Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That doesn't sound right. CPO did not extend the warranty on the battery. See if you can get that in writing, I bet they won't commit.

Yeah - I had it written down by them on the PPI sheet, so hoping that will stand.

I asked them to double check via the service center text...but they haven't replied yet

Hopefully they don't screw me and make me pay for a battery out of pocket... a big reason I pulled the trigger on the used S was because the battery warranty was so long

2012 P85 here, purchased used. 145,xxx miles. During PPI they told me the battery warranty was until 2024 (I guess previous owner purchased as a CPO and got another 8 years?)

I have never heard of the CPO program changing the battery/drive unit warranty. I have heard of some inventory/loaner cars getting sold as new after a number of years, and that is when the battery warranty started. (Though I think the actual warranty says that it starts when Tesla puts it in service.)

That would mean that your car was a loaner for ~4 years.

Yeah - I had it written down by them on the PPI sheet, so hoping that will stand.

I asked them to double check via the service center text...but they haven't replied yet

Hopefully they don't screw me and make me pay for a battery out of pocket... a big reason I pulled the trigger on the used S was because the battery warranty was so long
Even if it is not covered through 2024, it will still be covered today. There are no Model S's that have aged out of their battery/drive train warranties - and they won't until this fall, eight years after the first deliveries.

Reactions: IMCDC5 and MP3Mike
That would mean that your car was a loaner for ~4 years.

That would be unusual, but not completely unheard of. We have seen some very old (several years) "demo" listings on the inventory website which were being sold as new with full tax credit eligibility as they had never been put in service. One was a 2014 being sold in 2017ish as I recall (I was shopping for cars at the time).

Pretty rare occurence though, odds are more likely the service center or Tesla employee was giving out wrong info. As they are often known to do.

2012 P85 here, purchased used. 145,xxx miles. During PPI they told me the battery warranty was until 2024 (I guess previous owner purchased as a CPO and got another 8 years?)

Got the warning today, and set up a service center appointment for next Friday (14th)

Usually get 200mi for a full charge, will update after the appointment

I dug up my warranty to fact check. I guess my drive unit and battery is good for 8 years or 150,000 miles from my purchase date of 6/2016.

Your vehicle's Battery and Drive Unit are covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty for a period of:
• Model S and Model X - 8 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity* over the warranty period. Any Model S or Model X purchased prior to the effective date specified on the cover page of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty is subject to the applicable Battery and Drive Unit Warranty effective as of the date of purchase.

My apologies for the miscommunication. Yes, it is refurbished battery with an old outer case and battery built with all new cells.

I gave Tesla Rocklin SC my car on Jan 22nd, 2020 and they replaced my old HV battery with a refurbished 85 KW battery and were able to test it and fully supercharge it. I got the notification to pick up the car the next afternoon on Jan 23, 2020. The new refurbished battery with a full charge I see the rated range as 289 miles, which is higher than 255 miles when I bought the car brand new. So there is definitely some improvement in the battery and how the cells are structured. My model S P85 was built in March 2013 making is almost 7 years old with almost 100k miles on it, with the new battery it feels like a new car.

You have a picture of your Battery sticker? Does it have Part# 1014116-00-A? If so, I think you might be the 2nd person that got this new pack that I got as discussed here in this thread: New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+
I too got 289 miles out of it! :)

• Helpful
Reactions: dekuramen
My 6 Jan 2013 build has been throttled down to below 50kw on superchargers. I cant go on my normal trip to DC without adding 3 hours and overnight stay. I have trouble ticket with help desk. No reply yet. I have to call every week. This is getting ridiculous, replace the battery pack. They are trying to nurse it for the last 2 years of warranty. I have to keep nagging.
Anyone got any suggestions?.?

I dug up my warranty to fact check. I guess my drive unit and battery is good for 8 years or 150,000 miles from my purchase date of 6/2016.

Your vehicle's Battery and Drive Unit are covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty for a period of:
• Model S and Model X - 8 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity* over the warranty period. Any Model S or Model X purchased prior to the effective date specified on the cover page of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty is subject to the applicable Battery and Drive Unit Warranty effective as of the date of purchase.

It looks like you are quoting the current battery warranty, not the one you would have had in 2016. Tesla has removed the links to your original warranty in your My Tesla, so you need to either read the one you got when you bought your car if you have a copy, or e-mail [email protected] for a copy of the warranty in effect for you. You should have 8 years unlimited miles, no 70%. And, always download your documents with Tesla so you have your own copies.

Reactions: MP3Mike
CPO did not extend the warranty on the battery

I track the Canadian CPO listings regularly on the excellent EV-CPO web tool. The battery and drive train end warranty dates listed are not always 8 years from the manufacture date shown on the CPO listing. I’ve seen a batch of cars with Sept 2024 end of warranty dates and the manufacture dates varied from 2014-2016. Obviously there may be cases when these were loaners and never sold, but it was far too regular and this was seen from mid 2019 to today, so it also wasn’t just a 4 year extension. Just FYI.

Reactions: EV-CPO
My 6 Jan 2013 build has been throttled down to below 50kw on superchargers. I cant go on my normal trip to DC without adding 3 hours and overnight stay. I have trouble ticket with help desk. No reply yet. I have to call every week. This is getting ridiculous, replace the battery pack. They are trying to nurse it for the last 2 years of warranty. I have to keep nagging.
Anyone got any suggestions?.?
Software version of your Model S? There is a trigger in 2019.40.2.3 that evaluates your battery and (speculative) accelerates replacement.

This blog post is pretty good for analysis to each battery and what changed since June 2019 on all cars:
Tesla Supercharging - Summer 2019 Update
The 85 series batteries got whacked.

Yes I'd certainly agree the charge curve in this blog post looks correct to what I've been experiencing on my road trips in June 2019 and Dec 2019. Sadness...but as soon as the Cybertruck ships that'll be my new road trip vehicle and my 2015 S85D will largely be a local vehicle probably.

It looks like you are quoting the current battery warranty, not the one you would have had in 2016. Tesla has removed the links to your original warranty in your My Tesla, so you need to either read the one you got when you bought your car if you have a copy, or e-mail [email protected] for a copy of the warranty in effect for you. You should have 8 years unlimited miles, no 70%. And, always download your documents with Tesla so you have your own copies.

Thanks for your feedback. Yes the above copy and paste is the warranty that they have in My Tesla account.

I do have the original warranty paper booklet (pictures below). I do see that it starts with the first retail purchaser. Now I need to know when was the first retail purchaser. I will email them thanks!

Attachments

• 8FFAEFA8-F3A7-4FE5-9994-2D7FE28EBB5B.jpeg
    8FFAEFA8-F3A7-4FE5-9994-2D7FE28EBB5B.jpeg
    564.1 KB · Views: 102
  • E26CB333-50CA-4D6B-8600-3D99549E3E3A.jpeg
    E26CB333-50CA-4D6B-8600-3D99549E3E3A.jpeg
    508.3 KB · Views: 72
Should mention this was tesla cpo so hopeful that it will be covered by warranty .. already had one door handle, 12v battery and MCU replaced under warranty
2015 70D with 53k miles, bought used late 2018...got the ‘max battery charging level reduced’ alert 2 days ago, setup a service appt, have yet to hear back from Tesla..

Got my car back with a 75kwh battery, seems to be new cells since the daily trip charge level is now back to 227 miles, whereas with the old battery I was down to ~200 miles daily trip charge..

so far so good...

Hi!

Do I recall correctly from this thread, that so far batteries from 2012, 2013 and 2014 were replaced with the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" warning? But not younger ones, I guess. I am driving for four weeks now with 2019.40.2.3 in hope of getting the warning and I am trying to figure out if it is a false hope...

I presume the battery from the OP was probably produced in late 2014. Since I recently learned my September 2015 Model S 85 has a birthday (according to devmode in the car) from July 2015, I presume similar differences for other cars as well. And obviously the battery has to be produced earlier than the car :)

BR oaito