Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix headlights - black rectangle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have this issue where there is a small rectangle of black on the road coming from the drivers side light? It drives me crazy, not sure if there is a fix, or if it’s meant to be like that.

Attachments

• 357220D9-1FCE-4E37-9FE0-27E25BC8AFED.jpeg
    357220D9-1FCE-4E37-9FE0-27E25BC8AFED.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 387
Reactions: Skavatar
@Jordonlm I have this same issue too! However, after looking into it, I *believe* that this is normal. You can see this dead spot up close also when you park your car in your garage and then try to adjust your headlights via the service menu, where it shows "crosshairs" and there is a clear gap in them. I posted about this also here: Matrix LED Symmetrical or Flipped?

When I am driving I can also see a dark spot on the passenger side too. I think its normal. Nothing to worry about being broken/off/dead!

One of the big selling points to matrix headlights is the ability to mask of certain areas to not light up. This allows for fuller light coverage since usually headlights have to cut-off the light a certain point to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

Think of it another way, if you had non-matrix headlights such as LEDs or HIDs or even older halogen, your light cut-off would be at that lowest line or lower and across the entire beam. The area you're seeing around that is technically what you had to activate high beams for previously.

Try not to look at the void but all of the added visibility you get thanks to matrix technology.

This is not an issue. It was designed this way and that's why it is called "matrix", which has columns of LEDs separated by these dividers within the headlight housing, so that different segment of lights can be turned on or off depending on the location of the incoming traffic and/or traffic next and in front of you.

One of the big selling points to matrix headlights is the ability to mask of certain areas to not light up. This allows for fuller light coverage since usually headlights have to cut-off the light a certain point to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

Think of it another way, if you had non-matrix headlights such as LEDs or HIDs or even older halogen, your light cut-off would be at that lowest line or lower and across the entire beam. The area you're seeing around that is technically what you had to activate high beams for previously.

Try not to look at the void but all of the added visibility you get thanks to matrix technology.
This is not an issue. It was designed this way and that's why it is called "matrix", which has columns of LEDs separated by these dividers within the headlight housing, so that different segment of lights can be turned on or off depending on the location of the incoming traffic and/or traffic next and in front of you.

Not quite.

What you see in the picture is a “standard” cutoff for headlights designed for it. Doesn’t matter if it’s Matrix or not. My, now traded in, 2019 Honda HR-V Touring had LEDs that had the same cutoff pattern (dark spot for oncoming vehicles).

The benefit of the Matrix is ACTIVELY masking the headlight to changes in what is out there. So, the black spot is supposed to move with the oncoming car.

However, this is currently disabled because it wasn’t approved by DOT/NTHSA until recently.

This is why, for the time being, having Matrix headlights or not, makes no difference.

Reactions: mgs333
The black “missing” pixels on my MYP isn’t as noticeable as others have reported - as the headlight themselves are too bright, if not probably the brightest on the road right now.

Also for the stock headlight height, i’ve figured this by myself. It’s 27 clicks from the topmost setting.

Not quite.

What you see in the picture is a “standard” cutoff for headlights designed for it. Doesn’t matter if it’s Matrix or not. My, now traded in, 2019 Honda HR-V Touring had LEDs that had the same cutoff pattern (dark spot for oncoming vehicles).

The benefit of the Matrix is ACTIVELY masking the headlight to changes in what is out there. So, the black spot is supposed to move with the oncoming car.

However, this is currently disabled because it wasn’t approved by DOT/NTHSA until recently.

This is why, for the time being, having Matrix headlights or not, makes no difference.
Not correct. if you look at the MYP's matrix headlight there are several compartment/boxes with LEDs inside. The wall between those compartment/boxes are the cause of the dark spots.

Not correct. if you look at the MYP's matrix headlight there are several compartment/boxes with LEDs inside. The wall between those compartment/boxes are the cause of the dark spots.
I think you are confusing what is Matrix and what is normal “LED.”

What you see from outside is indeed the compartments for LEDs (they’re actually reflectors with the LED above shining down into it), that is true many of LED based headlights. Hence, they are designed for it.

But the part that makes the “Matrix” is inside the projector. If you remove the lens, you’ll see a circuit board with a bunch of little LEDs arranged in a grid. They create the moving dark spots you see in the videos showing it off.

One addendum is that when Matrix was shown to be used, it’s for high beam. Which, incidentally, matches the square pattern we see when high beam is on for Matrix head lights.

Reactions: GoVols!