Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's frankly shocking. Makes me wonder if there is error with the Tesla quote.

Did your father have USAA insurance? The reason I ask is I joined USAA because my father was a veteran as well. However, my father never had USAA insurance, so I did not qualify for low USAA rates...I was sent over to Liberty Mutual.

If it were me, I'd contact USAA and give them this info and see if they would lower your premium.
My quote with USAA was 30% more than my current insurance and that is home and auto.

I have been a USAA member for my entire adult life (father is a veteran). I just got a Tesla Insurance quote for my 3 and X and it was over $600/year less than USAA. Which surprised me.

Be sure that the coverages are the same. I found that Tesla had really low coverage amounts, and you had to update the coverage amounts to make them comparable.

Reactions: Tezzie and tvad
I wasn’t able to check before the algorithm change, but after the algorithm change it dropped to 100$ a month for me (in CA Bay Area). That is about 18$ less than my current policy, but when I updated the policy terms and made sure to put in my low usage of average 6500 miles a year it went LOWER to 83$ a month, so i’ll probably switch for that amount of savings.

Mine was 3x more than Geico for less coverage. :/

Same here!

From what I understand, Tesla is basically acting as a broker for auto insurance, which I have no problem with. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to accept a $2000 deductible, and when I adjusted the coverage to match my current policy with Geico, The 6-month premium with Tesla was $1572 for JUST the Tesla, compared to my Geico policy for $1408, which covers BOTH my cars. Also, I don't see that Tesla offers an Umbrella policy, as Geico and most auto insurance carriers do. So, I'm sticking with Geico, but will keep an eye on what Tesla does.

It's a good thing that Tesla is testing the market in CA first, because I don't see this being a profitable move for Tesla, despite any mark-up percentage the company receives on each policy it sells.

Finally was able to check the rates after they updated their algorithm. It was a no brainer to switch after quotes came up less than half what we're paying through AAA with 5x better coverage from Tesla. Keep in mind you need to call them to add 2nd Tesla as well as second driver but they haven't fixed that ability yet (2nd driver) so give them a few more days.

Reactions: ibGeek
Nuts, I pay $1,587/yr. for CSAA with 1,000,000 coverage and $50 deductible. Admittedly I have a ton of other cars and RVs and houses also with them. A friend has USAA and pays around $1200/yr., not sure why they won't take me as a member.

Tesla wanted $1,876/yr. for the same coverage.

The idea that statutory regulation makes customer service good is laughable. I am highly suspect of how Tesla (or whatever company it's ceding business to) will handle claims. Will they fight you every step of the way? Will they not answer the phone immediately when you call? Will they drag their feet to do anything more than a button click? Will they make silly mistakes in their back end systems? Based on my experience with Tesla customer service, the answer to all those questions is yes. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm waiting to see how it works out.

Reactions: rjdoc74
Tesla is good at designing cars.

They are not good at selling them, delivering them, or servicing them. Basically anything involving human interaction with customers.

So why would anyone want to give Tesla their insurance business given how bad their customer service has been with their cars?

And, as @AltLogic stated, how do you give them your auto insurance business when you also need other lines of insurance, like homeowners, umbrella, earthquake, renters, etc?

This is just another goofy idea from Elon that never should have been approved by the board.
They don't sell them as much as you buy one.

We just switched from Mercury and we're saving almost $600/ yr.
Mercury. Tesla
25K property dam. 50K
25/50 bodily inj. 100/300
25/50 uninsuredmotorist. 30/60
Bodily inj.
Everything else is the same. Couldn't pass up on this kind of saving. These numbers are what matters.

We just switched from Mercury and we're saving almost $600/ yr.
Mercury. Tesla
25K property dam. 50K
25/50 bodily inj. 100/300
25/50 uninsuredmotorist. 30/60
Bodily inj.
Everything else is the same. Couldn't pass up on this kind of saving. These numbers are what matters.

Actually, claims handling is what matters when you get into an accident. Do you really want an insurer that has a history of not answering phone calls, or responding to emails?

I sometimes wonder if this is some sort of scheme to get more cash on hand.

Reactions: rjdoc74
Actually, claims handling is what matters when you get into an accident. Do you really want an insurer that has a history of not answering phone calls, or responding to emails?

I sometimes wonder if this is some sort of scheme to get more cash on hand.
LOL. That sounds like most of the insurance companies. I get your point, we just don't know with a new entity. Mercury, Allstate and AAA we've had and even minor BS required multiple phone calls, forms and follow ups with repair shops
I'm betting that being all in house, things have got to be smoother... Right? o_O

Well Az-Rael, you fed me info I hadn't heard. You are correct! The policy doesn't name Enterprise per se, but says "You'll be reimbursed for expenses incurred for rental from "in network rental provider".". This isn't definitely Tesla or Enterprise. Could be either/or. I'm now going to make a few calls and see.
Thanks for the update and I will let you know what I find out. I'm glad it's covered either way but going back to an ICE vehicle, not so much.

Well Az-Rael, you fed me info I hadn't heard. You are correct! The policy doesn't name Enterprise per se, but says "You'll be reimbursed for expenses incurred for rental from "in network rental provider".". This isn't definitely Tesla or Enterprise. Could be either/or. I'm now going to make a few calls and see.
Thanks for the update and I will let you know what I find out. I'm glad it's covered either way but going back to an ICE vehicle, not so much.

Interesting! Keep us posted. I am very curious about this and since you actually have a policy in hand we can get further details than the website.

Ok. This is what I found out from my phone call. They have to have the car 24 hrs min. for the clause to kick in. If they have a Tesla available, you'll most likely get that, though that also is up to the service agent and SC. So again either/or. Clear as mud?
The coverage numbers are so much better than the old one and the cost is good. It only took 2 minutes to answer my call and the agent on the line was really on top of it. She also noted that as more of us get the insurance, the rates will improve even more. Her advice was even if you have one year policy check back every 3 to 6 months to check if rates have improved. They can adjust it. I bought 6 mos. Which was an automatic entry when you hit "Buy Policy".
IMHO, as Tesla Ins. matures it's only going to improve.
Thanks for feeding me some great info and making me use their system to see how it went. Bummer on the ICE rentals but according to the contract they will reimburse all costs. To me that also means the fuel to run it. As I learn more, I'll be back to this thread to fill you in.

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael