Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update in case anybody is interested:

Car only charges up to 66miles now, after I got the error message

Will have to limp along for the next week until my appointment this Friday unfortunately

try a reset. Hold both scroll wheels down and at the same time the brake paddle and hold it until the Tesla logo

if this will not work, click and hold the car logo on the left bottom for 5 seconds and it send a bug report too tesla. Now they have a reference about your error

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Update in case anybody is interested:

Car only charges up to 66miles now, after I got the error message

Will have to limp along for the next week until my appointment this Friday unfortunately

I strongly recommend you get to a service center today, if not already done. Your maximum range could go down very fast from what you have now. Without an appointment, I think they can still take your car or put it in a waiting area until their earliest opportunity to look at it.

Hi!

Do I recall correctly from this thread, that so far batteries from 2012, 2013 and 2014 were replaced with the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" warning? But not younger ones, I guess. I am driving for four weeks now with 2019.40.2.3 in hope of getting the warning and I am trying to figure out if it is a false hope...

I presume the battery from the OP was probably produced in late 2014. Since I recently learned my September 2015 Model S 85 has a birthday (according to devmode in the car) from July 2015, I presume similar differences for other cars as well. And obviously the battery has to be produced earlier than the car :)

BR oaito

The batteries are replaced in certain circumstances, including when the maximum battery charge level warning appears. According to Tesla, it's a hardware fault (perhaps not in every case) that the improved new main li-ion batteries should prevent from happening.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I strongly recommend you get to a service center today, if not already done. Your maximum range could go down very fast from what you have now. Without an appointment, I think they can still take your car or put it in a waiting area until their earliest opportunity to look at it.

The batteries are replaced in certain circumstances, including when the maximum battery charge level warning appears. According to Tesla, it's a hardware fault (perhaps not in every case) that the improved new main li-ion batteries should prevent from happening.
The last line in his quote says: Will have to limp along for the next week until my appointment this Friday unfortunately

So he has an appointment :)

What is your firmware and car info, please. Sorry if you answered that already.

No problem, its a 2012 P85, 2020.4.1

My appointment was one week before the battery was expected to arrive at the service center and I called in and my service advisor agreed that it really wasn’t driveable. I got a loaner a day early. That was that.

Thats a great idea - let me give that a shot. Thank you

Reactions: gmo43
Data point from me...

2013 P85, took delivery in May 2013, approx. 53K miles, original "A" revision battery pack, current software version 2020.4.1

when new, it charged up to 255 miles when full.

Just did super charge test and 100% Level 2 test, no real surprises

Supercharged at 25% SOC and went up to 89 kW and gradually tapered off (acted normally)

Got back home with 175 miles and did 100% Level 2 charge. Went up to 251 miles and shut off (also acted normally)...

2013 P85, took delivery in May 2013, approx. 53K miles, original "A" revision battery pack, current software version 2020.4.1...new, it charged up to 255 miles...Supercharged at 25% SOC and went up to 89 kW and gradually tapered off (acted normally)...100% Level 2 charge...251 miles.

Same. 2013 S85 with “A” pack, supercharges at 90kW peak and 254 miles range. I’ve posted that I suspect Tesla is throttling others to the charge rates seen on early 2013’s because our early cars have aged well vs the cars that had more aggressive charge profiles on the later revision packs that allowed for rates well above 110kW when they were new.

• Informative
Reactions: tyler2323 and sorka
Just called Tesla Service to explain my range loss problem with my "new" battery pack.
They told me that the battery needs about 2 WEEKS of charge/discharge in order to stabilize and that "cells" will be activated during the process and that my range will increase progressively up to full capacity.
I have never heard or read something like that. I think they try to save time.
I told them I will call them back in 2 weeks since I have absolutely no hope it will change anything.

If anybody here as already heard and/or experienced this "waking up of new cells" story please tell me because it sounds bullshit to me.
Any update?

Great news, congrats!
was your battery charging to around 200 (@90%) right before you got the message, or there was some more reduction before the message?

It was pretty sudden...no warning or other funny behavior before the message ..

I did notice that my Wh/mile tended to be quite high (~300 with neither a/c or heater on) so maybe that is a sign things are going downhill.. average used to be closer to 250 Wh/mile iirc

After holding steady at 240 miles for a year (original 253 when new) I've recently lost a mile down to 239.

I've decided come 5/1, I'll update. The couple of days before that, I'll do a supercharge from very low to 80%, several WOT runs at various SOCs and datalog those, and snapshot my current capacity.

Really hoping the update doesn't lower my 1525 amp max to something lower.

On Friday I stopped at a super charger, plugged in , showed 36kw. I called Tesla. He said "all chargers are broke".
I drove to next location. It was 50 degrees. Plugged in, Haha 36kw. Called again, lady was trying to figure it out. I guy parked next to me. I asked what was he getting, he said 87. I screamed. He walked over, pulled my error log, "u have coolant errors". Lady said get a Ranger appointment. They refuse to send ranger, they expect me to take day of from work and go to service center.
Monday I did it again, this time I got 50kw. Moved to the next location, got same 50kw, it was 84 degrees.
Today Tesla started text stream, I stayed on point, " I have a rate problem ". And I have a coolant heating problem
""As for charging rate, there is no guarantee whate rate you will get"" so my previous 100s are now 30 to 50. Adding days to a trip.

• Informative
Reactions: gmo43
On Friday I stopped at a super charger, plugged in , showed 36kw. I called Tesla. He said "all chargers are broke".
I drove to next location. It was 50 degrees. Plugged in, Haha 36kw. Called again, lady was trying to figure it out. I guy parked next to me. I asked what was he getting, he said 87. I screamed. He walked over, pulled my error log, "u have coolant errors". Lady said get a Ranger appointment. They refuse to send ranger, they expect me to take day of from work and go to service center.
Monday I did it again, this time I got 50kw. Moved to the next location, got same 50kw, it was 84 degrees.
Today Tesla started text stream, I stayed on point, " I have a rate problem ". And I have a coolant heating problem
""As for charging rate, there is no guarantee whate rate you will get"" so my previous 100s are now 30 to 50. Adding days to a trip.

Could that be a failed louver? Do your louvers under the grill open when you are supercharging? Some folks have had severely limited SC rates due to the louver issue.

...they expect me to take day of from work and go to service center.
Today Tesla started text stream, I stayed on point, " I have a rate problem ". And I have a coolant heating problem...

You need to take care of your car. Can you drop it off at Tesla one evening, on a day off, or have a friend help? I think this should be covered under the 8 year / unlimited mile warranty (for the 85+ kWh battery) and they should be able to give you a free loaner so you don’t have to wait there. Just call and either speak with someone or leave a message, and I think they can work something out with you.

I think that is just BS...

Or it's a mistake or there's some fact we still don't know.

And just to clarify my previous response, the battery heater has NEVER been covered by the 8 year warranty. It's not an internal battery component.

Internal battery components like the contactors have always been covered by the 8 year warranty so it will be really interesting to see how this plays out.

Reactions: MP3Mike