Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Model 3 got rear ended last weekend at ~75mph, likely a total loss, and the least fun roller coaster ride I've ever been on. Had FSD + lifetime premium connectivity :(

Really sad to hear about radar removal. Having to leave auto high beams on at night alone is a total dealbreaker. Probably will look elsewhere for now, and jump back in when the next revision of autopilot hardware comes out, sounds like cybertruck will be getting a new camera system? May have better night performance with better cameras.
So sorry to hear about your M3 :( Glad you are OK and hope everyone walked away unhurt.

You won't need to wait for the next gen hardware, just software 10. The beta that comes out on Friday (10.2) should be the integrated stack that is both the city and highway autopilot in one stack. This should include much improved highway abilities for the vision only cars. As Dojo comes online and more and more cars and software updates roll out I expect we will see steady improvements.

Your other option is to look for a used 2018-2020 M3 that matches the car you lost.

• Informative
Reactions: ord3r
I’m curious. How can a vision only Tesla actually work with FSD when multiple cameras are blocked or blinded. This is the case with my Model 3 every day. The cameras are not blinded or blocked when it is pitch black. I’m not sure as Elon said, that Lidar is a fool’s errand. Lucid’s Lidar is an interesting story.

I’m curious. How can a vision only Tesla actually work with FSD when multiple cameras are blocked or blinded. This is the case with my Model 3 every day. The cameras are not blinded or blocked when it is pitch black. I’m not sure as Elon said, that Lidar is a fool’s errand. Lucid’s Lidar is an interesting story.

We'll just have to wait a little bit longer because currently, there are no LIDAR-equipped cars sold to the general public yet. GM Super Cruise will but not until 2023.

Reactions: hcdavis3
The early Teslas had both cameras and radar, for different functions. The later ones only have cameras. Apparently these cameras will replace the functions of the early radar systems.

1) Which is better?
2) Will the images on the screen will now be real pictures as opposed to the simulated images on the current screens?

1) Which is better?
Depending on who you ask and the timeline.

Tesla believes Pure Vision is much better because humans have 2 eyes so the machine could be configured to surpass humans' ability.

Tesla thinks it's soon. The street would be flooded with a start of 1 million robotaxis with no human drivers by 2020 or 1 year ago already.

Currently, in the pure vision version release notes, the restrictions are 80 MPH (radar=90 MPH) and a minimum following distance of 2 (radar = 1).

Tesla also believes it would improve on phantom brakes but so far, pure vision testers still complain of phantom brakes.

Many people think pure vision is better because it could now slow down when it detects the first responder flashing lights for the current NHTSA investigation.

However, don't forget that a radar-equipped Tesla also has 8 cameras too! But Tesla claims it's too hard for radar-cameras fusion.

2) Will the images on the screen will now be real pictures as opposed to the simulated images on the current screens?
I doubt that capability for years to come because real video superimposed by computer graphics would take a lot of computing power.

• Funny
Reactions: freeAgent
How can I tell which one I have? I remember a disclaimer saying I "might" get camera only.

1) Date of manufacture: 4/27/2021
2) If you are handy, you can open the frunk and remove the cover where the button door is and if it's radarless, you would see there's a 7-pin electrical plug that is not plugged into a missing radar and it is taped to the wire.

See the picture in message #232 as pointed out by @twc:

20210604_111657-jpg.669548

3) Ability restrictions: 80 MPH, minimum following distance of 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocHolliday
1) Date of manufacture: 4/27/2021
2) If you are handy, you can open the frunk and remove the cover where the button door is and if it's radarless, you would see there's a 7-pin electrical plug that is not plugged into a missing radar and it is taped to the wire.

See the picture in message #232 as pointed out by @twc:

20210604_111657-jpg.669548

3) Ability restrictions: 80 MPH, minimum following distance of 2.
Interesting. I wonder if it would be possible to source a radar unit from Tesla or a breaker and retrofit to a Vision-only 3. Has anyone tried this? Would the software calibrate to accept and utilize the radar?

Alright, so the update to unlock 90 MPH AP that was promised in "the weeks ahead" when I picked up my Vision only Model 3 in June still hasn't been released? Do we have any visibility whatsoever on when these features that we paid for will be unlocked? Between this and the Cybertruck specs being pulled from their site, this company's marketing is based on intentional lies until they prove otherwise. Legacy manufacturers can't get into the luxury EV space soon enough IMO.

Alright, so the update to unlock 90 MPH AP that was promised in "the weeks ahead" when I picked up my Vision only Model 3 in June still hasn't been released? Do we have any visibility whatsoever on when these features that we paid for will be unlocked? Between this and the Cybertruck specs being pulled from their site, this company's marketing is based on intentional lies until they prove otherwise. Legacy manufacturers can't get into the luxury EV space soon enough IMO.
80 miles per hour is plenty enough for autopilot. It’s super inefficient to drive at those speeds anyway.

• Disagree
Reactions: Scelto

How was it promised to you?

Reactions: WhiteWi
80 miles per hour is plenty enough for autopilot. It’s super inefficient to drive at those speeds anyway.
Not in Utah, where the speed limit is 80mph. I just drove across Utah, and was being passed by semi trucks while stuck at 80mph with AP on. The update to 90mph can't come soon enough for some of us, at least then I'd have the option to choose to keep up with traffic in exchange for an extra 10 minutes at a Supercharger along the way.

Reactions: Scelto
How can a vision only Tesla actually work with FSD when multiple cameras are blocked or blinded. This is the case with my Model 3 every day. The cameras are not blinded or blocked when it is pitch black. I’m not sure as Elon said, that Lidar is a fool’s errand. Lucid’s Lidar is an interesting story.
Let's not forget that LIDAR sensors can be blocked, too.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, until you walk over there and look down and realize you can still see dirt between the blades, and you look back to your side and realize it looks greener now.

Reactions: Pkmmte and WhiteWi