Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, everything inside the pack is used as one system. They don't turn on/off an portion of cells/modules/bricks inside.

There are some packs, like 75kWh ones, that were delivered in "60" model cars, and those had their maximum charge % reduced from an actual 100% to match the capacity appropriate for the model. (They used to allow you to pay to unlock the additional capacity, but people have reported that that is no longer an option.)
Thats good to know. I thought battery-gate was still there, guess I was wrong. Thanks

I had an appointment for today (Friday) to drop off the car. However I called yesterday after driving it to work. I got nervous. They said bring it on in since I was simply dropping it off. They only had 60s for loaners and they gave me the option to get a rental ICE. No way, I got a Model S 60 no tech package, but it has Autopilot!
They ran diagnostics already and confirmed that a battery swap is planned, but the battery won’t arrive until next Thursday. Hopefully my car will be ready next Friday.
Is that s60 the green color by any chance?

I just received the same warning message today 1/25/20. Scheduled an appointment next week. I tried to charge at the Supercharger and it was very slow at 24kw then after an hour 3kw?! I just got a total of 40miles and left the place with 60 miles total. Luckily I have a ice car for back up.
Info on your car, like year, battery size and firmware please.

2012 Model S Signature 85 with 97,200 miles. Still under 4 yr 50,000 mile warranty. FW 2019.40.2.3. The alert came on in the morning yesterday. I haven’t driven the car in a week that’s why I think I didn’t notice the alert like some of the folks in the forum yet.

Covered under additional 4 year and 50k mile warranty? This would also be covered by the 8 year unlimited mile warranty. However your probably getting close to the end of the Unlimited mile battery. Good you still have the extended to take care of anything.

Covered under additional 4 year and 50k mile warranty? This would also be covered by the 8 year unlimited mile warranty. However your probably getting close to the end of the Unlimited mile battery. Good you still have the extended to take care of anything.

I bought the car as a CPO in 2016 at 47,776 miles. Yes thanks I should be covered. I’m at 97,300 now. Just in time :)

Reactions: alloverx
What's your firmware version?

i think 2019.40.2.6

the replaced the battery.
the battery could only charge up to 285 km, first they said it all had to get stable etc.
after 2 weeks still no progress.
they ended up changing the battery again…
you only get a refurbished battery instead of a new one, and the warrenty keeps limited to 8 years total

I don’t get this message but mine stops at 98% and says charging complete despite it being set to max charge. (We have snow and cold so my normal 80% daily is using waaay more so I’ve been trying to max)

Only once tried a 100 charge, is bogged down at 99%...not going to do that again!

trying to decide if I want to call service or wait it out a little since it’s not drastically reduced.

Before dropping off my Model S to Tesla for the battery change due to the infamous "Maximum battery charge level reduced" I tool a shot of the battery sticker.

My car is a 2013/12 model and the battery is the following :

85kwh, 400vdc
1014114-00-D

Can someone confirm to me it is the original battery pack or an already changed one ?

Because I bought the car used 6 month ago with 206.000km so I don't know everything about the history of the car.

As a side question, was it normal with that pack that even coming warm with 5% remaining I never was able to maintain 90kw for more than a few minutes ? Usually it takes me 1h40min to do 5 to 90% supercharging. First hour of charging is around +230km range.

Just to know if I've been given an already dying pack from the beginning.

Thanks
Normal to have that rate since last year's updates....

I just picked my car at Tesla after a battery change due to the Maximum Battery Charge Level Reduced warning.

I'm not satisfied at all by the battery swap !!!! I had a 1014114-00-D before and now I have a 1088815-01-B and I have lost 40km of max. range. Previously at 100% I had 345km of range, now I'm at 300km (this is only 186 miles... 78% of the original range).

Previous battery had serial T13J now it's T13i.

I told the technician that this was unacceptable and he told me that the battery needs to calibrate itself and that I should do 5-100% charges a few times and that it will be good.

I have doubts to say the least.

@TalkingMind any update on your 'calibration' of your reman pack? Have you seen better numbers?

Reactions: cleverscreenam
2012 P85 here, purchased used. 145,xxx miles. During PPI they told me the battery warranty was until 2024 (I guess previous owner purchased as a CPO and got another 8 years?)

Got the warning today, and set up a service center appointment for next Friday (14th)

Usually get 200mi for a full charge, will update after the appointment

• Informative
Reactions: Fliptrader
2012 P85 here, purchased used. 145,xxx miles. During PPI they told me the battery warranty was until 2024 (I guess previous owner purchased as a CPO and got another 8 years?)

Got the warning today, and set up a service center appointment for next Friday (14th)

Usually get 200mi for a full charge, will update after the appointment
That doesn't sound right. CPO did not extend the warranty on the battery. See if you can get that in writing, I bet they won't commit.