm really looking forward to whatever the next release is because 10.9 is pretty terrible for me. It seems like we're due for an update by the end of this week.

I haven't kept up with every single post, so I don't know if others have seen the same thing, but I get the panicky "TAKE CONTROL IMMEDIATELY" warning with the red wheel all the time now. There's no rhyme or reason to it that I can figure out. I also frequently get things like "Auto-lane change currently unavailable."

The actual FSD experience (when it's working) is pretty much the same, with it feeling like there are some improvements and some regressions. I definitely seem to experience more of the swinging wide on right turns in these last few versions. Also, left turns seem tighter. For example, there is one left turn from a stop sign in my neighborhood that it's always cutting very close now. It used to leave plenty of room on the driver's side, but now it feels like the tires are going to hit the cement curb of the center divide every time. Fortunately, it hasn't yet!

I haven't kept up with every single post, so I don't know if others have seen the same thing, but I get the panicky "TAKE CONTROL IMMEDIATELY" warning with the red wheel all the time now. There's no rhyme or reason to it that I can figure out. I also frequently get things like "Auto-lane change currently unavailable."
Doesn't sound right.

Try cleaning in front of the cameras or recalibration.