Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished my Endless EX90 pads, it has about 25% left and it really is unsafe at this point. I think I have a total of 8 track days on it, but I normally don't run more than 2-3 laps on it per session. They are rotor friendly and are fairly quiet (they will still make noise). They are a good beginner track pad, but I would not recommend it for people that have been to the track. I personally think it is more of a street pad than track pads.

I should add I am only getting this life from babying it (I never do more than 2 laps back to back).
What pads are you going to switch too?

I just got to tried the XR2 rear for one session and it offers a lot more bit than the Endless EX90. It is a much better pairing with the Endless N05U I have at the front. I am not sure how streetable the XR2 will be as they are new to me but they are great on the track. Endless EX90 (went through 3 sets on stock P caliper/rotors) were designed as more of a dual purpose pads that are quiet on the street and very easy to clean brake dust with very high temp capability but only medium bite. EX99 is supposed to be 10% more bite so it should help with people looking for a little more aggressive pads. N05U (not available on stock calipers) on the other hand is a true sprint pad and can easily lock up the wheels with 50% braking pressure on the best TW200 tires, I think XR2 is not far behind and that's why I went with it as my rear pads. The only question left for XR2 is noise after some miles on the street.

I just got to tried the XR2 rear for one session and it offers a lot more bit than the Endless EX90. It is a much better pairing with the Endless N05U I have at the front. I am not sure how streetable the XR2 will be as they are new to me but they are great on the track. Endless EX90 (went through 3 sets on stock P caliper/rotors) were designed as more of a dual purpose pads that are quiet on the street and very easy to clean brake dust with very high temp capability but only medium bite. EX99 is supposed to be 10% more bite so it should help with people looking for a little more aggressive pads. N05U (not available on stock calipers) on the other hand is a true sprint pad and can easily lock up the wheels with 50% braking pressure on the best TW200 tires, I think XR2 is not far behind and that's why I went with it as my rear pads. The only question left for XR2 is noise after some miles on the street.

Definitely interested In your update!

The zr2 is going to make noise, not carbotech bad but they will. No way around it
These are the pads. If anyone wants to try them let me know (ok for street not for track) else they go to the trash.

Attachments

• 92EE4100-E129-4F47-8CAB-73D01AEDDB17.jpeg
    92EE4100-E129-4F47-8CAB-73D01AEDDB17.jpeg
    766.6 KB · Views: 86
There are at least 4 of us (M3Ps) in the UK using Carbotech XP10s for track and road use and no-one has had any squealing issues when braking. We do all use hold mode.

Maybe that's an issue with RP2 compound, but it isn't with XP10 I can assure you.

I run XP20 front and XP12 rear (on the MPP BBK). After bedding in (no track day yet on them), they developed a mild whistle when braking. I have no problem running them like this on the street. As already mentioned on this thread, with hold mode, I rarely use the brake in the city, and even when I do, the sound is low enough that it does not attract attention from pedestrians.

I'll consider swapping them with street pads for winter.

I run XP20 front and XP12 rear (on the MPP BBK). After bedding in (no track day yet on them), they developed a mild whistle when braking. I have no problem running them like this on the street. As already mentioned on this thread, with hold mode, I rarely use the brake in the city, and even when I do, the sound is low enough that it does not attract attention from pedestrians.

I'll consider swapping them with street pads for winter.
I've now got a front BBK with AP 9660 calipers and I'm running PFC 011 pads in those. Haven't done enough trackdays since lockdown to really work them hard but on the street they are great and I've had no squeal at all so far.

Per curiosità qualcuno ha usato le pinze originali in pista + pattini con buoni risultati (parlo di stint completi di 20 minuti)? Ovviamente nella conformazione originale non sono utilizzabili, ma il disco e la pinza non sono male (parlo di Performance), mi chiedevo se usando tubi freno racing e pastiglie racing il risultato fosse sufficiente.

Per curiosità abbiamo ovviamente scelto un sistema racing completo nel campionato che partirà nel 2021.

Per curiosità qualcuno ha usato le pinze originali in pista + pattini con buoni risultati (parlo di stint completi di 20 minuti)? Ovviamente nella conformazione originale non sono utilizzabili, ma il disco e la pinza non sono male (parlo di Performance), mi chiedevo se usando tubi freno racing e pastiglie racing il risultato fosse sufficiente.

Per curiosità abbiamo ovviamente scelto un sistema racing completo nel campionato che partirà nel 2021.
Are you the E-STC series?

Are you the E-STC series?
Yes, I am part of it!

Sorry, I realized that I had the google translator activated and it "translated" my previous post into Italian before sending, I rewrite it:

"Out of curiosity, has anyone used the original calipers on the track + track pads with good results (I'm talking about full 20 minutes stints)? Obviously in the original conformation they are not usable, but the disc and the caliper are not bad (I'm talking about Performance), I was wondering if using racing brake lines and racing pads the result was enough.

Just out of curiosity, we have obviously chosen a complete racing system in the championship that will start in 2021."

Yes, I am part of it!

Sorry, I realized that I had the google translator activated and it "translated" my previous post into Italian before sending, I rewrite it:

"Out of curiosity, has anyone used the original calipers on the track + track pads with good results (I'm talking about full 20 minutes stints)? Obviously in the original conformation they are not usable, but the disc and the caliper are not bad (I'm talking about Performance), I was wondering if using racing brake lines and racing pads the result was enough.

Just out of curiosity, we have obviously chosen a complete racing system in the championship that will start in 2021."
From your website it appears Unplugged Performance are involved, so surely they would have all the answers you need?
In terms of brakes, it very much depends on the type of circuit you will run on, how many laps, the tyres you use and other factors. But the bottom line is if you are using the stock rotors they will get very hot and they don't cool down quickly, so you have to manage that heat somehow.

Reactions: Mash
From your website it appears Unplugged Performance are involved, so surely they would have all the answers you need?
In terms of brakes, it very much depends on the type of circuit you will run on, how many laps, the tyres you use and other factors. But the bottom line is if you are using the stock rotors they will get very hot and they don't cool down quickly, so you have to manage that heat somehow.
Of course, as you know Unplugged uses dedicated braking systems, it was my curiosity if it was possible to achieve a satisfactory result only with brake lines and racing pads, perhaps for those who in the future will only be on the track to do "track days".