TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

Discussion in 'California' started by BobAbooey, Aug 28, 2019.

1. MrTeff

MrTeff Member

2. MrTeff

MrTeff Member

California law requires you to report an accident to the DMV using form SR-1.
    Filing a report with the police or CHP is not a substitute for this requirement.
    (It might be possible that your insurance company will do it for you, but you should not assume that it will.)

3. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

I see. There's a difference in a police report and DMV SR-1. Sounds like it's ok to go straight into filling out DMV SR-1 and skip the police.

• Like x 1
  4. Ken43

Ken43 Supporting Member

Sorry to hear of your accident, Mark. What SMAlset said can't be stressed enough. Wait at least 2 minutes after the event before depressing the Dashcam icon in order to save the footage. I had an accident last year and pressed the button immediately (thought I was doing a good thing) , and this caused the actual collision file to be lost/corrupted. I did report this bug to Tesla. Fortunately in my case i didn't need the footage to prove the other guy was 100% at fault.

• Informative x 1
  5. DougUnplugged

DougUnplugged Member

I don't know if you were using Autopilot, but carpool placement with Autopilot has been one of my complaints. Because Autopilot centers Tesla in the lane, it doesn't allow as much room for motorcyclists who are splitting the lane. I wish that Autopilot could recognize that you are driving in the #1 lane and keep further to the left.

And a suggestion; don't call your insurance company before you call 911. Your insurance company can surely wait.

Even Costco's Ameriprise isn't insured by Ameriprise. It is IDS Casualty Insurance.

6. Matthew Hill

Matthew Hill Member

I must admit that the motorcycle hit-and-run thing has me a little bit perplexed. In my experience (as both a motorcycle operator and a driver of cars), an "interaction" between a motorcycle and a vehicle as large and heavy as a Tesla rarely results in a motorcycle or rider that is in operable condition.

7. glgador007

glgador007 Member

Here's what the DMV says about reporting a vehicle accident. Traffic Accident Report SR 1 "In most cases, you will not need a police report to file a claim with your insurer unless there is extensive damage that you'd like to be compensated for, or something unusual happens, such as a crime taking place or the other driver fleeing the scene". I hope you are fine and the hit and run bastard is caught. Good luck and keep us up to date.

• Like x 1
  8. derkan

derkan June Bug

I've gone through this a few times now in CA. My suggestion is always always insist on a police report. Acquaintance who works at a local PD as an accident investigator told me to say I was injured, if necessary, to ensure the police comes out and spends the 10 minutes to take a report. Apparently in the long term police save time and money by doing the reports upfront instead of being dragged into disputes after the fact, and also, a police report makes the determination of fault between the insurance companies a very different game. Sadly many police departments apparently now try to institute "policies" of NOT coming out to accident sites to take reports UNLESS somebody is injured, but this is just plain wrong.

9. gocam

gocam Member

About to take delivery tomorrow of the M3 - have a reasonable State Farm plan in interim for my spouse and I that covers the Volt we are in process of selling to replace with the Tesla. Tesla quote online for me is a lot better, however, and with significantly better coverage so it is interesting. Sounds like that to get a quote with spouse as an additional named insured driver I first need to get the quote online, then purchase the policy, then call tesla insurance manually and give my spouse's info over the phone (? is this right ? License ID, DOB, years of driving etc), at which point they will manually give me a new quote. At that point, if it still stays looking good I keep the program, otherwise I need to immediately cancel it and get a refund for what I originally paid. Is that accurate ?

If so, this is quite mad for anyone that buys a car to share with their spouse, no ? Has anyone here gone through the process above and *NOT* had their rates hike up significantly. My spouse has a longer driving history than I, and neither have us have ever made claims.

10. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Elon says that that will be better in V10.0:

• Like x 1
  11. MarcCBR

MarcCBR Member

I used my Tesla insurance last week. They fixed a chip I got on my windshield the same day. I did not like the person that initially took the call. She gave me the feeling that I was bugging her by calling a bit on the rude side and couldn't answer any questions. The adjuster called me a few hours latter and was very nice and told me to go ahead and make reservations with Safelite and they would reimburse me for the charges since they have not completed their contract with them. Still waiting on the reimbursement check but that should arrive soon.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  12. Dazex

Dazex Member

WTH, my sister was driving in the OC freeway a few weeks back and a motorcycle broke off her mirror too and kept riding ahead. She was in shock at what had happened. I am wondering if it’s deliberate at this point given the two similar stories above.

13. MlTaylor619

MlTaylor619 Member

Its makes a pretty bold statement when a car manufacturer is willing to bet on its cars against an insurance industry that has far more data points to work with. It is also a little crazy as a business decision. However, I want to keep this positive, for I see a huge positive upside. Many accidents are at low speeds. If Tesla can succeed at redesigning certain sections of the cars with higher probability of damage in such a way as to allow for user/non technician repair (remove, plugin, and ride), it would vastly undermine repair costs in an industry that is built on an expensive process that needs some intervention.

14. DanLA

DanLA Member

This was the process for me. Maybe you will get lucky and there will be no adjustment to add your spouse. Please update this thread if you go through with it.

15. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

#355 Ulmo, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    All I know about is the requirement to file a DMV report. I had no idea law enforcement was involved at all.

Then again, I've lived in major urban areas every time I've had to research this or take DMV tests, so maybe it's different elsewhere.

Edit:

I see later in the thread other posters finally posted this correct information. I've never heard of any police report requirement in California, only DMV requirement, except where crime is involved.
    Great example of real life situation where an additional 3rd party camera is better than relying on only one built-in feature that we can't fix the rough edges.

16. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

#356 Ulmo, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    It's not legal per California Vehicle Code (the last time I researched this; they may have amended it since then), but the illegal law enforcement and illegal governors allow it anyway. The California governors and any CHP supporting them should be thrown in prison for constantly violating law.

17. devilmountain

devilmountain Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. HelloJohnny

HelloJohnny Member

Update: Just purchased my policy with Tesla Insurance, great deal and better coverage. Canceled my policy with Geico. I'm hoping my insurance will become cheaper with more owners choosing Tesla Insurance and having all the data for less accidents with owning a Tesla.

19. KSilver2000

KSilver2000 Active Member

That’s not competitive IMO. $400 diff is significant.

FWIW, in case anyone wants a data point, my friend with an X got hit by another parent while dropping off child at school. He is having the crappiest experience getting Ameriprise to process the claim and repair his Tesla. They’re really not working for him and he’s having to do practically ALL the legwork. Ameriprise is relatively cheap for a reason IMO.

20. KSilver2000

KSilver2000 Active Member

I second that to a degree. If you were in an accident and are in need of a repair, they move quickly to process the claim to your satisfaction (since you’re picking the body shop).

But, when it comes to paying you out on a totaled car, regardless of who was at fault, I think AAA is as worse as any other carrier. They will pick and choose the lowest comps they can find across a very wide area to pay you the lowest amount. And it is almost (not 100%) impossible to argue for a higher amount.