Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: V 2019.40.1.1 170kW charging, Neural Net for Auto Wipers, Auto Lane Change quicker

Did you get 2019.40 or higher?

• Yes

Votes: 152 30.1%
  • No

Votes: 353 69.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What version were you on prior to 40.2? I just got updated from 36.2.3 to 36.2.4, which is supposedly required before jumping to 40.x without issues, but I'm not sure how true that is.
I believe I was at 36.2.4 prior to the jump to 40.2. I took delivery on 12/4 and I was on 10.1 software direct from the factory. Quick leap considering I only had the vehicle for about a week.

One difference I see is 2019.40.2.1 is it now shows when your Premium Connectivity expires under the software tab. I was not expecting that satellite maps is a "premium Connectivity feature" and not a built in feature for the Long Range Premium interiors.
IMG_20191210_231341__02.jpg
IMG_20191210_232524.jpg

On another note can SR+ owners can buy the premium Connectivity package for $10 a month. I was always undrr the impression that SR/SR+ can never get premium Connectivity.

One difference I see is 2019.40.2.1 is it now shows when your Premium Connectivity expires under the software tab. I was not expecting that satellite maps is a "premium Connectivity feature" and not a built in feature for the Long Range Premium interiors.
View attachment 486983 View attachment 486984

On another note can SR+ owners can buy the premium Connectivity package for $10 a month. I was always undrr the impression that SR/SR+ can never get premium Connectivity.
So, if you have a LR AWD with Premium white interior (that you paid more for up front), you still have to pay the same $10/month after one year of ownership - same as those (e.g. SR/SR+) who didn't pay up front for a premium interior?

So, if you have a LR AWD with Premium white interior (that you paid more for up front), you still have to pay the same $10/month after one year of ownership - same as those (e.g. SR/SR+) who didn't pay up front for a premium interior?

Not exactly the same. SR/SR+ don't even get a free trial of Premium connectivity. (For sales starting 1/1/20, prior to that SR/SR+ owners get a 30-day trial.) So by buying a LR Model 3 with premium interior you get 1 year of free connectivity. A $120 value that SR/SR+ owners don't get.

Not exactly the same. SR/SR+ don't even get a free trial of Premium connectivity. (For sales starting 1/1/20, prior to that SR/SR+ owners get a 30-day trial.) So by buying a LR Model 3 with premium interior you get 1 year of free connectivity. A $120 value that SR/SR+ owners don't get.
That's great, and what did I pay extra up front to get hat $120 "gift"? $1000? $2000? I forget, but certainly the value is no longer there (for me). YMMV

That's great, and what did I pay extra up front to get hat $120 "gift"? $1000? $2000? I forget, but certainly the value is no longer there (for me). YMMV

You didn't pay extra for the connectivity, you paid extra for the extra ambient lights, subwoofer, extra speakers, included mats and carpets.

EDIT: Almost forgot the heated rear seats, LED fog lamps.

You didn't pay extra for the connectivity, you paid extra for the extra ambient lights, subwoofer, extra speakers, included mats and carpets.

EDIT: Almost forgot the heated rear seats, LED fog lamps.
Ah, that's true. I forgot what was included in the package. I just wanted it all and purchased it all, including FSD. Thanks for improving my thinking!

That is the boat I fall under with a 2020 SR+ delivered on 12/4, set to exp. on 01/07/2020

No worries. I couldn't justify the jump to a LR, but as an SR+ owner I am envious of all of the additional interior features that come with the Full Premium!

All of those features should have been standard across every single Model 3 especially since the speakers are in all the cars. I would think to provide the best experience in every car and only pay more for a larger battery and performance. Everything else being software should be included

Reactions: tren01t
All of those features should have been standard across every single Model 3 especially since the speakers are in all the cars. I would think to provide the best experience in every car and only pay more for a larger battery and performance. Everything else being software should be included

Getting rather OT at this point, but the rear seat heaters are in place and wired up along with the ambient lights (purely software locked), but oddly enough the extra speakers are in place and NOT wired up. Several SR+ owners have confirmed this in doing their own wiring. The entire wiring harness for the extra speakers, along with the subwoofer are physically absent.

That being said, I would pay upwards of $1k to $2k for a "Premium interior upgrade" if Tesla sent out a mobile tech, installed the missing harness and subwoofer, and unlocked the software locked seat heaters and ambient lights.

FSD. Standard AP will not do lane changes. You manually do a lane change which deactivates AP and then you reactivate it.
To clarify, doing a manual lane change only deactivates AutoSteer - TACC remains active (assuming you force the wheel or use the turn signal to disengage).

I am happy to say that my v10 update has just started to load, 25 minutes on WiFi
I just got V10 as well. For some reason I didn't see a range bump.
Not trying to be pedantic, but V10 started rolling out in August (I believe it was with 2019.32.12). What is being discussed here is 2019.40.X, which is expanding on the features that are considered part of the V10 upgrade.

Last edited:
Getting rather OT at this point, but the rear seat heaters are in place and wired up along with the ambient lights (purely software locked), but oddly enough the extra speakers are in place and NOT wired up. Several SR+ owners have confirmed this in doing their own wiring. The entire wiring harness for the extra speakers, along with the subwoofer are physically absent.

That being said, I would pay upwards of $1k to $2k for a "Premium interior upgrade" if Tesla sent out a mobile tech, installed the missing harness and subwoofer, and unlocked the software locked seat heaters and ambient lights.

Just saw Elon tweet "Sure" in response to this: Andrew Carney on Twitter

So maybe we will get some paid premium interior features after all @acarney ;)

• Informative
Reactions: tren01t
So can someone tell me how the neural network for the wipers work? I understand that you set it to AUTO to make use of the neural network’s trained ability to automatically turn the wipers on and off. What I don’t know is how to make the adjustments to the wipers.

If I have it set to AUTO and I want the wipers to come on (because they’re not coming on enough), how do I trigger them to come on and contribute to the “Deep Rain” neural network?

What if they’re coming on too much while in AUTO mode and I want to decrease the frequency? How do I do that?

It would seem that taking it off AUTO mode would be counter-intuitive and not what I would want to do.

Can someone clue me in so that I can teach my wife how to do it? Thanks in advance!

So can someone tell me how the neural network for the wipers work? I understand that you set it to AUTO to make use of the neural network’s trained ability to automatically turn the wipers on and off. What I don’t know is how to make the adjustments to the wipers.

If I have it set to AUTO and I want the wipers to come on (because they’re not coming on enough), how do I trigger them to come on and contribute to the “Deep Rain” neural network?

What if they’re coming on too much while in AUTO mode and I want to decrease the frequency? How do I do that?

It would seem that taking it off AUTO mode would be counter-intuitive and not what I would want to do.

Can someone clue me in so that I can teach my wife how to do it? Thanks in advance!
I have an M3 SR+ and this is how I make the Wipers come on in AUTO: On the stalk on the left hand side of the steering column, I half press the button on the end of the stalk. Then the wipers come on and wipe one cycle (fully to the left and back down). If I did a full press instead, then wiper fluid would come out as well. (I have no idea whether turning the wipers on this way contributes to the "Deep Rain" neural network)

(I have no idea whether turning the wipers on this way contributes to the "Deep Rain" neural network)

Thanks for the reply. I know about the pushing of that button but like you, not sure if that constitutes the way we’re supposed to adjust the auto wipers which can add data to the neural network. It’s mentioned all over but doesn’t say how we’re supposed to adjust it to contribute to it. What if I felt it was too sensitive? How do we do the opposite of pressing the button for “less”? If anyone knows, would love to hear some insight.

The new lane changes on this firmware are incredible. It changes lanes like I would and is more aggressive about defending the space it has chosen. My only worry is that it might miss a lane-splitting motorcyclist.

Unfortunately my radar has crashed both days I’ve driven to work with this update, both times in the same place. Red hands, take over, TACC and Autosteer disabled for about ten minutes.

So after 2 days with 2019.40.2.1 on LR RWD, HW 3.0.... AP only, no FSD. the autopilot is ping pongy now. When the lines are narrow on the freeways, it feels ok... There is slight ping pong Butbut highly noticeable.... As the lanes widen when I get to newer portions of freeway...then it starts to ping pong between the lines. Very annoying and feels not that safe if there were passengers in the car.

I drive the same 35 mile rate almost each day to work and I use AP on approx 80% of the route.