Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU upgrade/replacement for early vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The more you drive, the more the MCU is logging events, and "wearing" out the eMMC memory. Unfortunately that failure tends to happen outside the warranty period.

Tesla seems intent on charging their owners for fixing their design flaws while pocketing some profit.

Per my tag below...
Ahh, ok that’s logical
That said, surely they could use more durable memory?

Has anyone pursued a statutory warranty claim on the MCU1? I am about to - as a component like that should not fail under 50,000km's.

Agreed it should not, a major component like the MCU not only effects functionality (in a major way) however it also effects safely. On top of this Tesla have a moratorium on the parts to fix.

The MCU has a known issue of failure and it most certainly does not fit in to "fit for purpose" from the outset, a part that is designed to fail (in this case a 100% failure will occur at an unacceptable time elapsed time from new) is not fit for purpose by definition.

The consumer laws in Australia are very black and white and warranty for a component like the MSU does not end at 50,000km's or 4 years for that matter....push and I am sure you will win.....my first point of call would be to push Tesla to fix rather than going to the ACCC straight up....paying north of $150k for a Model S/X that has a major failure through no fault of the customer due to a design failure of the manufacture is a clear case of "customer loyalty fix"....I seriously cannot believe Tesla is pushing back on this one...someone should Tweet Elon.

Last edited:
Reactions: rwpnote3
Why push only to get it replaced with another buggy MCU1?

MCU2 upgrade seems to be best path forward. It sucks to have to fork out some $ but you get a better system.
Not sure why when Tesla car manufacturing was on pause, they weren’t prioritising MCU2 manufacture/shipping & getting service centres to prioritise MCU1 to MCU2 upgrades, worldwide. Seems like a way to supplement lack of revenue

The more you drive, the more the MCU is logging events, and "wearing" out the eMMC memory. Unfortunately that failure tends to happen outside the warranty period.

Tesla seems intent on charging their owners for fixing their design flaws while pocketing some profit.

Per my tag below...
The more I think about, the more it doesn’t legally hold - Tesla chose to use substandard eMMC, so they should be liable

• Disagree
Reactions: LWI
The more I think about, the more it doesn’t legally hold - Tesla chose to use substandard eMMC, so they should be liable

Agreed. It's a design flaw (more to do with unnecessary event logging/write erosion than substandard eMMC).

What irritates me more is the appearance Telsa is making a profit from replacing MCU's they're responsible for trashing.

Elon vs Reality.

"Our philosophy with respect to service is not to make a profit on service. I think it's terrible to make a profit on service," says Musk/2014.

"Some of Tesla’s $222 million in added services and other revenue in the third quarter came from fixing customers’ cars." - CNBC/2019

Agreed. It's a design flaw (more to do with unnecessary event logging/write erosion than substandard eMMC).

What irritates me more is

Elon vs Reality.

"Our philosophy with respect to service is not to make a profit on service. I think it's terrible to make a profit on service," says Musk/2014.

"Some of Tesla’s $222 million in added services and other revenue in the third quarter came from fixing customers’ cars." - CNBC/2019

What irritates me more is the appearance Telsa is making a profit from replacing MCU's they're responsible for trashing.

Elon vs Reality.

Revenue and profit are not the same thing

Reactions: moa999
Just had my MCU1 replaced yesterday. Looks like price has come down somewhat.

FYI. When I needed to charge from home from and keep ahead of phantom drain, using a 240v x 10amp outlet, the maximum rate I could charge at was 240v x 2amp!!

Attachments

• MCU Replace.jpg
    MCU Replace.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 116
  • MCU Replace 2.jpg
    MCU Replace 2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: rwpnote3 and DrHoon
Just had my MCU1 replaced yesterday. Looks like price has come down somewhat.

FYI. When I needed to charge from home from and keep ahead of phantom drain, using a 240v x 10amp outlet, the maximum rate I could charge at was 240v x 2amp!!
How old & how many kms is the car?
As for the tyres, get them replaced at My Car (previously Kmart Auto) - they will price match any online price, as well as include free puncture repairs (mine was puncture repaired 2 weeks after new), free rotation & balance every 6 months, free replacement of tyre if unrepairable in first year

Last edited:
How old & how many kms is the car?
As for the tyres, get them replaced at My Car (previously Kmart Auto) - they will price match any online price, as well as include free puncture repairs (mine was puncture repaired 2 weeks after new), free rotation & balance every 6 months, free replacement of tyre if unrepairable in first year

2015 and 120,000 km
I'll check with my tyre guys in Warrnambool. and thanks for the suggestion re-tyres!

2015 and 120,000 km
I'll check with my tyre guys in Warrnambool. and thanks for the suggestion re-tyres!
I suggest you don’t get foam inlaid tyres - you save maybe 1dB of noise, but make the car less amenable to puncture repair, as the foam has to be cut out. Subsequently you may not get the tyres repaired properly & end up with ongoing slow leaks (take it from my personal experience!)
I just got all 4 tyres on my X replaced & saved around $1200, by using Continental equivalents of the Tesla recommended Michelin ones, without the foam inlay. They are also more durable.

I suggest you don’t get foam inlaid tyres - you save maybe 1dB of noise, but make the car less amenable to puncture repair, as the foam has to be cut out. Subsequently you may not get the tyres repaired properly & end up with ongoing slow leaks (take it from my personal experience!)
I just got all 4 tyres on my X replaced & saved around $1200, by using Continental equivalents of the Tesla recommended Michelin ones, without the foam inlay. They are also more durable.
I’ve had 4 punctures over the years in my 21” continental foam inlay tyres. All 4 were repaired and none have leaked or given problems. I must have a better repair person than you. The repairer expressed the need to ensure the foam and glue is fully removed prior to repair.

I’ve had 4 punctures over the years in my 21” continental foam inlay tyres. All 4 were repaired and none have leaked or given problems. I must have a better repair person than you. The repairer expressed the need to ensure the foam and glue is fully removed prior to repair.
Hence why I said “you may not get the tyres repaired properly”.
For me, foam inlay is a waste of money anyway (& I do wonder if these tyres are less recyclable)