Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Model 3s on the Track / drag strip- Videos, Discussion, Setup, Etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Do these modules void the warranty?

If the service center found or detected it, probably yes, but Ingenext claims it’s not detectable, and it would probably only be found if you need to have your car’s computer replaced. Hopefully you would know that beforehand and could remove it before bringing it in for service.

Need some help from members with on-track experience!

Doing my first track event (HPDE) in my Tesla next weekend. I've done >20 track events in previous ICEVs, so I understand the prep and process.

Questions:
  1. "Track Mode" from my first laps, yes or no?
  2. How do I prevent the automatic parking brake from setting on super-hot rotors at the end of each session? Leave it in Drive and use wheel chocks, or...?
TIA!

Thanks.

And if it’s in “Tow Mode”, is it still prevented from rolling when in “Park”?
If you are asking if the car uses the motors to hold the car in place, it does not. In Tow Mode, I have pushed my car short distances by hand on my flat garage floor.

If the ground isn’t super flat where you’ll be parking to cool off, you’ll need to chock a tire.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV and bhzmark
If you are asking if the car uses the motors to hold the car in place, it does not. In Tow Mode, I have pushed my car short distances by hand on my flat garage floor.

If the ground isn’t super flat where you’ll be parking to cool off, you’ll need to chock a tire.
And that’s why I asked. Paddock isn’t super-flat, so I’ll need to get some chocks.

Thanks again.

I know this doesn’t necessarily correlate to fluid temp, but I was getting even my BBK rotors to turn blue after ~15 minute sessions in chill mode.

@MasterC17 has reported the stock system can work for a “leisurely day at the track” (and I admit I was probably driving faster than “leisurely”), but I’d use a lot of caution.

Of note, there is another sticky that admittedly has a lot of overlap but has lots more discussion on Model 3 setup for track use!

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV
Hey ya'all I have a question, Me and my wife have been drag racers for 20 plus years. we just three months ago bought a 2020 model three performance. we decided to take it to the local dragstrip to see what she has. We bought a generac 3300 I generator so we could charge the tesla between rounds. Our thought process was to try to keep the battery warm hoping for consistancy. we have put about roughly 10 laps down the strip and the 60 foot is really consistant. after that it goes faster every pass from 11.76 to a final 11.53. we have been running it in track mode turning the track mode on three pairs back from our turn to run. it was dropping 7 hun every pass. At the end of the day we quit using track mode and went to slip start and sport mode with the hold feature on. this ran better on the last two runs seeing 11.54 and 11.53. Not sure what we are missing. the only thing we haven't tried is prepping the battery like for a super charger, is that the answer ? this thing is a beast at mid 11's with 1.7 60 foot times lights are coming around we just need to figure out the dial a little closer. The last three runs we stopped charging it to see if it liked the battery down from full alittle bit. I think it just finally reached its peak from what i am reading. thanks for any help we want to do damage with this thing at the drag strip and are just trying to figure the dial out. Thanks Dave.

Another question (almost rhetorical, but I’d actually like to see some responses):
I don’t have time or resources to change the OEM brake fluid or pads for this event. How many laps (or corners) will I get at 7/8 out of 10 pace before fade/boiling?
I have been racing/ instructing / doing track days for almost 20 years and I just did my first day with my M3P at Lime Rock a few weeks ago. I took the car there completely stock to get a baseline. I have probably done 1000 laps at LR so I sort of know how it flows. Car was in track mode for each session and I must say I was quite impressed with how it did. The weak link was the stock Pirelli's which only lasted about 4-5 laps before they fell off, still drivable but I had to keep my speed in check to avoid cutting grass. The brakes did a lot better than I thought they would and I never felt like they were cooked, it was always the tires holding me back. The OEM pads had a lot of heat cracks but they did their job. Fastest time was a 104.1 which I was happy with but I can tell there is a lot of potential just waiting to be unleashed.
When I got home I started my upgrades (pads/ fluid/ FUCA from MPP / wheels and tires) and I am going back to LR in July to see how these changes have improved the car.
The car was fun in stock form so I am looking forward to what some small changes will do to it.

Reactions: MacO512 and Zcd1
I have been racing/ instructing / doing track days for almost 20 years and I just did my first day with my M3P at Lime Rock a few weeks ago. I took the car there completely stock to get a baseline. I have probably done 1000 laps at LR so I sort of know how it flows. Car was in track mode for each session and I must say I was quite impressed with how it did. The weak link was the stock Pirelli's which only lasted about 4-5 laps before they fell off, still drivable but I had to keep my speed in check to avoid cutting grass. The brakes did a lot better than I thought they would and I never felt like they were cooked, it was always the tires holding me back. The OEM pads had a lot of heat cracks but they did their job. Fastest time was a 104.1 which I was happy with but I can tell there is a lot of potential just waiting to be unleashed.
When I got home I started my upgrades (pads/ fluid/ FUCA from MPP / wheels and tires) and I am going back to LR in July to see how these changes have improved the car.
The car was fun in stock form so I am looking forward to what some small changes will do to it.

This is great information - thank you!

How tough would you say LR is on brakes? No issues with the fluid boiling?

Out of curiosity, where/when did you charge and how much battery did you use in each session?

Not the worst place for brakes. Hardest braking is at the end of the front straight, then right before the uphill. Braking before turn 1 would be from 130ish down to 60ish and I was just barely engaging ABS but I never felt a soft brake pedal during any of my track sessions. If I had just thrown sticky track tires on it then I would say the stock pad/fluid would not be up to the task but stock everything was fine. The tires were my limiting factor so driving at their limit the brakes were happy.
Lime Rock has I think 14 L2 charges on their property for anyone to use. 4 Porsche brand, 8 Tesla Gen 2 and 2 third party. I would use about 1/2 of my battery during a 20 minute session then plug in right after my session on track and about 2ish hours later I was ready to go again. I believe I was seeing 48A while charging.
The car was very happy at the track and it never gave me any warnings about temps for the battery / tire/ brakes or anything else. I could feel the power loss after about 10 laps but still plenty of power. Myself and a good friend who has a M2 were having a blast chasing each other all day.

Reactions: Zcd1
Not the worst place for brakes. Hardest braking is at the end of the front straight, then right before the uphill. Braking before turn 1 would be from 130ish down to 60ish and I was just barely engaging ABS but I never felt a soft brake pedal during any of my track sessions. If I had just thrown sticky track tires on it then I would say the stock pad/fluid would not be up to the task but stock everything was fine. The tires were my limiting factor so driving at their limit the brakes were happy.
Lime Rock has I think 14 L2 charges on their property for anyone to use. 4 Porsche brand, 8 Tesla Gen 2 and 2 third party. I would use about 1/2 of my battery during a 20 minute session then plug in right after my session on track and about 2ish hours later I was ready to go again. I believe I was seeing 48A while charging.
The car was very happy at the track and it never gave me any warnings about temps for the battery / tire/ brakes or anything else. I could feel the power loss after about 10 laps but still plenty of power. Myself and a good friend who has a M2 were having a blast chasing each other all day.

That's what I guessed based on the track configuration. (re: not that hard on brakes)

Good info re: charging. I'm going to a track with no on-site chargers, but which has RV hookups, so I plan to use my mobile connector with one of those. If all else fails, I can hit a Supercharger at lunchtime or between sessions - there's one about 25 minutes away from the track.

Based on my street driving, I had my doubts about the Pirellis on-track, so I'm not surprised to hear that they were a limiting factor. If this track weekend hastens their demise on my car, I won't be too disappointed... ;-) Then I could get the Pilot Sport 4S that I prefer!

I'm very interested to see how my lap times compare to the lowered, tuned, aftermarket-braked Audi S4 I last drove there. :cool:

Reactions: Arthur31
Quick update: track event went well, and the car did great, IMO.

I’ll post some pics and more thoughts later,

For now, I’m curious if anyone has a suggestion for remedying the extended brake pedal travel that I’m feeling now? Car still stops fine, but the pedal travels at least twice as far as it did before the event. What can be done to restore the firm pedal feel?

Reactions: Arthur31