TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

Discussion in 'California' started by BobAbooey, Aug 28, 2019.

1. 11thIndian

11thIndian Member

Sorry, and you're with Tesla Insurance or someone else? Thanks.

2. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

The issue under discussion isn't whether someone you let drive your car on rare occasions is covered under the policy. It's how much are they covered for by the policy. The problem is that the limits can be different from that for named drivers and the mandated minimums are not really adequate.

3. azred

azred Active Member

There are dozens of insurance companies from which you can get quotes. No need to waste time with one who is treating you poorly.

• Like x 1
  4. Kdblondie

Kdblondie Member

Me too, been trying since last week & I pick up my 3 tomorrow.

5. Need

Need Active Member

I was told that if anyone with a valid driver license driving my car will have the exact same coverage.

6. FitYNABer

FitYNABer Member

Hey, so I'm not by any means a car insurance expert and want an honest opinion. I signed up for Tesla Insurance for $283/month for 6-month premium on 09/19 when I bought my car after doing a "quick" shop around. Today I was reading up on the "Tesla Insurance thread" and found a couple of people liked Wawanesa Insurance. I gave them a call and got a quote for $184/month for 6-month premium.

I had the Wawanesa CSR quote me apples to apples from Tesla Insurance and everything is exactly the same besides the price of course. So my questions are below:

1. Any cons to canceling a car insurance policy ~9 days after signing up?
    2. Anybody have anything bad to say about Wawanesa?
    3. Will canceling ~9 days later hurt my chances of signing up again for Tesla Insurance in the future?

Thanks, FAM!

7. dchobo

dchobo Member

#387 dchobo, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Tesla insurance quote is 16% cheaper than AAA which is covering our 2 cars now.

EDIT: OK I read Tesla quote online is covering only 1 person. Adding a 2nd person (spouse) will be $13-$16 / month - this will be very similar (still a little cheaper) to the AAA rate then.

8. FitYNABer

FitYNABer Member

I'm thinking about signing up for Wawanesa and leaving Tesla Insurance. I have a thread asking for advice on how Wawanesa is.. How do you like them?

9. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

That's true for my insurance carrier as well. But, the company makes it clear that all current residents of my home must be named individuals on the policy.

10. Need

Need Active Member

Yes same here. Household drivers or something.

11. Litigate88

Litigate88 Member

Tesla insurance was a savior for me. Saved me about two grand off my yearly premium.

12. Wennfred

Wennfred Supporting Member

Great company, will actually help you with any issues and about the lowest rates, you must be free of any infractions like in the past 5 years.

Fred

13. FitYNABer

FitYNABer Member

Good to know!!! I'm assuming they wouldn't have let me get a quote if I wasn't eligible.

14. Blacktess

Blacktess Member

I had to renew my registration for my Model X in California.
    I go to the DMV website and I get this message from DMV

screenshot-www.dmv.ca.gov-2019.10.02-08_49_06.png

I call Tesla insurance and they said they would look into it and call me back. I wait a week and they call me back and tell me I have to go to DMV and bring my policy for proof of insurance. She says Tesla Insurance is new and can' t electronically send proof of insurance. WTF

Anybody else have this problem?

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Banned

Not yet. Sounds pretty clumsy; not inspiring confidence. Hope they have this fixed by the time I need to renew my registration in December.

• Like x 2
  16. Need

Need Active Member

Wow. Last I check most of the DMV around me has appointments out like 2 or 3 months out because of the real ID deadline next year. I didn't even know DMV registration requires proof of insurance. I hope your registration expiration is still a few months out.

17. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Any chance you are a AAA member ? The local branches offer registration renewal. I believe standard membership is about $56 a year. Just a thought ....

• Like x 3
  18. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

Patience Grasshopper. This will get done in Elon Standard Time. :eek:

(of course the DMV has no such patience! AAA is a good rec.)

19. DougUnplugged

DougUnplugged Member

Oddly enough, my experience with Ameriprise was just the opposite. I was hit in a parking lot by some unknown idiot. I called Ameriprise after getting a few quotes, and they reviewed the damage estimate. Even though Ameriprise could have made it difficult, they agreed that it wasn't my fault and after my deductible, paid for the repair.

Ameriprise suggested a well-regarded repair center and they completed the job very satisfactorily. The repair shop even agreed to replace the fender rather than repair it as they wanted to.

I'm not quite sure what it means when you state that Ameriprise is "really not working for him and he’s having to do practically ALL the legwork." What "legwork" is involved in repairing an automobile? Getting the estimates?

20. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

My experience with Ameriprise was that I did have to do a lot of the “legwork” and keep on top of my claim. For example, I sent them the police report from my accident so they could get the other driver info and verify I could get my deductible back under my uninsured motorist coverage. Had to follow up with them a week later, and the claims agent hadn’t actually read my email and didn’t realize I had sent her the report. Several months after my accident they had not reimbursed me the deductible, so had to follow up again there. On the Tesla unique side, it took them two weeks to total my car, which was obviously totaled (pics in my sig), then the appraisal came back with my P85 listed as an 85. Had to correct that, which took several more weeks for them to redo the appraisal and get authorizations up the management chain to reimburse me the correct amount. Getting a hold of an agent on the phone was a bit like pulling teeth, I always had to call and leave a message, then make sure I was right by my phone when they would call back. You couldn’t get through to the agent directly. I ended up turning my rental in early vs trying to deal with getting the extensions while they took forever totaling my car out since they were so hard to deal with. I was also able to purchase my replacement car prior to being reimbursed, but not everyone is so fortunate.

In the end, I was “made whole”, but it wasn’t as seamless and quick as claims I have had with other companies previously. I still have them as they are about $1000 cheaper than other options, so I just plan on having to take some time off work, etc anytime I have a claim to do that extra legwork myself.

• Informative x 2