TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MCU upgrade/replacement for early vehicles

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Blue heaven, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Nuclear Fusion

Nuclear Fusion Active Member

Ahh, ok that’s logical
    That said, surely they could use more durable memory?

2. Blindfreddy

Blindfreddy Member

Has anyone pursued a statutory warranty claim on the MCU1? I am about to - as a component like that should not fail under 50,000km's.

• Like x 2
  3. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Active Member

#43 EcoCloudIT, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Agreed it should not, a major component like the MCU not only effects functionality (in a major way) however it also effects safely. On top of this Tesla have a moratorium on the parts to fix.

The MCU has a known issue of failure and it most certainly does not fit in to "fit for purpose" from the outset, a part that is designed to fail (in this case a 100% failure will occur at an unacceptable time elapsed time from new) is not fit for purpose by definition.

The consumer laws in Australia are very black and white and warranty for a component like the MSU does not end at 50,000km's or 4 years for that matter....push and I am sure you will win.....my first point of call would be to push Tesla to fix rather than going to the ACCC straight up....paying north of $150k for a Model S/X that has a major failure through no fault of the customer due to a design failure of the manufacture is a clear case of "customer loyalty fix"....I seriously cannot believe Tesla is pushing back on this one...someone should Tweet Elon.

• Like x 1
  4. rowdy

rowdy Member

Why push only to get it replaced with another buggy MCU1?

MCU2 upgrade seems to be best path forward. It sucks to have to fork out some $ but you get a better system.

5. Nuclear Fusion

Not sure why when Tesla car manufacturing was on pause, they weren’t prioritising MCU2 manufacture/shipping & getting service centres to prioritise MCU1 to MCU2 upgrades, worldwide. Seems like a way to supplement lack of revenue

6. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I should’ve done. I ended up doing a deal where I paid half the cost. My MCU died after about 100,000 km but less than three years old.

7. Nuclear Fusion

The more I think about, the more it doesn’t legally hold - Tesla chose to use substandard eMMC, so they should be liable

• Disagree x 1
  8. aaron0k

aaron0k Two failed MCU's on a S40 & S70D; both at 84k.

Agreed. It's a design flaw (more to do with unnecessary event logging/write erosion than substandard eMMC).

What irritates me more is the appearance Telsa is making a profit from replacing MCU's they're responsible for trashing.

Elon vs Reality.

"Our philosophy with respect to service is not to make a profit on service. I think it's terrible to make a profit on service," says Musk/2014.

"Some of Tesla’s $222 million in added services and other revenue in the third quarter came from fixing customers’ cars." - CNBC/2019

• Like x 1
  9. Jays200

Jays200 Member

I Tweeted Elon once and even got a positive reply. Nothing's happened since.

Jays on Twitter

10. Tasdoc

Tasdoc Member

Revenue and profit are not the same thing

• Like x 1
  11. brewster

brewster Member

Just had my MCU1 replaced yesterday. Looks like price has come down somewhat.

FYI. When I needed to charge from home from and keep ahead of phantom drain, using a 240v x 10amp outlet, the maximum rate I could charge at was 240v x 2amp!!

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  12. Nuclear Fusion

#52 Nuclear Fusion, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    How old & how many kms is the car?
    As for the tyres, get them replaced at My Car (previously Kmart Auto) - they will price match any online price, as well as include free puncture repairs (mine was puncture repaired 2 weeks after new), free rotation & balance every 6 months, free replacement of tyre if unrepairable in first year

• Like x 1
  13. brewster

brewster Member

2015 and 120,000 km
    I'll check with my tyre guys in Warrnambool. and thanks for the suggestion re-tyres!

14. Nuclear Fusion

I suggest you don’t get foam inlaid tyres - you save maybe 1dB of noise, but make the car less amenable to puncture repair, as the foam has to be cut out. Subsequently you may not get the tyres repaired properly & end up with ongoing slow leaks (take it from my personal experience!)
    I just got all 4 tyres on my X replaced & saved around $1200, by using Continental equivalents of the Tesla recommended Michelin ones, without the foam inlay. They are also more durable.

15. paulp

paulp Active Member

I’ve had 4 punctures over the years in my 21” continental foam inlay tyres. All 4 were repaired and none have leaked or given problems. I must have a better repair person than you. The repairer expressed the need to ensure the foam and glue is fully removed prior to repair.

16. Nuclear Fusion

Hence why I said “you may not get the tyres repaired properly”.
    For me, foam inlay is a waste of money anyway (& I do wonder if these tyres are less recyclable)

17. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Active Member

Me too, and the decrease in tyre interiour noise is far more than 1db....

18. ARMARM

ARMARM Member

Received an estimate for my upcoming service appointment and as I casually threw in a question about the MCU upgrade on the service request ... apparently I'm going to be remotely educated about it. Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 2.19.27 pm.png

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  19. aaron0k

aaron0k Two failed MCU's on a S40 & S70D; both at 84k.

20. Nuclear Fusion

People who have MCU1 might want to consider holding off upgrading to MCU2 when it arrives in Australia
    If you wait for the MCU1 to fail, you should be able to negotiate a cheaper price for MCU2!!

• Like x 1