Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove short distance this morning on v11.4.4 my first impressions. The roads were wet with light rain car settings chill, chill, intermittent warning for degradations due to rain. The car made the left turn out of the driveway, at the end of the road where there is an intersection at an oblique angle it made the stop at the stop sign and did a well executed merge into moving traffic. Lane selection was correct throughout the trip. Four way stop made with two other vehicles', one left and right, we were there first the car did not hesitate and made a left turn. Stopped on street beside destination, no disengagement's one or two uses of accelerator. Return trip the same except of a problem with (recurring problem) getting in line at a dedicated left turn lane (when there is a long line of vehicles, ego wants to go to the front of the line). One edge case, at a traffic light, the light was green and I needed to make a left (UP) there was a car coming from the opposite direction that was close to the intersection but moving slowly and hesitating, I saw this and would have gone ahead with the left turn, to my surprise the car did as well and did what I would have done, made the turn in front of the oncoming car. (+1)
My first impression is positive. I am still necessary for a safe drive but ego is getting better.

Installed 11.4.4 myself this morning. Kind of shocked given how few people were installed or pending at the time. Even 12 hours later it’s still hardly going out. Have to pushing all these various beta versions to contrast them behind the scenes.

I’ve got a couple long drives tomorrow so I’ll see how this works out.

I’ve had a lot of GPS issues since 11.3.x and have continued through 11.4.3. Even yesterday I got a beta warning that gps was not available and could be limited. This is in areas I drive constantly.

Reactions: jebinc
Installed 11.4.4 myself this morning. Kind of shocked given how few people were installed or pending at the time. Even 12 hours later it’s still hardly going out. Have to pushing all these various beta versions to contrast them behind the scenes.

I’ve had a lot of GPS issues since 11.3.x and have continued through 11.4.3. Even yesterday I got a beta warning that gps was not available and could be limited. This is in areas I drive constantly.
Make sure you create a bug report when you get the warning and open a service ticket and reference the report.

11.4.4 seems to have issues, so I expect yet another release soon. Won’t be installing 11.4.4.

11.4.4 seems to have issues, so I expect yet another release soon. Won’t be installing 11.4.4.
Do the updates including 11.4.3 or 11.4.4 include the UI scroll wheel actions and changing font size?

I don't use FSDb so don't care about whether a version is better or worse than 11.4.2 which is what I have now. But the only UI change I saw when we updated from 11.3.6 was the little grey lines on the seat heater icon. So when I'm offered an update to join the majority (Teslafi indicates 52% of the vehicles in my cohort they are tracking have 4.3 or 4.4), I don't know whether I should take the time to update or just wait for something better than 11.4.4. I don't have wifi at home so updates are time intensive.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Do the updates including 11.4.3 or 11.4.4 include the UI scroll wheel actions and changing font size?

I don't use FSDb so don't care about whether a version is better or worse than 11.4.2 which is what I have now. But the only UI change I saw when we updated from 11.3.6 was the little grey lines on the seat heater icon. So when I'm offered an update to join the majority (Teslafi indicates 52% of the vehicles in my cohort they are tracking have 4.3 or 4.4), I don't know whether I should take the time to update or just wait for something better than 11.4.4. I don't have wifi at home so updates are time intensive.
No, that was in 2023.12.x. FSDj testers never get the latest features that non FSDj owners get - at its worst, we were six months behind.... Is it worth it, that is the question....

For anyone able to tolerate the O'Dowd/Gerber livestream FSD test it's about to start. If nothing else it might be entertaining.

Who will finally claim the title of FSD Liar Liar Pants on Fire. :)

I should add: Probably by no coincidence they will be testing the latest FSD software release (v11.4.4).

Last edited:
For anyone able to tolerate the O'Dowd/Gerber livestream FSD test it's about to start. If nothing else it might be entertaining.

Who will finally claim the title of FSD Liar Liar Pants on Fire. :)

I should add: Probably by no coincidence they will be testing the latest FSD software release (v11.4.4).

Do we know who's vehicle they are going to be using? Dan's or Ross'?

How did it go?

Didn't get to watch it myself, but from the commentary online it sounds like it was relatively uneventful. I was honestly expecting O'Dowd to have an assistant throw a mannequin in front of Ross' car at some point.

One disengagement which people on Twitter seem to be blowing out of proportion, and the way Ross puts it, it sounds like the Tesla wasn't even at fault:

How did it go?
The portion with Ross driving was fine. After that they had AIAddict, I think, drive through a setup with road closed signs and a school bus with the stop sign out. FSD went past both every time without stopping. (I don't think they said what version AIAddict's car had on it.)

They have more shenanigans planned for tomorrow.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
The audio/video streaming was poor quality so it was difficult to watch. Sounds like the area has bad cell service. Ross said they will upload the high res video later. Ross' route was relatively simple scenarios but there was still one near-miss disengagement at an intersection. Ross wasn't so cocky after that.

The AI Addict streaming was equally poor. They did the same loop over and over with a bus stop-sign displayed and 2 roadside road closed signs which were all consistent fails as expected. I would guess AI Addict's car wasn't 11.4.4 but the results would likely be the same as 11.4.3.

Reactions: unk45
Drove a little today and am having the same issues I had on the previous v11, that is, going into designated right turn lanes even when they are not part of the route and using the turn signal for no good reason. I think the most frustrating part of using FSD is the inconsistency of behaviors.
I watched part of the debate between O'Dowd and Gerber. It is impossible to defend some of the behaviors of FSD, inability to read signs, not stopping for school busses, not slowing for school zones and a long list of other things we all are aware of. I think that the only way to have a fair and honest discussion about FSDb is to first rename it to something that does not make a promise that it does not keep. Call it "Tesla Autopilot one beta" so people are not expecting a L4 or 5 experience. Instead of posting percentages of improvements in the release notes spell out exactly what the autopilot will and will not do and when it will do what it is programed to do. There is currently to much confusion about the capabilities of this system, it needs to be made clear what you will get for your money, calling it Full Self Driving is not what you will currently get and that is what Mr. Gerber is, I think, correctly stating.

Drove a little today and am having the same issues I had on the previous v11, that is, going into designated right turn lanes even when they are not part of the route and using the turn signal for no good reason. I think the most frustrating part of using FSD is the inconsistency of behaviors.
I watched part of the debate between O'Dowd and Gerber. It is impossible to defend some of the behaviors of FSD, inability to read signs, not stopping for school busses, not slowing for school zones and a long list of other things we all are aware of. I think that the only way to have a fair and honest discussion about FSDb is to first rename it to something that does not make a promise that it does not keep. Call it "Tesla Autopilot one beta" so people are not expecting a L4 or 5 experience. Instead of posting percentages of improvements in the release notes spell out exactly what the autopilot will and will not do and when it will do what it is programed to do. There is currently to much confusion about the capabilities of this system, it needs to be made clear what you will get for your money, calling it Full Self Driving is not what you will currently get and that is what Mr. Gerber is, I think, correctly stating.
It's Beta and testers know that stopping for school buses, slowing for school zones, and a list of other things aren't things it is capable, yet. Putting those things in the test is the polar opposite of what Whole Mars does when he hand picks drives he knows the car can handle easily. The truth is in the middle.

Tesla hasn't advertised that it's anything beyond L2 currently, but they continuously promise "it's coming".

Whether it ever actually becomes Full Self Driving is a valid question, but these are known limitations and the reason for the wheel nag/camera watching to ensure that drivers pay attention and disengage.

Hell, even UPLs ae a crapshoot at this point.

Yowza! There was more to Ross' drive than reported. Two disengagements. One for driving too close to a backing up trash truck and the other for that near miss after attempting to run a stop sign. They happened within 40 secs and while Ross was jaw boning about how the first disengagement was no big deal. The near miss was fugly.

• Disagree
Reactions: willow_hiller
It's Beta and testers know that stopping for school buses, slowing for school zones, and a list of other things aren't things it is capable, yet. Putting those things in the test is the polar opposite of what Whole Mars does when he hand picks drives he knows the car can handle easily. The truth is in the middle.

Tesla hasn't advertised that it's anything beyond L2 currently, but they continuously promise "it's coming".

Whether it ever actually becomes Full Self Driving is a valid question, but these are known limitations and the reason for the wheel nag/camera watching to ensure that drivers pay attention and disengage.

Hell, even UPLs ae a crapshoot at this point.
I agree, the point I was trying to make is that many people don't understand what "we" the testers do, that is that FSD Is not FSD. It made the conversation between O'Dowd and Gerber very difficult to understand.

I got 11.4.4 two days ago, and I don't really notice much difference from 11.4.3. It still has a few quirks that 11.4.3 has. I haven't noticed any regression, so far keeping it enabled on my car.

So my trip to and from work can take 2 ways depending on traffic. So far the most interventions I've had to do is 2, often it's just 1. I don't count cancelling lane changes an intervention. This includes the times I've been using 11.4.3. The routes cover a mix of highway driving, merging, roundabouts, left and right hand turns, double-turn lanes, HOV lanes, non-highway roads in a medium density city, construction, and some unmarked roadways. Tested it out on clear days, into the sun, cloudy days, and even heavy rain (which it warned me about).

Hoever, on one left hand turn on one of my routes back home, FSD 11.4.3 and 11.4.4 still seem to cuts into the other turn lane a bit too close (ie. the road that I'm turning left onto). It's probably a learned behaviour from bad drivers.

Another qurik that still exists is the late merging into traffic. The FSD seems follow traffic of the lane that's ending then tried to merge when it gets close to, or at the end of the merge lane. Normally you'd try to merge into traffic at the first opportinity.

On the highway FSD lane changes are much better, and it looks for faster traffic, and will tend to try to get out of the left lane. However, the HOV lanes that EV's can drive in are on the left. At the entry and exit points of the HOV lanes, traffic tends to open up a bit, and FSD falsely thinks traffic is faster in the right lane and will try to get out of the HOV lane. But, if you look further into traffic you can see that the HOV lane is booting along, but the regular lanes have slowed down, so it would make sense to stay in the HOV lane.

Double-turn lanes at a highway offramp also have a quirk. When turning right, FSD seems to favour the outer turning lane. I usually don't like that because often that's a right and left hand turn lane. So if I'm turning right, I tend not to pick that lane since there may be a car turning left that will block me until the light turns green. I usually have to intervene to move to the inner turning lane because the signal is already on, so I can't tell the car to change to the right lane.

One thing I wish is that when you intervene and take over from FSD that it would also disable cruise control. A few times I've interveined but then I'm taken by surprise when the car surges forward since the cruise control was still on.

Other than that, no "oh no" moments.

FSD 11.4.3 and 11.4.4 seem good enough, I'm getting confident enough to add a bit of accelleration when turns or lange changes are going a bit slow for my liking.

PS: has anyone tried FSD without anything dialed up in the navigation? Where does the car go?

--
S.Lam

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: old pilot
I got 11.4.4 two days ago, and I don't really notice much difference from 11.4.3. It still has a few quirks that 11.4.3 has. I haven't noticed any regression, so far keeping it enabled on my car.

So my trip to and from work can take 2 ways depending on traffic. So far the most interventions I've had to do is 2, often it's just 1. I don't count cancelling lane changes an intervention. This includes the times I've been using 11.4.3. The routes cover a mix of highway driving, merging, roundabouts, left and right hand turns, double-turn lanes, HOV lanes, non-highway roads in a medium density city, construction, and some unmarked roadways. Tested it out on clear days, into the sun, cloudy days, and even heavy rain (which it warned me about).

Hoever, on one left hand turn on one of my routes back home, FSD 11.4.3 and 11.4.4 still seem to cuts into the other turn lane a bit too close (ie. the road that I'm turning left onto). It's probably a learned behaviour from bad drivers.

Another qurik that still exists is the late merging into traffic. The FSD seems follow traffic of the lane that's ending then tried to merge when it gets close to, or at the end of the merge lane. Normally you'd try to merge into traffic at the first opportinity.

On the highway FSD lane changes are much better, and it looks for faster traffic, and will tend to try to get out of the left lane. However, the HOV lanes that EV's can drive in are on the left. At the entry and exit points of the HOV lanes, traffic tends to open up a bit, and FSD falsely thinks traffic is faster in the right lane and will try to get out of the HOV lane. But, if you look further into traffic you can see that the HOV lane is booting along, but the regular lanes have slowed down, so it would make sense to stay in the HOV lane.

Double-turn lanes at a highway offramp also have a quirk. When turning right, FSD seems to favour the outer turning lane. I usually don't like that because often that's a right and left hand turn lane. So if I'm turning right, I tend not to pick that lane since there may be a car turning left that will block me until the light turns green. I usually have to intervene to move to the inner turning lane because the signal is already on, so I can't tell the car to change to the right lane.

One thing I wish is that when you intervene and take over from FSD that it would also disable cruise control. A few times I've interveined but then I'm taken by surprise when the car surges forward since the cruise control was still on.

Other than that, no "oh no" moments.

FSD 11.4.3 and 11.4.4 seem good enough, I'm getting confident enough to add a bit of accelleration when turns or lange changes are going a bit slow for my liking.

PS: has anyone tried FSD without anything dialed up in the navigation? Where does the car go?

--
S.Lam
My experience is that it continues straight ahead on the roadway it started on. I don't know how it decides which way to go when it reaches a T in the roadway.

Last edited by a moderator: