Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Model 3s on the Track / drag strip- Videos, Discussion, Setup, Etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know what the current quarter mile record is for a stock Model 3 performance with stock wheels?

Yesterday I ran a 11.329 @ 119.8 in my 2021. SOC was 96%. I got to the track at 98% but, as I sat in tech for a while, I used conditioning for a nearby supercharger to get some heat in the battery which cost me 2%. Second run was slightly slower at 93%.

I also had a VBOX Sport running for redundancy. Average of .420G! 😂

FBAC46CD-AA8E-4F99-AE72-62698097ED1C.jpeg
1F5F236D-37FA-4B57-AF38-5D93B98C99C0.jpeg
35974354-3595-465C-8E74-4806D61C5299.jpeg
9536809E-B4AA-4887-82AB-FD675D93C00A.jpeg
2CC89396-57B3-4E05-8655-C0CDF9F05ACA.png

Last edited:
Unplugged Performance components continue to deliver wins!!! Despite a couple line mistakes, the car was composed enough to keep me from coning away the win. This package is WORKING!!! Thanks to Ben Schaffer Avi Fischer Moto Miwa for all the support!!!
As a bonus, Jacob Abrams took 2nd place in the same class:)
For fun, who can spot:
1.The two lines I straight up missed?
2. The "Flick" I've been working on.
SCCA SDR 10/2/2022 Win

Team Taisan, to the Japanese racing community, has been an undeniable and one of the most consistently winning privateer operation. Its famous Yokohama ADVAN livery has been a notorious and prominent color for Taisan since the mid-1980 and tradition haven’t stopped today. They have won 117 racing victories all over the world, campaigning everything in tons of categories, from 24 Hours of LeMans to grassroots and every series in between. The Japanese race fans, and those who follow JDM racing history, are all familiar with the 1995 Taisan-Kunimitsu Racing Honda NSX GT1 and GT2 that won their class at 24 Hours of LeMans. Or, the streaks of wins and fender-crumpling heated racing of 90’s Group-A Series Skyline GT-R (R32) with the notorious Drift King Keiichi Tsuchiya. There were countless races, and all were headed by the team founder and owner, Ricky Chiba of Taisan Industries.

Since 2010, there have been silently, an EV racing series in Japan, and most recently in the past few years, Unplugged Performance has been teaming with Taisan to campaign with the Tesla Model 3. Last year besting the field that included things like the Porsche Taycan too. And that car has won every race it entered in 2022.

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Vehicle Car Tire Hood Automotive tire

With the potential of the Model 3 being already strong, the Unplugged Performance team has dissected data and finessed together parts that are needed to give drivers the extra tactility and handling to not only pound down lap times, but also to allow them enough margins in the car to allow continual and consistent racing pace.
The majority of the parts equipped on the Taisan-UP Model 3 are shockingly enough, the same parts available in the online catalog for the public.
Yes, that is us, the regular owners.
In the USA and Europe too, there are many course records set for 4 doors, with the Model 3 using UP parts, and championship trophies won in many categories of racing and autocross.

From big brake kits, billet suspension arms, aero, shocks, and springs…

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Car

UP has the parts list covered for Sunday racers of the Model 3.

We will start to introduce some of the most recent parts offerings and dissect the most popular of parts in the coming months bit by bit, used in a gamut of racing operations touched by Unplugged and trusted by racers today to get on the podium.

Stay Tuned.:)(y)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Lindenwood
Double-posting for posterity in future searches:

Did a 2-Day Performance Driving School at Sandia Speedway in Albuquerque, NM! It is a relatively tight, 1.7-mile course with 14 turns. Top speeds were around 100-102mph on the front straight (~85-88mph in Chill Mode).

Initial Notes:
~1.5% per lap in Chill Mode
~4% per lap in Track Mode
~About 20% charge gained through the half-day plugging into a 14-50 outlet between sessions, even for 5 minutes at a time—worth it!

I initially started running in chill mode to conserve battery, but quickly realized how much the power was masking poor line management. Ultimately, my best time in Chill Mode was only 2 seconds slower than my best time in Track Mode. My instructors each did a few laps and described “Beast Mode” (anything outside of Chill Mode) as “chaotic.”
Car:
Tesla Model 3 Performance
April 2022 Build Date

MPP Front Upper Control Arms
MPP Rear Camber and Toe Arms
MPP Comfort Adjustable Coilovers (Full Stiff)
MPP Stainless Braided Brake Lines
MPP Master Cylinder Brace
MPP Compression Rod Bushing Inserts
UP Rear Anti-Sway Bar (set at full stiff)
Brembo 6-Piston Calipers
PowerStop Track Day Pads (F)
RacingBrake XT910 Pads (R)
Federal 595 RS-Pro Tires (275/35R19)

Camber: 3.2F, 2.5r
Toe: 1mm Toe in F, 1mm Toe Out R

Video:
-Short Timelapse
-Clip passing another student in a 370z
-Trying to keep up with one of the driving instructors in a Spec Miata while I was in Chill Mode (1:40.xx lap)
—-The instructor was letting me keep up. They normally run 1:36.xx as set up)
-Best solo run in Track Mode (1:38.xx lap, 50% battery)
-Goofing off on the skid pad
-A little whoopsie that happened early on the 2nd day from trying to be cute
Instructor comments after driving this car:
“[I did not want to like it this much…it doesn’t feel like a 4100lb vehicle…it is really set up well…one of the funnest cars I’ve driven on this track…]”

Note: I was surprised to only see a 2-sec difference between Chill Mode and Track Mode. The instructor put it best: “It is much more…chaotic…in ‘beast mode’ but not actually much faster on a tight track like this.”

I really want racing seats now. My arms are tired, but my left leg actually got the biggest workout trying to keep in stable!

47400B18-162D-4BE1-9AD7-6D75001F4F5B.jpeg

ACA7B546-EB3C-48DB-B26C-525A0A68B288.jpeg

Reactions: dfwatt and Rodney!
It's such a fantastic feeling to come to UP and still find my old friends and foes at the top of the game going at it.
It's been a while since I retired from National Championship stuff, but I'm loving to be vicariously supporting through Cusco and RSR, before, and now with Unplugged Performance! This is FANTASTIC!!

Reactions: lvl2EV
So elaborating on the previous thread about Advan Team Taisan Model 3 in Japan...
While it has been racing for 3 seasons, the car really is made up of parts that are not made of complete unobtanium.
The brakes on the car have been something widely available on the UP website and so are the suspension parts.

And yet, this brake system has been in the car for 3 seasons, and on only the 2nd set of pads too after 20 races in the Japan EV Racing Series under JEVRA.
The Carbon Ceramic brake system from UP... Yes, is the key to fade-free racing miles thus far.
And while it isn't really optimal to be on streets with racing pads, the Taisan Model 3 is street legal, and occasionally it just rolls right off the Fuji Speedway, and heads to dinner through countryside roads, and in the quaint town of Gotemba...
One of those feats that are only possible in an EV since Japan has very strict noise regulations in towns.

20221001_111324483_iOS (2).jpg

2018_11_25_Fuji_Speedway_LFA_TGRF-07044.jpg

Last edited:
This was my first time running with Corner Exit Autocross group. They are the outfit that UnPlugged Performance is partnering with for the upcoming Tesla Corsa Autocross series, and I think UP made a good choice. The event was well run with a great atmosphere. They have a casual classing system with just four classes: Street, SuperStreet, Prep and Mod. They also rank the results based on the combined time for all four timed runs, so it is more about being consistent than just getting one fast run. I also liked that they present the awards immediately after the timed runs and made a point of recognizing every single driver and highlighting the close races even when they were further down in the standings.

This was their first event at Apple Valley Speedway. I was the only EV to participate. I signed up for Prep class. The forecast called for rain in the afternoon, so I left my daily tires on for the event (220TW 255/40/19 SC3s). As I was checking in at the event, I was asked if I was sure I wanted to be in Prep, as that class is intended "for experienced drivers with well-sorted cars." I said I'd take my chances. Ended up 1st in Prep out of 15 and second overall to a well modified Porsche on Hoosiers in Mod class. It was close between the top four in prep class, there was less than a quarter-second per lap between me and second place, a BRZ on a sticker set of A052s with a driver that is clearly better than me. Without the Tesla advantage of a fairly long run from the standing start, he would likely have won. The instant torque of a Tesla from a standing start is a bit of a cheat mode, but I'll take it.

My SD card was corrupted, so the video is a bit glitchy, but I think it shows a bit of how fun this tight little drift track can be - especially with the PartyBox, it was a blast.

20221015_133143.jpg

Corner Exit.JPG

20221015_133117.jpg
2VP_0520.jpg
2VP_0573.JPG
2VP_0498.JPG
2VP_0917.JPG
DSC_2459.JPG
DSC_2442.JPG
DSC_2279.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks! -3.0 in front, -2.2 in back with MPP FUCA and Rear camber arms.
Nice! How was your toe setup?

I AutoX (and daily) at ~3.2 front and 2.5r camber, and 0 front toe and 1mm front toe-out, plus a UP rear sway bar at full-stiff. With this, I have a pretty neutral setup! I actually tan the same setup on a road course recently and my instructors who drove my car said it was very balanced, specifically indicated by the ease with which one could adjust turning radius with the throttle. This was also at 50/50 torque bias; with this setup, I also can easily adjust oversteer / understeer with said torque bias in Track Mode.

Got into the 54's!! Took first in class and 2nd overall at the SCCA event at BRP last weekend.

Current Build List:
  • MPP Super Sport Coilovers
  • MPP Front & Rear Swaybars
  • MPP LCA & Compression Rod Bearings
  • MPP Fuca, Ruca, Toe, Trailing, Traction, & Spring arms
  • MPP Party Box & Cooling Party
  • MPP Rear Oil Cooler
  • MPP Master Cylinder Brace
  • MPP Front & Rear two-piece Rotors
  • MPP Stainless Brake Lines
  • Endless x99 Brake Pads
  • Endless RF-650 Brake Fluid

Track Night in America event at Autoclub Speedway Infield course. It is well suited for the Tesla. Not much time between sessions so I didn't leave to supercharge. Started this final session at 47% battery, ended at 18%. Fastest lap of the day set with the battery under 30% as I was just learning the track. Well run event - Registration was smooth, sessions were on schedule, flaggers were attentive and Advanced group drivers were on point.

Track Night in America event at Autoclub Speedway Infield course. It is well suited for the Tesla. Not much time between sessions so I didn't leave to supercharge. Started this final session at 47% battery, ended at 18%. Fastest lap of the day set with the battery under 30% as I was just learning the track. Well run event - Registration was smooth, sessions were on schedule, flaggers were attentive and Advanced group drivers were on point.

What a great video!

Reactions: MoreAgain
I started taking my '22 M3P to the 1/8 mile and have been only beat twice out of 16 runs. My times range from 7.29 to 7.39 and I'm wondering if it's realistic to drop to 7.15 with the 18" Martian wheels.

You have some great times with a stock car. However, 7.15 for the 1/8 isn’t realistic without some serious weight reduction. 7.20 yes but you won’t shave off .14 seconds from wheels alone.

The wheels you got aren’t actually that light either. Looks like they are the same as the T Sportline rims I have. .08-.1 is about all you should expect if everything else is equal.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Anyone know what the current quarter mile record is for a stock Model 3 performance with stock wheels?

Yesterday I ran a 11.329 @ 119.8 in my 2021. SOC was 96%. I got to the track at 98% but, as I sat in tech for a while, I used conditioning for a nearby supercharger to get some heat in the battery which cost me 2%. Second run was slightly slower at 93%.

I also had a VBOX Sport running for redundancy. Average of .420G! 😂

View attachment 856888View attachment 856887View attachment 856889View attachment 856891View attachment 856890
That is pretty fast for stock. I haven't seen many if any stock 1/4 mile times like that. Great job! Take some weight out of that car and you will be flying.

Reactions: phantasms