Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a lengthy spell of cold weather we just had an extremely warm couple of days and the nasty potholes are everywhere particularly on secondary roads. It's to the point I have to disable FSD on some local roads. Hopefully Tesla can address this in the future but it's a particularly difficult problem to solve especially at night when visibility is limited.

After a lengthy spell of cold weather we just had an extremely warm couple of days and the nasty potholes are everywhere particularly on secondary roads. It's to the point I have to disable FSD on some local roads. Hopefully Tesla can address this in the future but it's a particularly difficult problem to solve especially at night when visibility is limited.

I think they have a long way to go before working on this issue. But it’s the type of thing a map of metadata would be useful for. Eg it could learn that I (and possibly) others drivers take control and drive in a specific spot at some location over & over. In my case it’s a poorly set manhole conver on my road which is effectively a pothole.

Then it could handle these things before it’s visible even. I watch for it everytime because I know it’s coming. The car someday needs to know it’s coming up too.

Feels like pothole detection will be difficult to build in properly, I'd wonder how easily the system would be able to detect a filled-in pothole with asphalt of a different/fresher shade from an actual hole in the road

I'm on the same version and just approaching a signal my car started to pull left into oncoming traffic. This has happened twice in the same area and like you sent the reports.
10.9 does this to me almost daily. When in a particularly long queue or stopped for a while, it does it over and over again. I always send a snapshot, and if I'm feeling extra patient, I'll keep re-engaging so it will try again and I can capture additional snapshots. I used to send emails too, but when I'm not on the latest version, that seems kind of pointless

10.9 does this to me almost daily. When in a particularly long queue or stopped for a while, it does it over and over again. I always send a snapshot, and if I'm feeling extra patient, I'll keep re-engaging so it will try again and I can capture additional snapshots. I used to send emails too, but when I'm not on the latest version, that seems kind of pointless
Hmmm … on my car, it tries once to overtake - but if I cancel the lane change once, it won’t retry. I don’t disengage, normally.

You know what kills me? FSD-beta, that's what! Happens at least twice a week. I keep getting reincarnated as a Tesla owner with FSD-beta. What's up with that! The GODs must be crazy...........
you might be a bit too excitable lol. Gotta start accepting the test pilot mentality. Thats what we're here for. And thats the Beta stage we're in. 😅

You need voxels.

How far they can be detected with what accuracy would be an open question.
I don't know what voxels are, but I don't know why pothole or other road disturbance would be complex to integrate. I think the pieces to the puzzle are: accurate GPS, real time suspension compression measurement, high res optics view of the path. With the increasing density of Teslas on the road, the NN could process suspension compression anomalies vis-a-vis GPS and video processing to send out micro navigation rules / instructions in order to avoid problem spots. The NN would have to have a process to update problem spots via video review from the fleet and possibly use the fleet to retest spots when they appear to have been addressed by DPW, etc.

I don't know what voxels are, but I don't know why pothole or other road disturbance would be complex to integrate. I think the pieces to the puzzle are: accurate GPS, real time suspension compression measurement, high res optics view of the path. With the increasing density of Teslas on the road, the NN could process suspension compression anomalies vis-a-vis GPS and video processing to send out micro navigation rules / instructions in order to avoid problem spots. The NN would have to have a process to update problem spots via video review from the fleet and possibly use the fleet to retest spots when they appear to have been addressed by DPW, etc.
I see what you are saying. Potholes would almost need HD-Maps, the way you are describing it.

I was purely talking about ability to detect potholes in realtime. At some point, Tesla may be able to do it.

Voxels are in 3D, just like pixels are in 2D.

• Helpful
Reactions: impastu
You’d think it would be simple to evade bollards, not try driving down tram tracks, or not catch air by hurtling over railroad crossings at ludicrous speed, but here we are. What you’re describing sounds great but detached from what we can expect out of the technology in the foreseeable reality.

I imagine that pothole detection today would drive up false positives big time

• Funny
Reactions: Sporty and impastu
You’d think it would be simple to evade bollards, not try driving down tram tracks, or not catch air by hurtling over railroad crossings at ludicrous speed, but here we are. What you’re describing sounds great but detached from what we can expect out of the technology in the foreseeable reality.

I imagine that pothole detection today would drive up false positives big time
Not detached, perhaps. I prefer to think of it as a long row to hoe. Any it's a never-ending row.

Not detached, perhaps. I prefer to think of it as a long row to hoe. Any it's a never-ending row.
Potholes on the secondary roads I travel on don't require you to slow down just to steer to one side or the other. There are times even when I drive that what I think is a pothole has been filled in or is small enough not to be a real concern. In this case a false positive wouldn't be much of a concern. The logic for FSD that would need to be considered is when steering around the pothole means you have to cross the center line.

Mercedes has had the tech for years
We are not talking about the same thing. Mercedes doesn't detect potholes and driver around the pothole to avoid it.

Once you hit the hothole it sends the information to "cloud".

The newest generations of the C-Class and S-Class, as well as the new EQS electric hatch, feature a suspension control unit that can register a pothole or bump and then send this information to Mercedes' cloud via the mobile phone network, so that it can be forwarded to other vehicles connected to the cloud. The control unit only sends information once a certain threshold is met.