TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MASTER THREAD: Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by T3M3T, Jan 9, 2020.

1. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Just dropped off at 8AM on Thursday, being told they wont even call me with status until Friday Afternoon and likely not ready until Saturday AM. Didn't get a loaner either, so not the best timing/what i was expecting.

Pro-tip: Don't schedule close to the weekend like me!

2. Ash23T

Ash23T Member

Taking a bit of a leap here with VIN 323XXX (just missing the cut off for HW3 at delivery last year), but hearing of so many getting the installs now is encouraging. I haven't gotten a yes or no from service since making the appointment Monday (San Diego, Miramar). Fingers crossed.

3. dave999z

dave999z Member

It really should go by the date the customer purchased FSD, rather than by VIN.

But obviously it’s just Tesla’s typical chaotic rollout.

• Like x 3
  4. McFlurri

McFlurri Active Member

Got my HW3 upgrade done today.

May 3rd 2018 birthdate.

Was given a Model X as a loaner.

only issue is now my car wont connect to my phone for text messaging. (I had to re-pair my phone after the upgrade)

5. McFlurri

McFlurri Active Member

i find a lot of people do this

6. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

IIRC there was a setting on both the car BT and phone BT to allow notifications you had to set- possibly one of these got reset with the repairing/HW swap?

7. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

How long did it take?

They wouldn't give me a loaner this AM (even at 8) and just told me the car won't be ready until Saturday PM which kinda sucks since I wanted to do stuff this weekend.

Seems weird that they can foresee firmware issues before they even happen when others have ~4 hour turnaround.

8. kengchang

kengchang Active Member

Which service center did you go to?

9. McFlurri

McFlurri Active Member

maybe 4 hours. but I also go them to replace my horn and look into a firmware issue with my front autopilot camera defrosters

10. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Centinela in Los Angeles, they are notorious for not being the best and i've heard Torrance is better.

11. m3fp

m3fp New Member

I was extremely lucky here in Vancouver, British Columbia. I went there yesterday for a slight cap expansion noise coming out of the vents when I start my car and the heat is working. They added FSD upgrade automatically. It didn't finish in few hours as they originally promised - I can see they were working until 6pm. However they arranged a rental car (X3) and today afternoon I picked up once all the upgrades are completed. Great service!

- Now I see cones - a lot of them.
    - Garage openers, spotify and all my preference was just the same as it was before.
    - Calibration is in progress.

Now just waiting for the latest software :)

12. tezzla

tezzla Member

Thursday night (2 1/2 days later) and they are still claiming firmware issues, hopefully I’ll get it back Friday.

• Disagree x 1
  13. nicholb

nicholb Member

Try deleting the pairing from your phone and set it up again. It is probably not prompting for the SMS access permissions.

14. Occar

Occar Member

Yup. It's super bizarre. Someone will post a string of flat out incorrect info or something nuts (like suggesting people defeat the hand detection for AP) and you disagree because it's an objectively bad post or set of posts, and they get upset and go through your recent post list disagreeing with everything (regardless of what it is). It's really kind of a dumb functionality. That said, I find it funny that the type of people who post those types of things are the same type who will do the weird thumbs down stalking.

• Funny x 1
  15. RB88

RB88 Member

Got my car back from Renton, WA. Dropped off Wednesday morning, ready for pick up Friday morning.

They managed to put a spring back in wrong causing the glovebox to creak and squeak when closing. However they also managed to deeply scuff the front of the glovebox. Luckily I read this thread before and checked it before I left. They ended up replacing the whole glovebox for free in about 15m at pickup.

Didn’t lose any settings at all. Calibration took about 5min of highway driving. Software is latest (2020.4.1). The satellite map visualisation wouldn’t work until I rebooted the computer though weirdly. Backup camera seems clearer.

cones and stuff woo.

16. rubyred

rubyred New Member

Just got my Jan 2019 build back from the upgrade. Painless, no settings lost. As some others have reported, the rear camera is quite a bit darker (tint seems different too). Also found a very small puddle of oily liquid on passenger side floor mat, which I'm assuming is coolant. Felt up under the glovebox and don't believe it's leaking, so hoping it was just a small spill from when the hardware was being installed.

17. beantownrich

beantownrich Member

I agree with your assessment on 2.5. On 3 It's been a lot smoother (shallower lane changes, less jerking, better at curves).

18. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

Yeah, unfortunately that is my observation too.
    Disagree/agree should be applicable to just that post.

19. dave999z

dave999z Member

My car is not seeing any wifi networks since the HW3 upgrade. Whereas my phone sees like ten different wifi networks around here. Anyone else have this problem?

• Funny x 1
  20. Tholland

Tholland Member

You also need a b nav update as the HW3 computer is behind after you get the retrofit. It will happen tho like the game update.