Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the last question... is there a difference between 14-50R and 14-50? I think from that amazon picture the Hubbell says 14-50R on it... that will fit the 14-50 cord Tesla sells, right?
the 14-50 is the plug, 14-50R is the receptacle or outlet, all the 14-50 outlets will be marked with an R
Well, that's incomplete. If you just see "14-50" without any context, you still really don't know; don't assume that's a plug. That is why a lot of places selling parts name it with a P or an R to tell whether it is the plug or the receptacle.

Can anyone tell me what the issue would be with buying the Leviton? My cousin is an electrician and i am having him come over to install my 14-50 and he just went on homedepot.com and picked out the 4 things i would need to install the outlet. One of them was, of course, this
Leviton
50 Amp Flush Mount Shallow Single Outlet, Black

Is this going to present an issue when charging my M3? I had never ran across this issue until now. thanks for the help!

Can anyone tell me what the issue would be with buying the Leviton? My cousin is an electrician and i am having him come over to install my 14-50 and he just went on homedepot.com and picked out the 4 things i would need to install the outlet. One of them was, of course, this
Leviton
50 Amp Flush Mount Shallow Single Outlet, Black

Is this going to present an issue when charging my M3? I had never ran across this issue until now. thanks for the help!

As others have pointed out, this outlet struggles to cope with the high amperage required. Lot's of failures reported. I would not install a Leviton. Go with Cooper/Hubble for peace of mind.

I used a Leviton and it worked well for 8 months. as soon as I started charging from 60 miles range left, (20%) my UMC start flashing the error code "Charging current is reduced due to high temperature detected in the wall plug" I felt the plug and it was very hot along with the steel electrical box. Unplugged the UMC and the Leviton outlet had turned white. Ordered a Bryant from Zoro and the problem has gone away. May have had this going on for some time but never noticed cause I start charging at 11:00 pm and its normally done before I unplug in the morning. If you have a Leviton outlet I would change it. There are not made or rated for high amp continuous duty.

Hello. New to TMC and to Tesla World. I am planning to purchase a Model X (extended range version) by next May (when I have to turn my leased Honda Clarity fuel cell car back in). (Yes, I know about the loss of the Federal rebate in 2020. Unfortunate.)

During house siding replacement earlier this year I used the opportunity to run (6/3 w/ground) Romex wire to a NEMA 14-50 exterior outlet near my parking spot.

Unfortunately (inevitably?), I used a Leviton receptacle. Fortunately, it has remained unused and is easily replaced.

So I am now taking steps to replace it with a Hubbel or Bryant receptacle. THANK YOU TMC contributors to this Thread!

From exterior wall outlet to car I plan to use a Tesla "corded mobile connector" (Tesla P/N 1106293-00-A) cable (and not the newer Gen 2 mobile connector cable with 14-50 adapter, and not a Tesla [or other] wall connector--for various reasons).

Three questions:
  1. Initially, I had installed a nice Bell, single-gang, weatherproof metal plate+cover assembly over the Leviton receptacle (as required by housing code for exterior outlets). However, though still single-gang, the Hubbel, Bryant, and Cooper receptacles appear to be significantly larger in diameter (2.48" vs. 2.15", I think), so the hole in the Bell cover plate won't fit (and can't be modified).

So far I am not readily seeing a replacement cover plate. Can anyone recommend a weatherproof cover plate that fits the larger Hubbell, Bryant, or Cooper receptacles?

2. I am still pondering what size of circuit breaker to use with the 6/3 house wire + NEMA 14-50 receptacle + Tesla corded mobile connector + Model X internal charger setup. I am thinking 50 amps--it's a 50-amp-rated receptacle, the maximum Tesla cable current is 40 amps, and the Model X will charge at up to 48 amps, I believe--so am I interpreting the situation properly? Is a 50 amp circuit breaker appropriate? Safety trumps charging rate.

3. I know that it is not Gen 2, but the older design corded mobile connector cable--which comes with a hard-wired NEMA 14-50 plug at one end--will still fit into current (2019-20) Model X cars, right? They haven't changed the charging socket pattern on the new cars, I hope. (I plan to use this older style cable since since the newer Gen 2 mobile connector cable with 14-50 adapter will handle up to 32 amps, I believe.)
Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I have to say that I would NOT use the corded mobile connector in this case. It costs as much as a wall connector, is much less versatile, and it is not weatherproof. You have to replace the outlet anyway, so use that box as a junction box, hard wire the wall connector and skip worrying about buying another receptacle or making it fit.

Since you used Romex, the 6ga wire is only good for 50a. So use a 50a breaker and set the wall connector to charge at 40a.

I have to say that I would NOT use the corded mobile connector in this case. It costs as much as a wall connector, is much less versatile, and it is not weatherproof. You have to replace the outlet anyway, so use that box as a junction box, hard wire the wall connector and skip worrying about buying another receptacle or making it fit.

I'd just like to +1 these comments. Tesla's Wall Connector carries a NEMA 3R weather rating, which means that it should protect the interior electronics in the vast majority of weather conditions in the areas that people live on Earth. (Some third-party EVSEs carry NEMA 4 ratings, which is even better -- it'll protect against things like power washers -- but probably not worth the hassle and cost of using a J1772 adapter to charge a Tesla.) The Mobile Connector carries no such rating. Although I've seen reports of people who've used Mobile Connectors outdoors for months or years without problems, I've also seen reports of Mobile Connectors failing under such conditions. These are all anecdotal reports, so I don't know how common the failures are.

If you must use a Mobile Connector outdoors for an extended period, I strongly recommend putting it in a NEMA 3R or NEMA 4 enclosure. I have no recommendations for specific products, since I've never researched them, but they certainly do exist.

Reactions: Rocky_H
From exterior wall outlet to car I plan to use a Tesla "corded mobile connector" (Tesla P/N 1106293-00-A) cable
(and not the newer Gen 2 mobile connector cable with 14-50 adapter,
and not a Tesla [or other] wall connector--for various reasons).
Unless you plan to use the mobile connector which is included with your car,
as previously mentioned, I would recommend using a wall charger, if it is for long time outside use.

The plug is the weakest point, and good quality are expensive, plus you need a waterproof box.
With the Tesla wall charger, you could do load sharing with another wall charger, something to consider for the future.

Hello. New to TMC and to Tesla World.
I am planning to purchase a Model X (extended range version) by next May
(when I have to turn my leased Honda Clarity fuel cell car back in).
(Yes, I know about the loss of the Federal rebate in 2020. Unfortunate.)
Hi welcome! Could you make a review, may be in an other thread, of your Clarity experience and reasons for getting an EV instead.
I suppose H2 fuel cost versus charging at home, and making road trips must be an issue.

Hello. New to TMC and to Tesla World. I am planning to purchase a Model X (extended range version) by next May (when I have to turn my leased Honda Clarity fuel cell car back in). (Yes, I know about the loss of the Federal rebate in 2020. Unfortunate.)

During house siding replacement earlier this year I used the opportunity to run (6/3 w/ground) Romex wire to a NEMA 14-50 exterior outlet near my parking spot.

Unfortunately (inevitably?), I used a Leviton receptacle. Fortunately, it has remained unused and is easily replaced.

So I am now taking steps to replace it with a Hubbel or Bryant receptacle. THANK YOU TMC contributors to this Thread!

From exterior wall outlet to car I plan to use a Tesla "corded mobile connector" (Tesla P/N 1106293-00-A) cable (and not the newer Gen 2 mobile connector cable with 14-50 adapter, and not a Tesla [or other] wall connector--for various reasons).

Three questions:
  1. Initially, I had installed a nice Bell, single-gang, weatherproof metal plate+cover assembly over the Leviton receptacle (as required by housing code for exterior outlets). However, though still single-gang, the Hubbel, Bryant, and Cooper receptacles appear to be significantly larger in diameter (2.48" vs. 2.15", I think), so the hole in the Bell cover plate won't fit (and can't be modified).

So far I am not readily seeing a replacement cover plate. Can anyone recommend a weatherproof cover plate that fits the larger Hubbell, Bryant, or Cooper receptacles?

2. I am still pondering what size of circuit breaker to use with the 6/3 house wire + NEMA 14-50 receptacle + Tesla corded mobile connector + Model X internal charger setup. I am thinking 50 amps--it's a 50-amp-rated receptacle, the maximum Tesla cable current is 40 amps, and the Model X will charge at up to 48 amps, I believe--so am I interpreting the situation properly? Is a 50 amp circuit breaker appropriate? Safety trumps charging rate.

3. I know that it is not Gen 2, but the older design corded mobile connector cable--which comes with a hard-wired NEMA 14-50 plug at one end--will still fit into current (2019-20) Model X cars, right? They haven't changed the charging socket pattern on the new cars, I hope. (I plan to use this older style cable since since the newer Gen 2 mobile connector cable with 14-50 adapter will handle up to 32 amps, I believe.)
Thanks.

I am not sure about the cover plate. I had a hard enough time sourcing a non-weatherproof one. I am not sure what I would do for a weatherproof enclosure.

Note that 2017 NEC requires a gfci breaker on all EV charging receptacles. (your local codes might vary)

A 50a breaker is the correct size on a 14-50 with 6 awg copper wire. The car will charge at 40 amps.

Yes, the older CMC will fit into the newer cars and work just fine. There is only one variant of the Tesla connector and it works on all their cars (well, after the first gen roadster).

So that should answer your questions, but I will concur with other posters here that the Wall Connector is probably a better idea for you and likely actually less expensive than the CMC overall (you don’t need a gfci breaker with the Wall Connector which saves like $100).

Reactions: Rocky_H
I am not sure about the cover plate. I had a hard enough time sourcing a non-weatherproof one. I am not sure what I would do for a weatherproof enclosure.

Note that 2017 NEC requires a gfci breaker on all EV charging receptacles. (your local codes might vary)

A 50a breaker is the correct size on a 14-50 with 6 awg copper wire. The car will charge at 40 amps.

Yes, the older CMC will fit into the newer cars and work just fine. There is only one variant of the Tesla connector and it works on all their cars (well, after the first gen roadster).

So that should answer your questions, but I will concur with other posters here that the Wall Connector is probably a better idea for you and likely actually less expensive than the CMC overall (you don’t need a gfci breaker with the Wall Connector which saves like $100).
And you will not need a high quality outlet like a Bryant or Hubbell so there is another $40 to $100 in savings, additionally, you may be able to get some sort of rebate from your power company depending on your location, I received $250 from Edison back in April of 2018 for my install.

Three questions:

Thanks.

Btw, I wrote this up a while back:

How Should I Charge My Tesla? – Article625.com

Tesla Mobile Connector Gen 2 vs Wall Connector – Article625.com

Both may be interesting reading for you. (though it sounds like you already know what you want!)

Btw, I wrote this up a while back:

How Should I Charge My Tesla? – Article625.com

Tesla Mobile Connector Gen 2 vs Wall Connector – Article625.com

Both may be interesting reading for you. (though it sounds like you already know what you want!)

Thank you.

I started researching the current (2019) state of Tesla road cars just recently (I had previously poked around a little back in 2015-16), and I am blown away by the excellent information provided by owners on various forums. Unfortunately there is a LOT of information out there (not all of it as helpful), but increasingly, when I "google" * a question, there is a thoughtful, well-researched answer by a Tesla aficionado somewhere online.

Before I discovered some of these sources, which would have more quickly answered my initial questions, I started a spreadsheet of the Tesla charging options (see screenshot below). Doing so helps me make sense of issues with multiple options. However, what I've created is just draft--incomplete and not fully accurate. I'll continue to absorb info from more experienced people, like yourself.

Although I don't like the wait (I'm contractually obligated to use the Honda for 3 full years), or losing the Federal credit, having a planned purchase point of around April 2020 gives me time to learn. My first lessen: properly buying a Tesla is not like it is for other cars. But the process should be an enjoyable distraction from the likely turmoil of 2020.
_______
* Increasingly, I use DuckDuckGo — Privacy, simplified. for online searching. This Swiss firm alledgedly does not track its users.

Snapshot of Tesla Charging Options Spreadsheet.jpg

Reactions: eprosenx
Thank you.

I started researching the current (2019) state of Tesla road cars just recently (I had previously poked around a little back in 2015-16), and I am blown away by the excellent information provided by owners on various forums. Unfortunately there is a LOT of information out there (not all of it as helpful), but increasingly, when I "google" * a question, there is a thoughtful, well-researched answer by a Tesla aficionado somewhere online.

Before I discovered some of these sources, which would have more quickly answered my initial questions, I started a spreadsheet of the Tesla charging options (see screenshot below). Doing so helps me make sense of issues with multiple options. However, what I've created is just draft--incomplete and not fully accurate. I'll continue to absorb info from more experienced people, like yourself.

Although I don't like the wait (I'm contractually obligated to use the Honda for 3 full years), or losing the Federal credit, having a planned purchase point of around April 2020 gives me time to learn. My first lessen: properly buying a Tesla is not like it is for other cars. But the process should be an enjoyable distraction from the likely turmoil of 2020.
_______
* Increasingly, I use DuckDuckGo — Privacy, simplified. for online searching. This Swiss firm alledgedly does not track its users.

View attachment 476226

Nice spreadsheet!

Note that the 14-50 should be documented as 9.6kW (rounded to 10kW in your spreadsheet I think) since for EV charging it is limited to 40 amps. (80% of 50 amps, or rather 125% of 40 amps is 50a which is what the receptacle is limited to)

Note that the 14-50 should be documented as 9.6kW (rounded to 10kW in your spreadsheet I think) since for EV charging it is limited to 40 amps. (80% of 50 amps, or rather 125% of 40 amps is 50a which is what the receptacle is limited to)

Right; thank you. This whole electrical-current/power/charging rate thing can be more than a little confusing. I still have questions. Time for a new spreadsheet.

Last edited:
Comparing...[Leviton, Cooper, Bryant, and Hubbell]...outlets
Can anyone recommend a weatherproof cover plate that fits the larger Hubbell, Bryant, or Cooper receptacles?
I had a hard enough time sourcing a non-weatherproof one. I am not sure what I would do for a weatherproof enclosure.

Here's a (partial) list of traditional metal weatherproof covers that should fit NEMA 14-50 (and similar) circular receptacles. Prices can vary widely, so shop around. To find the best prices, use eBay, Amazon, and DuckDuckGo or Google search engines.
The seven weatherproof covers above should fit the smaller (2.1” diam.) 14-50 receptacles, like the Leviton.
The two covers above should fit the larger Hubble 9450a (2.4” diam.) 14-50 receptacle. The plastic Hubbell HBL7777A (2.44” diam. opening)
HBL7777A | Hubbell
may also work for some larger receptacles (possibly requiring minor opening enlargement). (Note that the similar HBL7777 is intended for older Hubbell porcelain receptacles only.)

Last edited:
Here's a (partial) list of traditional metal weatherproof covers that should fit NEMA 14-50 (and similar) circular receptacles. Prices can vary widely, so shop around. To find the best prices, use eBay, Amazon, and DuckDuckGo or Google search engines.
The seven weatherproof covers above should fit the smaller (2.1” diam.) 14-50 receptacles, like the Leviton.
The two covers above should fit the larger Hubble 9450a (2.4” diam.) 14-50 receptacle. The plastic Hubbell HBL7777A (2.44” diam. opening)
HBL7777A | Hubbell
may also work for some larger receptacles (possibly requiring minor opening enlargement). (Note that the similar HBL7777 is intended for older Hubbell porcelain receptacles only.)

Awesome list! Thanks for sharing!

FWIW, you really need an “in use” weatherproof cover for EV charging (not one that just keeps the receptacle dry when not in use).

I have yet to see one of those with the larger diameter receptacle cover.

Awesome list! Thanks for sharing!

FWIW, you really need an “in use” weatherproof cover for EV charging (not one that just keeps the receptacle dry when not in use).

I have yet to see one of those with the larger diameter receptacle cover.

Thank you.

The online TayMac catalog (TayMac) includes plastic and metal, in-use, 2-gang covers that will supposedly handle up to 2.625" in diameter using the correct insert. For example, TayMac 55-in-1 Model MX6200 with its biggest circular insert. However, I would worry about the durability of the plastic (I assume) inserts during repeated daily use (and also the cover size; see below).

My outlet is by my front door in a covered (from above) location (though open to the side). So it is protected but still an outdoor installation. I've also had (the dreaded) HOA trouble, so I wanted a cover as non-obtrusive as possible. (A Tesla Wall Connector or bigger cover would have set off alarm bells with stupid Association board members.)

Reactions: SMAlset
Here is a picture that shows the inside prongs of the Hubbell versus the cheap $10 one from Home Depot. There is a HUGE difference. Not only do the Home Depot brands have about 20% less surface contact area, there is very little pressure on the prongs that get inserted into it. Take a look at this picture - it shows both and the brand new Home Depot outlet looks like it's been used and abused for years compared to the one above that has 10% surface contact and you can see that there is no gap. Don't skimp on the outlet, it's not. worth it. My Home Depot one generated so much heat at 40A, it was crazy. The Hubbell one was noticeably cooler - because the connection is just that much better on the front, and for the wires in the back. You can even see some arcing on the Home Depot prongs just from using it a day or two and I just couldn't get over how hot it was getting.

81DE81D6-A971-4FB1-B571-1FF4F33B17E8.jpeg