Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one told me with what kWh of battery it will be replaced. Should I be aware of this?
It will be replaced with either the same battery you had before or a better one. Some people have received refurbished 85kwh packs in the last year but they only make new 75, 90, and 100 packs. 90 is physically identical to 85; additional capacity comes from the newer battery cells'' chemistry.

It will be replaced with either the same battery you had before or a better one. Some people have received refurbished 85kwh packs in the last year but they only make new 75, 90, and 100 packs. 90 is physically identical to 85; additional capacity comes from the newer battery cells'' chemistry.
Asking again, what leads you to believe Tesla is still manufacturing new 90kwh packs?

Reactions: MP3Mike
Wk057 recently sold one manufactured less than a year ago and the standard range S currently sold uses 14 of the 90 type modules, not the 100 type modules so they can make a 90 by adding 2 more modules to the standard range pack pack they are currently mass manufacturing.

What are you talking about? Didn't they discontinue the standard range Model S months ago? They only sell S&Xs with 100 kWh packs now.

What are you talking about? Didn't they discontinue the standard range Model S months ago? They only sell S&Xs with 100 kWh packs now.

There is no way they still make 90 packs anymore. But there is definitely still a possibility they have new ones left, like the V3 90 batteries since that specific model/battery only was available for 8 months. However I had a 2016.5 and had my battery replaced and told them I would only accept a new V3 battery. At first I thought I was going to get a 100 pack cause they said they couldn’t find any but of course they ended up finding a brand new one. Which was fine since it was the best of the V3 battery packs. #1088792-00-A for anyone that wants to know which 90 pack is superior. New it was getting 520kw and after my driving in ludicrous max constantly it was around 495kw after 4K miles.
Still was capable of 2.6 seconds 0-60mph 1ft and at its best 2.5 seconds

2019 Model S | Tesla

Standard Range Raven has 75kwh pack. They are not upgrading faulty packs to 100kwh, they will continue to make the 75kwh pack for quite some time just like they made 90kwh packs until as recently as the past year. And as long as they 75kwh pack is made it remains trivial to continue to make the 90pack. Doing so is much cheaper than upgrading everyone to 100kwh.

2019 Model S | Tesla

Standard Range Raven has 75kwh pack. They are not upgrading faulty packs to 100kwh, they will continue to make the 75kwh pack for quite some time just like they made 90kwh packs until as recently as the past year. And as long as they 75kwh pack is made it remains trivial to continue to make the 90pack. Doing so is much cheaper than upgrading everyone to 100kwh.

o_O Ok, so you are saying because they have old inventory of a Standard range one that they are still making new packs? (For something you can no longer order... :rolleyes:)

Similar to what I experienced except mine would only charge to 26% of 85kWh.

Message was persistent. You could dismiss, but red exclamation point was always present at top of MCU. Tap it again to see message.

I understand that there is a fault in some of the older main li-ion packs. The good news is that this has been corrected in the latest version, which you should be getting.

They "refurbish" with new cells... new chemistry is not capable of making 85kwh packs. 90kwh packs and 85 are the same, except 90is made more recently with higher capacity chemistry inside the cells.

S packs are the same from 2012-2019 they drop right in. The connectors are different on some newer packs but Tesla still makes both the old and newer packs - I'm not sure why you thought dual motor batteries are physically unable to fit but that's easily shown untrue.

They make replacement parts for cars you can currently buy brand and take delivery of next week.

I understand that there is a fault in some of the older main li-ion packs. The good news is that this has been corrected in the latest version, which you should be getting.

There is no evidence the fault was ever corrected. Until a recall is issued with specific criteria, all we know is it seems to affect older cars more than newer ones and the scope of affected cars continues to grow with no end in sight. At least one Model 3 (Bjorn's) has been capped recently, and while the cap appears to be slightly different than the S/X expected recalls, without Tesla telling us what they are trying to hide all we know is they are using caps to cover up a hardware defect of some kind with unknown criteria for inclusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: lightningltd
2019 Model S | Tesla

There is no standard range Raven. There is a long range and performance Raven. The only have those two choices for several months when they came out with the Raven. The Tesla you are showing is 2019 standard range that hasn’t been purchased but was discontinued awhile ago. It’s not a Raven. Ravens come with the new adaptive suspension

Seems really strange so many people suddenly getting this issue? I bought a CPO S85 a year ago - love the car but suffered the battery issue. I started with a range of 237 on a car with 12000 miles. After software update this dropped overnight to 207. Tesla said this was nothing unusual but then out of the blue I get this warning. Tesla have recovered the car and given me a nice loaner, and I'm waiting to hear what they say. After the warning the car wouldn't charge beyond 75 miles, so exactly the same as everyone else. Coincidence?

I have a 2013 model s 60 with 140,000 mi I have been running out of power with the battery saying that it has about 15 mi left. Does this charging level and kw seem to be slow on this picture? This particular supercharger has no one else present at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_20200110_164129.jpg
    IMG_20200110_164129.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 182
Seems really strange so many people suddenly getting this issue? I bought a CPO S85 a year ago - love the car but suffered the battery issue. I started with a range of 237 on a car with 12000 miles. After software update this dropped overnight to 207. Tesla said this was nothing unusual but then out of the blue I get this warning. Tesla have recovered the car and given me a nice loaner, and I'm waiting to hear what they say. After the warning the car wouldn't charge beyond 75 miles, so exactly the same as everyone else. Coincidence?

I don’t think you got a CPO they only sold used as of last year. Regardless of that I too bought a 2015 85D and range went from 260 to 244 overnight and I complained and eventually got a new 90D battery and 275 miles of range. If I were you I would request a 90 battery. No issues or capping on my new one and I will not charge over 90% unless absolutely needed and store the car at 50% state of charge and set up charging to finish right before I leave for work. Trying to make this battery last and pampered till we find out why batteries get capped.