Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Model 3s on the Track / drag strip- Videos, Discussion, Setup, Etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a pretty Epic day at the track a few weeks ago. I pulled about 155 lbs out of the car in seats, floor mats, and the Frunk. I think my first run set all of the records from 0-60 mph to the 1/4 mile on both Dragy and eventually on DragTimes once my slip gets posted. Car weighed 4,110 lbs with me in it and 3,920 lbs without me in it. Factory weight with me in it was 4,315 lbs.

I have T Sportline TS5 18x8.5 wheels and 235/35/18 Michelin PS4S tires. The tires were at 44 psi all around when I made the run. That typically gives me my maximum trap speed. Traction is never an issue right when the track opens. Track prep is great right at the start.

Temps were not ideal at 48 degrees F and -498 DA but the battery still got pretty hot and I had 458 KW max discharge rate.

I did FIFTY 11.3x or better runs this summer at that track. Charging at the track is the key to keeping this car consistently fast through each run.

CE9A0045-FE9E-4EAC-91DA-D63E184FB717.jpeg

Here is a video of some of my most interesting runs from the summer.

3C6D383C-54F8-48CB-BAC4-5514870126AF.png
C2D3083C-522C-4DFD-B23F-ACB7E7C09593.png
3666E95F-038C-4638-BC5B-C9A525032603.png
B0076B7F-B1AF-49B0-B867-AFC16B058113.jpeg
A738D4D2-A771-406A-8A58-5BB97E003649.jpeg
279ED9CB-35A3-4190-BCDF-54804C52F4F4.jpeg
16D4938E-0B54-42B0-B8A8-B07EEE16D05E.jpeg
2815C698-DA08-4857-96DB-BFE8C4850A5C.jpeg
4500FFA6-F3DB-429C-A5F9-B4CD5D0CB4BD.jpeg

Last edited:
Would it be possible to create a sticky thread for track videos to keep them all in one spot without cluttering up the discussion board? I often like to refer back to videos I've seen posted but have trouble finding them.

Either way - here's a video of my latest track day running with NASA SoCal at Big Willow. They let me run HPDE4 on Saturday to show that I could handle open passing sessions and then licensed me for Time Trial on Sunday in their new class (TTEV). It was a great event with some well-built cars and solid drivers. This session was the end of day Saturday. I started with 77% charge and stayed out until my battery was glowing red. It is such a fun track.

Thanks for sharing❤️. … Any Plaid’s times ? 🤔

Reactions: dfwatt
If you want good steering feel and responsiveness you are going to want a wider wheel. 10.5 is Ideal but the most common size you are going to find is 9.5. Do you have any sort of camber arms installed? a 275 is going to be severely under utilized without additional camber and you will have severe outside edge wear.
No camber arms yet. Other option for the RS4s is 235-35-19 but that would be like 3.5% smaller. Would that create any power train issues apart from the speedometer error ?

Unless I can go with 18” but not sure if wheels will clear the calipers. There are more sizes on the 18” like 265-40-18

127418DB-8749-4A1B-86A4-E70645022F2C.jpeg

Last edited:
Touge style autocross challenge on a short track. Lead car gets green flag, follow car has 5 seconds to get into position and then gets green flag to go. That 5 seconds goes quicker than expected, you have to get on it to not lose time. If you widen or close the gap by 2+ seconds you win outright. Otherwise you swap positions and run again and the best combined gap from both rounds determines the winner.

I qualified first with the fastest time of the day of all competitors: 51.2 seconds. I battled two orange Mustangs: the 4th place 2015 Ecoboost Mustang and then the 2nd place 2005 Mustang to win Prep Class.

Corner Exit will be running this event several more times this year. Highly recommended, a fun twist on autocross - without the cones!

Hi, does anyone know what a 2023 Model 3 RWD runs in the quarter? (time/mph)

I can't seem seem to find any credible source for this info or people with the current RWD M3 that have run and posted time slips. 0-60 is published at 5.8sec by Tesla, but some on facebook say it runs mid 15s. That seems wrong given how hard it comes out (w/o the benefit of dual motors.). Less than 6 to 60 is usually less than 14 to the qtr.

Touge style autocross challenge on a short track. Lead car gets green flag, follow car has 5 seconds to get into position and then gets green flag to go. That 5 seconds goes quicker than expected, you have to get on it to not lose time. If you widen or close the gap by 2+ seconds you win outright. Otherwise you swap positions and run again and the best combined gap from both rounds determines the winner.

I qualified first with the fastest time of the day of all competitors: 51.2 seconds. I battled two orange Mustangs: the 4th place 2015 Ecoboost Mustang and then the 2nd place 2005 Mustang to win Prep Class.

Corner Exit will be running this event several more times this year. Highly recommended, a fun twist on autocross - without the cones!

That sounds really fun. GridLife did something similar a few years back and it was a ton of fun. I think they called it Track Battle, but I can't remember. Super cool!!

Congrats on the win Morgan!!

Hi, does anyone know what a 2023 Model 3 RWD runs in the quarter? (time/mph)

I can't seem seem to find any credible source for this info or people with the current RWD M3 that have run and posted time slips. 0-60 is published at 5.8sec by Tesla, but some on facebook say it runs mid 15s. That seems wrong given how hard it comes out (w/o the benefit of dual motors.). Less than 6 to 60 is usually less than 14 to the qtr.

Can't find a credible 1/4 mile time, but I did find this Dragy 1/8 mile time of 9.46 s @ 80.0 mph in 54 F temperature. He also tests a 2021 SR+ in the same conditions and spot and it did 9.15 s @ 79.03 mph. What's interesting is that the SR+ was 0.42 seconds faster to 62 mph, but only 0.31 seconds faster and 1 mph slower at 1/8 mile on the same run, so the 2022 RWD was actually gaining on the SR+ at higher speed. Considering the SR+ could do the 1/4 mile in mid 13s in optimal conditions, I have a hard time believing the RWD would run mid 15s. I would guess the RWD could run at least mid or low 14s, and maybe even high 13s if everything was perfect.

Edit: According to Car and Driver, the Chevy Bolt can do the quarter mile in 15.2 seconds, even though it takes nearly a second longer to get to 60 than the Model 3 RWD (6.7 vs 5.8 s) and is governor limited to 93 mph (which it hits before 1/4 mile). I would say there's zero chance the Model 3 RWD takes over 15 seconds, unless you run it with the battery very cold or something.

Edit 2: It takes 5.63 seconds to go 1/8 mile at 80 mph, so even if the RWD in the video above completely stopped accelerating after 1/8 mile and just cruised the second 1/8 mile at 80 mph, it would still do the 1/4 mile in 9.46 + 5.63 = 15.09 seconds. That proves that it can't be mid 15s.

Last edited:
Can't find a credible 1/4 mile time, but I did find this Dragy 1/8 mile time of 9.46 s @ 80.0 mph in 54 F temperature. He also tests a 2021 SR+ in the same conditions and spot and it did 9.15 s @ 79.03 mph. What's interesting is that the SR+ was 0.42 seconds faster to 62 mph, but only 0.31 seconds faster and 1 mph slower at 1/8 mile on the same run, so the 2022 RWD was actually gaining on the SR+ at higher speed. Considering the SR+ could do the 1/4 mile in mid 13s in optimal conditions, I have a hard time believing the RWD would run mid 15s. I would guess the RWD could run at least mid or low 14s, and maybe even high 13s if everything was perfect.

Edit: According to Car and Driver, the Chevy Bolt can do the quarter mile in 15.2 seconds, even though it takes nearly a second longer to get to 60 than the Model 3 RWD (6.7 vs 5.8 s) and is governor limited to 93 mph (which it hits before 1/4 mile). I would say there's zero chance the Model 3 RWD takes over 15 seconds, unless you run it with the battery very cold or something.

Edit 2: It takes 5.63 seconds to go 1/8 mile at 80 mph, so even if the RWD in the video above completely stopped accelerating after 1/8 mile and just cruised the second 1/8 mile at 80 mph, it would still do the 1/4 mile in 9.46 + 5.63 = 15.09 seconds. That proves that it can't be mid 15s.
Excellent points and math! Thank you very much.

I have one on order. I will take it to the track in the spring and post the results.

Excellent points and math! Thank you very much.

I have one on order. I will take it to the track in the spring and post the results.

Ingenext is about to release a module that unlocks additional power for the RWD model with LFP battery too (assuming you get a 980 motor, which seems to be normal right now), which, according to an early tester, reduces the 0-60 from 5.8 to 5.0 seconds even at 3 C, so probably high 4s in warmer conditions.

Last edited:
I think this has been available for sometime through the track package, did you happen to get prices for those part numbers? I haven't tested these personally but I'm pretty sure you'd be much better served with an aftermarket Pad by a reputable company (Endless, Carbotech, Cobalt, UPP-PFC, there's a few others) If you're someone that only tracks occasionally I think the Endless pads are hard to beat for dual purpose.

I got the Zero-G wheels and wanted to follow through on the track package, so I got a price. $495 each for the front and rear. I pick them up Monday. I'll get some Cup2s and I'll be off the the track in May.