Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1 for useless auto wipers. My 15 year-old Land Rover LR3’s auto wipers work perfectly, I don’t remember ever actually having overridden the auto setting in 10 years of ownership, they always just do exactly what is required. My M3P wipers seem to go like the clappers for 10 minutes after a light spray from a puddle but turn themselves off when I’m overtaking a semi at 70mph in a torrential storm.

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
Absolutely agree that Tesla's automatic wipers are terrible--and dangerous, especially here in the Pacific Northwest. Is this forum monitored by Tesla engineers? Such a seemingly easily fixable problem prevents me (and others) from enthusiastically promoting the car. And the earlier proposed solution to move to Southern California ignores the fact that you would then need a setting to wipe off ash from wildfire smoke.

Reactions: father_of_6
For those, like me, who don’t understand acronyms like “NN”, here are decent definitions. Tesla terms and abbreviations. That said, my M3 auto wipers usually need a “kick start” by my pressing once on the left stalk button. Then they work well. i didn’t enjoy the “People’s Republic if California“ remark above. If you can‘t be civil, then don’t post.

In my experience, all the automation works flawlessly. Wipers, lights, everything. All of those depend on the front camera. Perhaps some aren’t keeping them as clean as needed or there is some other issue?

Doesn't this just highlight the problem then? The wipers are dependent on a clean windshield? This constitutes a significant safety hazard. It's not okay to lose your wiper functionality after driving on the thruway for an hour because bugs have splattered on a certain part of the windshield and blocked your cameras.

Perfect manual wipers... 3.... 2... 1... GO. As quickly as the Model 3 is, pretty please.

I *still* would like this improvement to the manual wipers. Why can't we have good auto AND good manual wipers? Even if the auto wipers worked flawlessly, if your camera breaks after warranty, you'll still need manual wipers. Good manual wipers are a necessity.
This!! Obviously some people find the auto wipers work perfectly for them. That might be hardware based or maybe just the weather conditions that you find yourself in most often, or maybe even having a clean enough camera. In hindsight, maybe the thread title should have been "Suggested Manual Wiper Fix". Regardless of the Auto wiper functionality (or lack thereof), the manual wiper interface through the screen or voice commands is sorely lacking. Every car that every one of us has driven before our Teslas had a way to quickly and safely turn on the wipers (to a high speed if necessary) from the steering wheel stalks. I think the "stalk press/scroll wheel" combo would get us back to that baseline safe functionality, auto-wipers aside.

I find the automatic wipers very effective and helpful. They improved about 6 months after I got the M3. OTOH, a suggestion like the OP made could be very helpful. It is interesting there is such a disparity in experiences and views on this.

I thought I read that Tesla does not recommend RainX type products-is that the case, and why. I am pretty sure the Audi dealer for the A4 I previously leased said that also.