Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU fails for the second time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More and more MCUs failing the 2013-ish year... as predicted :)

Needs to be a goodwill TSB to be honest, every single one will fail with a shorter life-time than their older counterparts due to lessons learned (logging, heat, etc). But that'll never happen.

Just keep pushing on the SVC people! Get your replacement and count your lucky stars

Picking up our late 2012 S from a screen/MCU replacement under CPO warranty. Part# on invoice is (1452455-00-C). Any idea if this is old or new?

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 10.28.21 AM.png

Last edited:
Picking up our late 2012 S from a screen/MCU replacement under CPO warranty. Part# on invoice is (1452455-00-C). Any idea if this is old or new?

View attachment 291502
Your part number is not MCU1 - so is this a screen or MCU replacement? For the unlikely case that you just got upped to MCU2, I'm sure you can check it on that website everyone's been talking about

EDIT: Strike that. The part number is not for the MCU, it's Tesla's "service kit" (which includes a particular MCU with another part number, I suppose)

View attachment 291502
Mine was (1452455-00-B) and it is LTE, versus the original 3G MCU on my 2014 S. I would expect the same for you and will be interested to know, once you check it out.

Reactions: wedge07
I'm sure you can check it on that website everyone's been talking about

Can you elaborate on this web site? I'm not familiar.

Mine was (1452455-00-B) and it is LTE, versus the original 3G MCU on my 2014 S. I would expect the same for you and will be interested to know, once you check it out.

Yes! Its an LTE, so free upgrade there. I noticed the navigation is more detailed on the drivers display than it was before - dots inidicating turns and extra street labels for example. Not sure if that's due to having LTE now or a nav upgrade. Much better either way. Center display looks nicer too and of course finds directions, etc. much faster.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I've got yellow borders on my main screen and asked for a replacement. Apparently, delay is *very* long in Europe to get the new part.

Part has been ordered about 3 weeks ago and the only thing they could tell me is: "it might take some time, we don't know how much, could be 2 days, could be 2 months". Yay.

Yes! Its an LTE, so free upgrade there. I noticed the navigation is more detailed on the drivers display than it was before - dots inidicating turns and extra street labels for example. Not sure if that's due to having LTE now or a nav upgrade. Much better either way. Center display looks nicer too and of course finds directions, etc. much faster.
I noticed much faster painting of map tiles and voice commands work for the first time, perhaps because of limited bandwidth where I live. (Even with LTE I usually see only one or two bars and it sometimes drops to 3G or no signal.)

Just picked my October 2014 production up after MCU replacement. Still 3g. Part number ends -00-L. ‘Part: MCU NA PREMIUM - Pre Audio GPS new maps’. No idea if this is a new version or remanufactured.?. While there they diagnosed I need a new drive unit. Car has been in for service 8x over the last 5 months, make it 9x when the back ordered drive unit arrives.

Last edited:
Just picked my October 2014 production up after MCU replacement. Still 3g. Part number ends -00-L. ‘Part: MCU NA PREMIUM - Pre Audio GPS new maps’. No idea if this is a new version or remanufactured.?. While there they diagnosed I need a new drive unit. Car has been in for service 8x over the last 5 months, make it 9x when the back ordered drive unit arrives.
Edit to include full part number: 1004777-00-L. Sounds like this is the old MCU.

Edit to include full part number: 1004777-00-L. Sounds like this is the old MCU.
It is. You can find all kinds of variations of 1004777-00-[X] on ebay, ranging from 2012 to 2015 manufacturing dates. The last letter I’m not sure what signifies, but I suspect it might have to do with geography. (There is a slight variation on one particular connector on the MCU1 backside - a purple one that is present on at least EU versions. It’s for the SIM extender dongle that EU cars have behind the cubby under the screen.)

That's some bad luck. In spite all of that, how would you rate your overall experience?

That's some bad luck. In spite all of that, how would you rate your overall experience?
I’ve just about had enough. My warranty expires in Oct and just about every day I get in the car I wonder what’s going to break next. There comes a time when you’ve just had enough and I’m very close right now. But, there really aren’t any alternatives. I drove the BMW 530e M-Sport susp car yesterday. Vastly superior fit and finish, quality, handling, and comfort BUT a huge straight line performance hit. I need HOV access in SoCal so I’m kind of stuck.

I have a 2013 S 85 CPO that i bought in October of 2017 and my MCU shut off multiple times after the latest updates. I brought it into the SC and they said there were some bugs in the hardware and it would eventually go away. I call BS but wondering what happens just before the MCU dies if it shuts of a lot more or what. Just need to know so I bring it in under warranty again before it goes out. I apologize ahead of time if someone already answered this in prior posts I read most of them.

I have a 2013 S 85 CPO that i bought in October of 2017 and my MCU shut off multiple times after the latest updates. I brought it into the SC and they said there were some bugs in the hardware and it would eventually go away. I call BS but wondering what happens just before the MCU dies if it shuts of a lot more or what. Just need to know so I bring it in under warranty again before it goes out. I apologize ahead of time if someone already answered this in prior posts I read most of them.
Best I can recommend is to take video with your cell phone every time it happens. This gives you both proof and an easy way of keeping track of the timestamps for the issues.

Hey folks. I'm late to this post, but here's my info, in case it helps anyone else out.

Back in October I had bubbling so Tesla replaced the MCU. I asked them to price an upgrade to LTE and they ended up doing it for free. The description on the invoice (covered by warranty) is

MCU NA,PREM AUD,LTE,GPS,MAPS,OGS
(1004777-41-M)

My car is a 2013 P-85 (no AP).

Same with me. But I didn't ask for it. I just noticed I had LTE after they replaced the MCU.....which is now far more broken than the one they replaced with constant reboots.