Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wiper sensitivity higher/lower voice command
Thanks, but I was not talking about adjusting the wiper sensitivity in auto mode - although if that actually is available, it would be a good addition too - but I was referring to a need for greater intermittent manual adjustability.

Re my own speculation about Tesla having done a recent software update to improve the wipers' accuracy in auto mode, it seems that this is just what they did. See below. So maybe the improvement is not just my imagination.

Tesla 2021.4.15.5 software update adds input from all cameras to help improve rain-sensing wiper performance

Maybe that change will help the Tesla auto wiper functionality go from zero to hero. I look forward to further testing it out. Even it the new improved auto function is golden, however, I would still want more granular, and easier, manual adjustability.

Last edited:
Reactions: TBrownTX
Thanks, but I was not talking about adjusting the wiper sensitivity in auto mode - although if that actually is available, it would be a good addition too - but I was referring to a need for greater intermittent manual adjustability.

Re my own speculation about Tesla having done a recent software update to improve the wipers' accuracy in auto mode, it seems that this is just what they did. See below. So maybe the improvement is not just my imagination.

Tesla 2021.4.15.5 software update adds input from all cameras to help improve rain-sensing wiper performance

Maybe that change will help the Tesla auto wiper functionality go from zero to hero. I look forward to further testing it out. Even it the new improved auto function is golden, however, I would still want more granular, and easier, manual adjustability.
No I don't think so. Tried auto again for a bit this past weekend. Speed went to 3 for a light drizzle. No thank you.

Reactions: Stach
Is this a valid voice command? I’ll have to give it a try.
I did finally give it a try, and the answer is "yes" but also, more to the point, "no".

"Yes" my Model 3 does respond to the "Wiper sensitivity higher [or "lower"]" voice command, but "no" this command does not adjust the sensitivity of the auto wipe function - which is what we all wanted - but only uses voice to turn the manual wiper control up or down a notch. I.e., it is the equivalent to the "increase [or "decrease"] wiper speed" voice command. So it adds nothing. Sigh.

I have to say that my experience with Auto Wipers hasn't been that horrible thus far. I spent this last week in Western KY and had a few days of rain. In my experience the Auto Wipers worked as expected 90% of the time. I did find it handles the slow, spitting rain poorly, but I find that one a difficult one for myself as well, since the rain doesn't seem to come down in a definable pattern in that situation.

There a were a few times the wipers came on later than I would've turned them on, but it wasn't so much later that I was concerned.

Just my two cents on it.

Last edited:
I have to say that my experience with Auto Wipers hasn't been that horrible thus far. I spent this last week in Western KY and had a few days of rain. In my experience the Auto Wipers worked as expected 90% of the time. I did find it handles the slow, spitting rain poorly, but I find that one a difficult one for myself as well, since the rain doesn't seem to come down in a definable pattern in that situation.

There a were a few times the wipers came on later than I would've turned them on, but it wasn't so much later that I was concerned.

Just my two cents on it.
Nice car. :)

Reactions: Wildcat84
I just got my model 3 delivery yesterday and found the wipers are not working well. When I switch it to auto, it may start wiping even though there is no rain at all. It can also start to wipe very often when I am using autolipot, and I can't switch it to off. Anyone has similar problem?

Reactions: BayAreaCelt
I'm doing that too...for now. It's really starting to annoy me though. Wipers just turn on to level 3 all of a sudden while the sun is shining bright.
When I leave them on auto, they will ALWAYS trigger in the exact same spot (+/- 50 feet) on one of the freeways I drive daily as part of my commute. Does this even on a perfectly cloudless day.